Roy Halliday -- What a Game!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jwsamuel, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

By about the 7th inning, he also had nine 0-2 counts. Easy to be successful when you put yourself in a good position early in the count.

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Doctober!!

3. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

he faced 28 batters. 25 first pitch strikes. precision.

4. Telefone

Telefone Tele-Holic

Yep what a year for pitchers. Funny how that works in the post "roid" era. This is how it's supposed to be! Great game. You Philly fans are a lucky bunch.
    Good luck the rest of the way.

5. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Somebody made the analogy/comparison of him being a bigger, harder throwing version of Greg Maddux. I thought that was pretty accurate. Roy's better of course.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

6. soultosoul13

soultosoul13 Tele-Meister

i couldnt even sleep last night, still a little jacked up today! im not a phillies fan, but as a HUGE baseball fan-that was one of the most unbelievable things ive ever seen!!!

7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

i think a lot of credit has to be given to the managing and coaching staff. charlie and his coaches do a tremendous job of putting together a solid, well drilled and rehearsed team. they are TIGHT! any of their pitchers know that, most of the time, they have a really great defense backing them up.

and, even with this precision, they are allowed to "do their own thing," to the best of their abilities... and those abilities are, obviously, very profound.

ive seen a lot of great baseball teams over the last 50 years. this years phillies team, right now, is one of the best ive ever seen. its as though they were made to play together...

...and thats a sure sign.

rand z

8. AlanC

AlanC Tele-Meister

well said Rand Z-- and charlie got a lot of flack when he took over-- they are not talkin' as loud now!

9. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Charlie did get a lot of flack initially, people in Philly (myself included) still liked Bowa, though I came to realize his approach and temperament didn't work as well with these guys. You can tell these guys truly love playing for Charlie. (Though I still disagree with Rollins leading off)

It is a strange feeling for me however, with the Phils being so popular and well liked nationally. I kind of prefer being the up and coming underdog team with something to prove. It seems like everyone has them automatically in the Series and the favorite to win it. They aren't without flaws. Their lineup tends to go cold all at the same time, Howard's a K machine, and as awesome as their starting pitching is their bullpen can be shaky.

Back to the good stuff. Brad Lidge has finished strong. Their top 3 starters (H20, The Bermuda Triangle, etc) are THAT good and as others have said, they play great defense and have all the intangibles as a great team that's been there and done it before. Should be another great ride!

10. ll144tele

ll144tele TDPRI Member

Don't forget Ruben Amaro has a lot to do with the Phillies climb.

11. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Yea, Amaro went from being goat (Cliff Lee trade) to hero (Oswalt trade) really fast around here. He's done a good job. Pat Gillick really started the ball rolling too after the mess that was Ed Wade.

Let me stop though, it's only one game into the playoffs. World Series or bust.

12. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Unbelievable game by one of the best.

I guess now the Yankees will offer him 65 million a year ..........

13. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

The Yanks are gonna have to wait until 2014 to do that.

Both Roy's are here for now. Halladay thru 13' and Oswalt thru at least next year.

14. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

That's a good one!

Edit: I had a beer with Mr. October in 1980!

15. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

Ed Wade has been a great GM for the Phillies. Just remember that after Wade became the GM of the Astros, he traded Brad Lidge to the Phils for the 2008 season and this year, he traded Roy Oswalt to the Phillies.

How much better could a GM do for the Phillies than what Wade has done for them over the past three seasons?

Jim

16. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

For what it's worth I think his last regular season game was a 2 hitter against the Nats. I don't think that he gets those jitters, he's not like us mere mortals. I think it's hilarious Oswalt gets called Little Roy. He's an amazing pitcher in his own right, but when you're next to Doc I guess there's a big shadow haha. 1 Game's good, another parade would be better.

17. CrowePhil

CrowePhil Tele-Meister

Amazing performance. Congrats to Roy.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

morroben, I know what you are thinking... it looks like after roy's earlier no hitter, the next game he gave up 10 hits in 7 innings against the Padres in a win... but then lost 3 games in a row after that...

Dallas Braden, had a terrible slump after his perfect game this year, so, anything can happen.

I think the Big Roy vs. Little Roy thing is --> Halladay = 6'6" and Oswalt = 5'10" (listed at 6'0" but uh, I've seen him stand next to Lincecum and Lincecum was a little taller and he is listed as 5'11", I've stood next to TL and I don't think he was that tall... hence, little roy.

They are both awesome pitchers.

19. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

Halladay is amazing. I don't know what more I can possibly say about the guy.
    At first I was steamed because they traded Cliff Lee after he had as good a playoffs as anyone could ever ask of a pitcher.
    I still think they could have kept him another season since he was under contract & all. But no use cryin over spilt milk.
    Things look like they worked out pretty well.
    The Phils have the best starting rotation in the game. Maybe the best ever.
    They sure are a far cry from the team I used to listen to on my transistor radio & get slap happy whenever they won back to back games. That didn't happen often back in the late 60s & early 70s.
    Nowadays ya just expect them to win all the time.

20. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

:lol: "It's funny because it's true." Homer Simpson

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.