Roy Buchanan Gear

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dylanfan424, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Well, I would like to read that book that's been mentioned on this thread. Never seen it, but I will seek it out.

Roy was a badass player of any genre he chose, I think all will agree on that.

2. Cliff Hanson

Cliff Hanson TDPRI Member

roy on "the old grey whistle test" bbc tv

I'm sure that I remember seeing Roy on the BBC's OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST program years ago, having previously read somewhere that he used to lay his amp face down on the floor with all controls maxed out, sure enough there he was on this show with the amp face down (a Fender Twin, I think). Don't know if you guys in the U.S. can get any hook up with BBC programs, maybe there is some footage of it on You Tube? If you can happy viewing.
    Cliff Hanson U.K.

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

"Roy Buchanan: American Axe" by Phil Carson is one of the best, and not least, most honest biographies I've read. I read it twice in one years time ... I strongly recommend it.

And yes!, Roy could play anything he chose to play almost equally well. He was one of the few rock/blues players that was acknowledged by jazz players. Normally jazz musicians (especially at that time) would look down their noses at rock or blues players.

4. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

Don posts here all the time...

5. dylanfan424

dylanfan424 Tele-Meister

Yeah I am dying to read American Axe just sadly I can't afford any extras at the moment my wife is laid off and I just got a new job. So cash is tight in my house but it is definitely on my must read list.

6. Telemarkman

7. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that. After reading the article I had a new thought--how similar in some ways the careers of Roy Buchanan and Lenny Breau were. Both were superheros to me in the 1970's. At least being from Nashville I got to see Lenny play numerous times & even got to hang with him once, at an audition. Roy I never saw even though I had chances when I was living in NYC, when he played at the Lone Star Cafe sometimes. Sigh.

Funny thing for me is, I never put any focus on the fact that Roy played a tele, until recent years.

8. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Some Roy goodness from the documentary he was featured in.

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Reasearching what gear someone uses may be important. But I think the lionshare of Roy's tone and style came from how he approached and attacked the instument.

I saw him not long before he passed on and he was using an old Tele and a Roland Jazz Chorus amp and sounded just how you would expect...great.

10. Telemarkman

OK, so I'll post it again ... Most rock/blues guitarists wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell to improvise over those chord changes, but Roy had taught himself playing jazz scales - he said it made him a better blues player too. But as you can hear he doesn't limit himself to scales - he never wanders far from the melody. This is just magic - and what a band! I could listen to them all night ...

11. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

solder a couple caps _In Series_
    First: take a .005 cap and put it on your bridge pickups hot wire -then solder it back to the switch where it came from , next take a .1 cap and solder it to the output-jacks hot, do this at the volume pot, then solder it back to the volume pot where it came from , next take a Vibrolux 2x10" speaker amp.. and look at the speaker wires closely,
    take the speaker that's last in the chain.. (furthest away) and pull the wires off the speaker and flip them and put them back on so that one speaker is pushing backwards as the other one remains normal-- pushing forward .

And that my friends is how you sound very much like Nancy & Hopefully Roy too.. for about $2.00 in parts!... A fender Twin may work too but they need too break up faster-- maybe pull some tubes out??

next buy a Cab Driver Hat, A vest, some Plaid Slacks and Hush-puppy shoes, and stare at the crowd and don't move your body an inch! .. :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

enjoy
    DM

12. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I saw him live a few times and every time he was using a blackface Vibrolux and Nancy and sounded astounding. I can't remember if the amp was facing forward or backwards but one of the gigs was an outdoor gig so I think it was facing forward. Never heard him live with any other gear so I can't comment.

13. mickmac

mickmac Tele-Holic

That's crazy!

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

You should get it rebroadcast. I'd love to see that show again. I seem to remember Jerry Garcia being among the big Roy fans in the documentary.

15. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

That's great, Don Mare! I guess you could add, have a few beers ready in plastic cups to enjoy during the organ solos or whenever!

I just get giddy whenever I see a good thread re: my personal tele heroes, such as Roy B., Roy Nichols, Jimmy Bryant, Danny Gatton, James Burton, Scotty Anderson, and yes Tommy Emmanuel. As well as many others. So much to learn from all of them.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  16. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

His father was in the Church during the documentary.

17. dylanfan424

dylanfan424 Tele-Meister

If you own the masters of the documentary is there anyway you would be willing to at least upload it somewhere and share it with the TDPRI crowd as I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks, Joe

18. Telemarkman

Hahahah, you're a funny guy, telex76! :D

19. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

He also told Rick Danko and Levon Helm that he was part wolf, when they were all playing for Ronnie Hawkins in The Hawks and they asked him how he learned to play all the things he could play.

Jim Wieder relates the story that when he asked Roy Buchanan if he taught Robbie Robertson how to play harmonics (again, when Roy and Robbie were both Hawks), and Roy winked and told Jim, "I showed him the wrong way."

As far as speakers go, I believe the part about slicing the speakers to get more rasp, but not the soaking in water thing... leave that to the harmonicas.

Every time I saw Roy Buchanan in the '70s (four times) he was playing through a CBS Fender silver-faced Vibrolux Reverb. He turned the Treble, Bass, and Volume all up to 10, and the Reverb on 2 or 3, and then controlled the volume and tone with his fingers and the knobs on his guitar. He put the amp towards the back of the stage and turned it around backwards (miking it the normal way from the front grill) to prevent squeal and take some of the harshness off. Watch the excellent 1976 Austin City Limits show to see this.

20. axeornot

axeornot Tele-Meister

Lucky you...I met Lenny once but never got to hear him play live. I've been a mad fan ever since the first time I heard ''Velvet Touch''

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.