Roy Buchanan/Danny Gatton tones are irritating

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by yojimbo, May 9, 2020.

1. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never noticed it with D.G. With R.B., yes, but that's his thing and he does it well. Very well. I never seem to mind it.

8barlouie likes this.
  2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

When I saw Roy Buchanan, near the end of his life, he was playing a Guild Tele-copy with EMG pickups, through TWO Roland JC-120 amps. It was not only shrill, it was loud and shrill.

And still amazing.

8barlouie likes this.
  3. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

He doesn't sound shrill to me, at all :)

Crobbins, darkwaters, baiff and 2 others like this.
  4. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Boy...

This is awesome!!!

(btw, this was NOT his personal style. It was DG playing jazz. His personal style was a lot more "out there," and on the Tele, with Joe Barden's... bridge PU.)

IMO.

5. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I don't like listening to either of them, and it's not just their tone. It just all seems so over-done. Yes I get it, they had great chops – but with that type of playing, a little goes a long way. Lead guitar playing as the central focus of the music gets irritating quickly to me. I can listen to jazz improvisation all night, but an endless barrage of licks gets old.

I like that clip of him playing jazz though!

Colo Springs E and Grateful Ape like this.
  6. Jim622

I don't think I ever listened to any Roy B. and got the impression he was gone through the motions. What he played always seemed sincere...from the heart. As for tone. It seemed he just turned every knob on the amp and axe all the way up and he played. What ever came out he adapted too.

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

I felt that way about Stevie Ray Vaughan at first...I much preferred The Fabulous Thunderbirds early on...

8. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I don't mind either tone, but I'm drawn to the tele sonically because I'm a big treble-head, so probably not an important voice on that matter. As far as their playing though, I'll take Danny over Roy any day of the week. Honestly, the only times I don't love Danny's playing is when he's beginning to show how much he liked Roy. Roy was certainly good, but when he got after it he always sounded too frantic and messy to me - and I like Jimmy Page, so go figure.

If you want a Roy to listen to, Roy Clark can't be beat.

9. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

I think Roy Buchanan is nothing but treble!:mad:

[​IMG]

10. Jim622

I like the slight sloppiness. Like he's ready to drop the ball, but then pulls it out his back side, same with page.

11. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

I don't know if I am off base here, but both players could have focused some more attention to rhythm and chord phrasing. Seems they were mostly lead players, which tends to get one dimensional...

Not that I have much room to judge them.

I like Hendrix's ability to build songs... Rhythm seems often overlooked by technically advanced players. Nothing beats fingerpicking progressions, with not so standard chords... Trower was good at it. Eric Johnson was another great rhythm builder.

Seems a lot of great bands and music in general had less lead playing and more complex rhythms. Especially during the 90s.

I love how fingerpicking chords and rhythms can make a simple progression sound like 2 people playing at the same time, harp like, almost piano like. Throw some delay and a chorus or a dejavibe on it, and you have something deep and melodic... Narcotic even.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  12. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

To my ears (admittedly damaged, 30 yrs working around jets), it always sounded like Danny was on the bridge pickup. Roy used sparingly the neck pickup, but when he did, to me, it was one of the best tones around. Too bad neither one of them ever found what they were looking for.

Mad Kiwi and 8barlouie like this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Love it! Gator Stratocaster and Bobby's 345, two very complimentary guitars.

Everything gets passed down from one generational influence to the younger- albeit there's always maybe addition/subtraction- some kind of mutation maybe?

Jerry ( here) is playing his pickin' from say listening to Roy Nichols, Jerry Reed, Roy B., bluegrass, etc., and Danny was listening to Les Paul, Joe Pass, Scotty Moore,
    I learned my Country picking (some things, I'm really basic), listening to a lot of Jerry and Danny!

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Note:
    It just hit me, how could you listen to Danny Gatton's ('90's studio albums)
    88 Elmira St., Cruisin' Deuces
    and come out thinking ' wow terrible, horrid tone?'

If you listen to these records it's literally an AD, for all you can do with a Telecaster, an ES-295, and Fender amps.
    Remarkable playing by Danny and his Band- really DC-'area's best!

dougstrum likes this.
  15. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

That's some fine playing. I wouldn't have minded the tone being rolled back a bit more, but that's the jazzer in me. I can hear a lot of Wes and Kenny there.

16. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Afflicted

I saw Roy live and I had no complaints. He opened for B.B. King to my surprise.

17. percy

percy Tele-Meister

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

What makes you think that neither of them found what they were looking for? You don't think that the sound they got was the sound they wanted?

19. John-By-The-Sea

John-By-The-Sea TDPRI Member

I don't think he was talking about sound.

20. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Correct, I was talking about out of life. Sad endings no matter what the truth was.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.