1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Roy Buchanan

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Kingtone, Sep 22, 2005.

1. RockinCarl

RockinCarl Tele-Afflicted

He could've just put the switch in-between the neck position (2nd position), and the lead position.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

:rolleyes:

It ain't the pickups. It's the man.

3. sidneystreet

sidneystreet Tele-Afflicted

Assuming the "Nancy" guitar really did take Roy's playing and sound to a whole other level, why in the world do we discount the guitar itself in the equation, and instead focus on these Holy Grail pickups?

My experience has been that a great sounding guitar is the jumping off point for great pickup performance. Putting Hamels in a Hondo tele copy isn't going to do miracles. But, even average pickups in a singing, resonant 50's tele will sound phenomenal.

4. Buck Cannon

Buck Cannon Banned

OK so we all must play "Musicial Chairs" with my L

Mabye what everyone needs to understand is thye pickups were needed for a "Roy Buchanan Tribute Show"

NOTHING on todays market worked like it should... there were problems..

Then I played NANCY and went to work trying to get that sound...

I got pickups that WORK HERE JUST FINE...

I would not attempt to do a ROY SHOW without them..

IF Your Playing the MANS Licks from "one era"... then you may JUST NEED the pickups...

Turns out "that era" ain't so COMMON 1950 to 1953

and some VERY different things from todays common place were in effect.

They were all done by Hand... meaning its a long shot to try to fully re-create any one single set for the 50's

The Ones I have here I TREASURE...

SURE ROY COULD PICKUP ANY GUITAR AND SOUND LIKE ROY....

I can pretty much do it do...

But timbre's of sound are for the prefectionist and the audince deserves to hear Roy Buchanan.. In The way your caliming he did-- or they get bummed--and e-mail you that if you think that tone sounded like Roy Then SHAME ON ME--- I used to get those-- I don't anymore-- I get the oppisite- even from people close to Roy...

I like being on the money-- It makes Roy Buchanan Fans that much more happy to hear me play..

End of story... IT'S BEEN A PAINFULL BAD THREAD TO START WITH!
    FYI-- I lost two close VERY IMPORTANT friend's because of this VERY THREAD being started!

5. petebradt

petebradt Former Member

This is the correct '53 Telecaster. I always laugh my arse off at people who try to copy another's tone. You ca't. No one can. Sorry.

6. Buck Cannon

Buck Cannon Banned

it's not a matter of no one can.. as in ON- OR -OFF like a switch..

its a precentage %%%%% game we all play..

theres a precent you ABSOLUTY can achive.

the more the better when your representing someones tone as "this is how it sounded" -- or if your a tribute group.

these re-occuring "TONE CLICHE's" are IMHO proof of a growing group mentailty... not just on this thread but here there and ever where...

I'll take the blows from the group rather then conform anyday! :lol:

7. Bob Davis

Bob Davis TDPRI Member

Hey Buck..............

I've read in several or your previous postings that you say that you not only play like Roy, but you actually sound like Roy. In 30 years I've never heard any one do this other than Jim Campilongo, and he doesn't brag about it at all. Is it at all possible for you to post a sample of your playing off that live CD you sell on your web site? I'm sure we'd all enjoy hearing this..........

Thanks,
    Bob

8. Buck Cannon

Buck Cannon Banned

Hey Bob............

I'm in the studio today--even--now working on the new CD with the Label...Train Bridge Records.. The CD is titled Come On Home to the Tele... Its going to be all originails with my Nancy like guitars.. doing as much of Roys style as God allows.

Sorry, But---
    I cannot release any of it!! not untill the official realese dates.
    Then only a week or two before the dates can send out samples.. and put up bites.. were looking at June 06...If i'm lucky here..

the reason I mention this is -- this CD will have these Nancy like guitars all over it.

The older CD does not -- its more of a Led Zep meets Buchanan distortion thing...it was a Duncan Broadcaster Bridge and a 5-2 Nashvile Neck into a Hot Rod 2x12 Deville with the red gain channel lit up on 3...

Even at that...its the CD that generated all the QUOTES about me sounding aLOT like ROY--
    PLEASE keep in mind... It ain't just me saying this STUFF OR MAKING UP LIES.. its like AT LEAST 100 people and at least 20 HAVE offered QUOTES at my web site..

We all have to wait for the Nancy comparing,
    Or get my old 2004 CD from my web page-- that even with the distotion being a bit too much. over 100 people still swear that it was the closest ever to Roy that they heard anyone do.!

