Ruining your pedal board

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Use of discrete components makes it easily repairable (unlike many modern pedals - some with proprietary integrated components). If you're worried about failures, just get all the electrolytics replaced and it should/may be good to go for another 20 years.
.... and give those pots and switches a tickle with deoxit.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Use of discrete components makes it easily repairable (unlike many modern pedals - some with proprietary integrated components). If you're worried about failures, just get all the electrolytics replaced and it should/may be good to go for another 20 years.
.... and give those pots and switches a tickle with deoxit.
Oh, they’re tickled. Believe me, they’re tickled…

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
If you like stick to it

I am a Tube Screamer man. Have mine since 80s... tried many others, even an expensive K.O.T. and always come back to the TS

Until one day I had an epiphany... OK, I must be a TS guy and just embraced myself

No more pedal GAS since then
There’s something to be said for realizing what you like, and then unapologetically using it.

My wife and daughter criticize the way I make my coffee at home (French Press with Ethiopian Yrgacheffe and a splash of creamer). Well, I’m so sorry…then make your own coffee. It’s not like we don’t have more coffee (including other blends), and other methods of brewing (AeroPress, Chemex, an espresso machine and a plain old Mr. Coffee-style automatic coffee maker)…if you don’t like mine, then quit griping and make your own. I know what I like and it’s ok if you don’t agree with me.

As far as gear—especially pedals—I think a lot of us start thinking, “I need something different/less common so I don’t sound like everybody else—so I need to find me the boutique pedal that was made by virgin Himalayan monks in an oxygen-free environment to make sure I sound unique!”

Growing up in Texas, being influenced by all the Austin dudes—especially the Vaughan Brothers—I quickly fell into the “cliche” of a Strat into a TS-9 Tube Screamer into a Fender tube amp…and a lot of people got tired of that particular rig, or at least claimed they were tired of it because it was so ubiquitous…but it was common and widely-used because it was such a good sound—and it also allowed for your technique and personal style to shine through, even though you’re using the same basic rig 10,000 other Lone Star State Guitaristos are using…nowadays I play a couple of Telecasters a lot more, but the Strat still makes regular appearances, and it still sounds great.

Along the way, I tried to use other overdrives, just to change things up a bit; some of them I liked (especially the Danelectro DO-1 Daddy-O and the MXR M-66 Classic Overdrive, which both reside in The Reserve Drawer), and some of them I didn’t like (interestingly, the rarer and more expensive pedals left me a bit cold, especially considering the cost-to-bang-to-hype ratio).

I quickly realized the ones I liked the best could be dialed in to sound suspiciously like a Tube Screamer…so maybe I’m “basic”, but if it works for me and I like it, then it’ll stay on my board…so I’m still using a Tube Screamer into a Fender tube amp.

There’s nothing really wild or rare on my board, outside of my Lone Wolf Blues Company Harp Break (harmonica overdrive/distortion) and a vintage block-logo MXR Phase 90 from the 70’s…both of which can be found relatively easily…but the combo of my weird mostly-self-taught playing technique and mildly customized guitars (pickup swaps, No-Load Tone Pots) makes for a sound that’s unique and identifiable enough that you know it’s me.

Last edited:

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
If you like stick to it

I am a Tube Screamer man. Have mine since 80s... tried many others, even an expensive K.O.T. and always come back to the TS

Until one day I had an epiphany... OK, I must be a TS guy and just embraced myself

No more pedal GAS since then
Yep, I’ve realized I’m the Funny Cat, and I’m just gonna roll with it.

There’s something to be said for realizing what you like, and then unapologetically using it.

As far as gear—especially pedals—I think a lot of us start thinking, “I need something different/less common so I don’t sound like everybody else—so I need to find me the boutique pedal that was made by virgin Himalayan monks in an oxygen-free environment to make sure I sound unique!”
Actually, I used to buy the mainstream pedals other people did, because I figured if it worked for them, it would work for me. It didn’t always work for me. This pedal was serendipitous. My bro-in-law found it in his parents’ basement when they sold their house, and gave it to me because he doesn’t play much anymore. I never turn down anything free. Probably had it for five or six years before I figured out that it makes a good sound. And I’m much too cheap for boutique, although I will buy free-range artisanal versions of pedals if they’re in my price range.

And just for the record, AeroPress and black for me.

I can think of at least five excellent techs who could make that ship-shape for decades. Even then, it’s a Roland, not a Joyo or similar. I’d bet a can of computer duster and some DeOxit is all it needs for years of enjoyment.
I reached out to one you suggested, among others. :D

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hey Dan, I found this out there and hope it helps you! I'm no electronic guru but my guess is there's plenty of folks out here that could build this for you in a jiffy

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/r...unny-cat-the-guitar-effects-oriented-web-page
Thanks! I have good people on the case as we speak. I’ve seen the schematic, and entertained DIY thoughts, but I’m not Sparky the Wonder Tech. I can solder beautifully, but someone needs to tell me what goes where, and give me the parts.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Thanks! I have good people on the case as we speak. I’ve seen the schematic, and entertained DIY thoughts, but I’m not Sparky the Wonder Tech. I can solder beautifully, but someone needs to tell me what goes where, and give me the parts.

Ditto, man ;) Good luck on all of it and hope your build turns out well!

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
It seems to me that the Funny Cat has become an integral part of your sound & style. Instead of searching for a replacement, why not borrow a page from BB King? Mr. King was known for buying up Lab Series L5 amps on tour stops. Maybe it’s time to buy one or two Cats to put on the shelf for when the time comes, thus keeping yourself out of a rabbit hole.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm sure there are better sounds in that box than these guys come up with.

Yes. Yes, there are. Although there are also worse sounds. The trick is never, ever, ever use the Harmonic Mover. Videos like that are why I avoided using it at first.

A Funny Cat must be better than a Smelly Cat???
Yes. I have had both, so I have a basis for comparison. The cat I have now isn’t smelly, but like my pedal, she is too large and makes weird noises.