1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Roy Nichols Passed 4 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tdowns, Jul 3, 2005.

1. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

It doesn't seem that long ago to me, but it was indeed a sad day.

LA Weekly Article

His playing influenced so many Telecaster players (and others too).

I keep thinking about Roy sawing off the sides of a Tele (with a circular saw) so he would have a small guitar to practice with in his bus bunk.

I was wondering if any of you would like to share memories of hearing one of his solos the first time, or a personal meeting with Roy?

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Here is my fav Roy story have told it before but there are alot of newer members here who might not have seen it.

This happened sometime around 1977-78 we were in this little rundown bar called Tex's Barrell House its gone now torn down long ago. Its about 11pm and Roy walks in. He has a few drinks and during the band break the guitar player who was a lefty asked Roy if he wanted to sit in. Roy said ya but I dont have my guitar with me. So he held the lefty guitar backwards and played it upside down and backwards. The thin strings were on top it was all weird and Roy just played like it was nothing we couldnt believe it.

3. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Jeez

Mark, of all the stories i have heard concerning guitar greats, nothing has hit me so hard as your one. We all know just how great he was but what you just said has floored me. Right, that's it...after my next gig when i think to myself "hey, I played good tonight" I'll remember that story and go back to the "just pretending" club !!
    Thanks for that Mark....!! ;)

4. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

Roy Nichols is the reason I play guitar today.

When I was a kid, one Christmas I got a little cassette player as a gift. One of the first 'store bought' cassettes I bought was the Okie From Muskogee album that had just came out. I guess I was probably 12 or 13. I heard a cut on the album called No Hard Time Blues. The guitar solo just knocked me flat. I listened to it over and over. I had no idea what I was hearing, but at that point in my life, I said, "I want to do THAT". I spent hours listening to the guitar on that album and subsequent Haggard albums and just dreaming about making 'that' sound. To this day, 'that' sound of Roy on his Tele is the quintessential Tele tone to me. Absolutely perfect-clear, bell like tone, up in your face, bent notes, soul, finesse, so tasteful. It is holy ground. Hearing his playing sent me on a lifelong journey. Thank you Roy.

5. lex765

lex765 TDPRI Member

Roy

I was a Haggard fan from his first record, but back in those days I was just hooked on Hags voice. I knew there was good playing behind him but I didn't pay much attention to it except for the overall effect of the song. Sure wish I had started to cop Roy's licks and style back then instead of just 5 years ago. I find something new in his playing almost every time I listen to him.

6. gopop

gopop TDPRI Member

Hey, Terry...

I never heard Roy in live performance, but I'll relay a story about my best friend who almost heard Roy live. Now, depending on who tells the story, it can take on a life of its own. I thought I'd share it with you since it occurred at a place we all use to play, The Melody Ranch.

Seems my buddy had gone to The Melody Ranch to hear a guy who, at the time, was kinda new to the scene, a guy named Merle Haggard. Rumor has it that Pat had been french kissin' Lone Stars for a while before the show began and, overcome by the moment, he had gone to the restroom . Not one to shy from a fight, Pat, standing at the urinal, unzipped, personality exposed, spun and threw a right hook into someone who bumped into him.

Things happened quickly after that. According to rumor, as many as "eight or nine big guys" jumped my friend and dragged him across the parking lot, still exposed, to the middle of Hwy 77 where Melody Ranch management met them and banned Pat from the club "for life." Almost as quickly, the show was cancelled - the guy who caught the hook was Merle.

Pat will neither confirm nor deny the event, but he has never returned to The Melody Ranch. The story will live in Central Texas oral history as long as folks drink Lone Star.

I know the story's a bit off the subject, but at least I know a guy who almost heard Roy Nichols live.

7. geddins

geddins Friend of Leo's

Re: Hey, Terry...

Would that be the Melody Ranch in Waco? I played there twice in the early '80's...for a piece of the door. I think we made $17 each the first time, and maybe $5 or $10 more the next...we were drawin' 'em in!! LOL

8. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

I just happened to be in the studio with Haggard in the 60s. During some editing and I picked up this tape off the floor. It has a lost perfect intro by Roy.

Lookin' for My Mind

Just kidding :oops:

I played my share of Melody Ranch gigs. It was a cool place to play in the mid 80s. Thank for the great story!!!!

9. Dirt

Dirt Tele-Meister

Wow, four years already. Time sure flies...

I got to see Roy play live in 1984 at the We Fest in MN. It was a big day for me. I met Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Norm Hamlet AND Roy Nichols all in one day. Roy had just come off stage. He stopped and chatted for about three or four minutes then went on to the bus. I was tongue-tied for sure.

My boss at the time hung around for a little longer than I did, (drat!) and when Norm came by he talked him out of the picks he used on the show to give to me. Roy apparently came back out of the bus to get his guitar case and my boss caught him, too. Roy gave him the red pick he used for the show and a couple Hag & The Strangers picks for me. He knew Roy was my main man. I have my pick collection stuck away and when I need some inspiration I get Roy's pick out.

(Ironically just yesterday we played a show in Duluth, MN with Diamond Rio and Tracy Byrd and I got signature picks from both of them. :) Not as special as Roy's pick, but cool none the less. Jimmy Olander can sure pick!)

My best,
    Dirt
    BuddyEmmons.com

10. gopop

gopop TDPRI Member

RE:

Hola geddins.

Same place, but you guys did really well. We use to have to pay in order to leave with our equipment.

All seriousness aside, I did pretty well. In fact, I did better than anyone else I know. I played for about twenty years and even after equipment, travel, and alcohol expenses I made almost $11.00. Not many folks can say that.

Terry,

Thanks for the Nichols intro! Maybe I'll quit being so hard on myself.

11. geddins

geddins Friend of Leo's

LOL Gopop....

In all fairness, IIRC we played Wednesday nite gigs, and maybe they'd just started having live music on Wed.....too many years to really remember....FWIW, at the time we played those gigs we were probably overpaid. We'd just put this band together, and tight would NOT be what I'd use to describe us at that time.

But for a snot nosed 19yr old a chance to play on a "real" stage at a place like the MR was all that mattered. My best friend was the drummer, and we were the young uns in the band, and ate it completely up. What fun that was.

12. lex765

lex765 TDPRI Member

intro

Terry, that tape was too cool, great intro. Wonder how those takes were counted? You think that was over 9,000 takes on that sessions?
    "Pick a little harder Roy", is going into my favorite quote bin alongside "Needs more cowbell".

13. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Re: intro

lex765,
    No. Go back and listen again. The 59 thousand number is the album number. The take number is announced right after the album number. The clip begins with take #2.

14. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Here is an excerpt from the Tom Carter book "House of Memories".

15. geddins

geddins Friend of Leo's

LOL, that'd get somebody sued today! I listened to some Mighty Merle today, and just kept catching myself say "man, listen to that"......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.