Roy Buchanan Hot Cha technique help

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by omlove, Jun 6, 2019.

1. omlove

omlove TDPRI Member

I'm so mesmerized by this tune and learning it note for note. It's pretty straight forward until I met the bit at 3:35

link to song at that particular time

Could you please kindly help and tell me what he was doing in that fuzzy part? I cannot tell what the notes are and they sound like ghost notes?

Many thanks.

2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

He's just muting the strings at that point....could be a 'palm mute' or he could simply be not fully pressing down on the strings with his fretting hand.....sounds to me like a fairly straightforward pentatonic type lick.

In case you don't already know this, on the YT video that you've linked to if you click on the 'settings' icon (the round gear looking thing) it will open and you can select a playback speed to slow it down...for example I clicked on .75 (3/4 of the normal speed) and even slowing it down that much made what he's playing far easier to hear. Good luck.

stinkey likes this.
  3. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've got the tab if you're interested.

Rumblur likes this.
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

that is a great piece of music and would be very worthwhile for a band to play, especially if you've got a good keyboard player.

5. omlove

omlove TDPRI Member

@zimbo Thanks a lot for the tab! Really appreciate it.

As I am learning the song, pinch harmonic on bridge pickup turned out to be a bigger problem (3rd verse).... How do you make it sound as loud as normal notes and how do you pick accurately when improvise?

6. omlove

omlove TDPRI Member

Also, I don't know if it's my misperception, the band seems to be playing faster and faster throughout the song. Is this on purpose? I found my fingers getting too busy and too nervous two minutes in...

7. Rumblur

Rumblur TDPRI Member

I would be interested in that!

Hot Cha and Soul Dressing are the 2 songs that always stood out and grabbed me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.