BRAGGING.......??
    Not all that much -- am I really....... I hope I am at least a little ..cause in this bussiness ya need to get used to bragging yourself up a little..
    Maybe Jim can afford not to Brag..$$$

Most of us will need to-- inorder to get anywhere, ya need to be sure of your skills and not not be too modest
    and sell youself short out there.

cheers :rolleyes:

:D

I do this because its what I have to do.. it's in my blood and its unstoppable... If I can sound more like Roy as time goes on then all the better for few Roy fans who come out to see me,, If I sound like Led Zeppelin playing Roy~~~ Well 99% of the club would never know the diff.. anywhoo.. Roy was and still is the Worlds Greatest "unknown" Guitarist.

Thats why having this Band is a nightmare... Gigs are hard to get and so our Fans..
    Once they see us they love it and come back often-- most are there everytime... still not enough numbers for us to headline.. and we get dogged out of openers cause roumor spread that we BLOW AWAY the main acts..

so we hang on and buy time.. so one day we can gain that Headline spot. (we hope)

9. petebradt

petebradt Former Member

My question is, why would you want to?

10. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Hey Buck!

I wondered about the singing. Do you try to emulate Roy's singing , or the various singers he had in his band at different times?------------cheers!------JIMO

11. Buck Cannon

Buck Cannon Banned

Hey Santa's coming to a mall near you all soon ...
    I really think this year -- that they really don't need Red Suits and white hair and beards and bells... or the fake Ho-ho-ho-merry-Christmas-- bellowing voice.... just an old pair of Levis and a tee shirt and a ball cap and there own "special unique voice"is all they really need cause we all know its really santa anways right... and the kids will go set in his lap and let him know what they want for christmas while mom and dad pays for the ===== photo ---- :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

12. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I understand it was 5:00AM but...hhhmmm...that relates to this Roy thread in what way???? :eek:

13. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I'll bite.

If you impersonate Santa you need the suit.

If you impersonate Roy you need the pickup.

Maybe I've been on the TDPRI too long! :lol:

14. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

OOOOOhhhhhhh....I'm like Edith on the uptake today :D .

15. plaintop

plaintop Tele-Meister

I believe this is true to a point. You can't have one without the other though. Listen to Clapton's Bluesbreakers record. Do you think he could have gotten' that tone from anything other than a cranked Marshall and an old 'burst? The tone inspired him to go there. It was a vehicle that drove his playing. I believe this is very true of Roy as well. That blackguard tone is OUT THERE. Anyone who has every played the real deal knows this....that tone will take you places you have never been before. It's very primitive and inspiring.

So, yeah, it was Roy all the way, but you can't discount the guitar/tone as a template to guide and inspire.

16. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

so when do we start talking about roy's tone in the 80's when he was playing the les paul goldtop and the les paul customs and the fitz guitars with the emgs??? isn't that all "roy tone" too.......???

he had a great, individual tone no matter what he picked up and played. his style and tone was his own. i liked it. i went to see him, i bought his albums, later on, cd's. now he's gone, that sucks bad, i move on....

17. plaintop

plaintop Tele-Meister

Not that I take anything personally, but I never said he didn't sound like himself using guitars other than blackguard Tele's...all I'm saying is that he developed a style around the abilities of that guitar and the variations of it's tone.

18. Buck Cannon

Buck Cannon Banned

Jingle-Bells-Jingle-bells -Jingle all the way!

"Mucho Emoticons"

Cheers
    Santa Cannon

19. BlueMidnight

BlueMidnight Tele-Meister

"Roy was and still is the Worlds Greatest "unknown" Guitarist. "

So, why are you torturing yourself trying to sell tickets to a tribute band of an "unknown" artist? It seems to me that if you took all the energy you put into playing like Roy and sounding like Roy and had put it into developing your own playing, you would be able to sell your band to clubowners based on your own guitar virtuosity.

20. Buck Cannon

Buck Cannon Banned

Good points,
    thanks for taking time to ask me,

well I have too...
    cause if I don't who will...
    then Roys music dies a little further-- I have actually managed to increase Roy Buchanans record sells and an general awarness to his music at least within these small circles I travel-- and its growing daily--

Don Mare sucks-- he spent 25 years being Don Mare -- and got nowhere,
    actually this has and is getting me further-- and as hard as it is... its becoming worth it a little more every day..

thanks! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.