Rugby going the NFL Class action way

MojoTrwall

Tele-Holic
Since liability is my main professionnal speciality, I thought it would be an intersting point of view to share from oversea/different sport.

First class action against the World Rugby association, due to breach of duty of care, during concussion, alleging source of early demencia.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/members/03-11-2021/carl-hayman-doesnt-want-to-forget

Note that rugby is a professional sport only since 1995, and a career can be 500 game long (max played a bit more than 30 each years in the North, a bit lower in the south).

NFL is not the sole sport organization now alleged to have a caused massive neurologic disease to pro player.

Are all collective contact sport endangered, or should they follow the boxing way where fighters fight much less than in the 70's/90's UFC ?

gimmeatele

Tele-Afflicted
I have very contradictory thoughts on this, the main being you enter into these sports knowing what can happen, it is your choice, abdication of responsibility to someone else is not really acceptable. I would back this up by saying although he claims to have played 500 professional games, he probably played many many more as a school and amateur player, do how can he prove it was professional rugby which caused it? It will be something caused over his whole playing career, amateur rugby is just as dangerous as professional rugby, if not more so as there was only ever a first aider there when I played who would assess injuries.
It's a very convoluted way to go, if you get injured and carry on playing, who is to blame then, knowing rugby players, they will carry on regardless.

MojoTrwall

Tele-Holic
I have very contradictory thoughts on this, the main being you enter into these sports knowing what can happen, it is your choice, abdication of responsibility to someone else is not really acceptable. I would back this up by saying although he claims to have played 500 professional games, he probably played many many more as a school and amateur player, do how can he prove it was professional rugby which caused it? It will be something caused over his whole playing career, amateur rugby is just as dangerous as professional rugby, if not more so as there was only ever a first aider there when I played who would assess injuries.
It's a very convoluted way to go, if you get injured and carry on playing, who is to blame then, knowing rugby players, they will carry on regardless.

Amateur games are concerned, since it's under World Rugby supervisation.

The breach is in the concussion follow up rules, which were none in the base rules, allowing for dangerous situation to occur, without any safety mesure.

As far as I've played it, knowing the risks regarding knees, shoulder etc is a thing.

Early demencia for 40 years old player, and neurological sequels are really different.

One is inherent to every sport, the other really tied to the pro status.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yeah, there is a lot of talk about head injuries down here. As ex players start showing signs of those injuries..

it is a concern and rules have changed/referees hard on the slightest head contacts...

though, the dangers of accidental collisions are always there in contact sports....