Roy Buchanan/Danny Gatton tones are irritating

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by yojimbo, May 9, 2020.

1. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nailed it, sir ...

And to add, we are not talking rocket science here ...

In the end...

It's really just show business...

Ain't it ???

Be safe and healthy, Y'all !!!

2. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

By 1971 Roy Buchanan had set the guitar world on fire, and was admired by and influenced, Robbie Robertson, Jeff Beck, Nils Lofgren, Merle Haggard, and John Lennon to name but a few.

Now as far as the TDPRI - the TELECASTER Discussion Page, he's unlistenable. Right, got it.

You guys have been cooped up too long.

And ... the reason that Danny Gatton has a similar tone is because he wanted to BE Roy Buchanan. Gatton had the gymnastics, Buchanan had the SOUL.

upload_2020-5-11_9-15-39.png

Telecentric, Jim622, Crobbins and 6 others like this.
  3. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

I can't believe this has gone on for 5 pages...

Chiogtr4x, Crobbins and 8barlouie like this.
  4. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

One informed the other. I don't remember ever hearing Roy and thinking he was too shrill. He'd often turn his amp around and bounce the sound off the wall behind him, which tamed things a bit. Danny, however, "could" be punishing on some nights. Even on his off nights he was still damn amazing.

Crobbins likes this.
  5. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

To OP, no I don’t.

Crobbins, Controller and Jerry J like this.
  6. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

His first recording was done in 61'. But like you said, he was slow to evolve, tone wise, and only started using pedals in the last years of his career. And that was his choice!

Perhaps he felt as if he had been left behind by the big names of Clapton/Hendrix? Yardbirds were early 60s... Seems as if these players ran parallel with eachother, and knew of each other's playing.

Obviously Buchanan covered many Hendrix songs, and admired his talent.

Interesting discussion. Seems that Gatton and Buchanan could chicken pick, whereas Clapton and Hendrix perhaps had a totally different sound altogether.

Guitar playing hasn't changed much since in my opinion... What do we have now but more pedals and tonal variations... The playing hasn't advanced much really... aside from metal and shredding...

7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I think that they both might have had some higher frequency hearing loss. Causing them to beef up the high's and play on the bridge pu. As said, back then it was accepted to play extremely loud (and shrill).

I'm pretty sure that I have some high frequency loss, though I haven't actually been tested in many year's.

So, I adjust my tone a little less bright to compensate for it... so I don't kill other's that hear normally.

And, I remember a show in Minneapolis circa 1991, where Charlie Bingham with Hoopsnakes was playing so loud that I spent a better part of the evening trying to find a safe place to hear him.

BTW, if you want to hear DG with a more subtle tone (less Tele and more Gibson), listen to "New York Stories."

IMO, it's some of his best work.

tamer_of_banthas and superjam144 like this.
  8. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

It could be, he was not even close to the other two giants popularity.
    True
    They were more Blues guys, chicken picking is more a country thing i guess....
    Well we are in the golden age of pedals now, in the 70's they were not even close to what we've got now, even the new chicken pickers guys in country music have huge pedalbords even if they always have one sound more or less. :):):)

superjam144 likes this.
  9. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

My favorite RB tones are from Jerry Garcia ~1972.

Check out Mr. Charlie...pure RB influences! Jerry was a big RB fan. Playing through a Strat took that edge off.

Tennesee Jed too!

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

maybe some context is useful.

Buchanan was born in Ozark, AR in 1939. Grew up around Bakersfield. Died in a jail cell; allegedly a suicide, but jail cell "suicides" seldom have witnesses. He was 47, a month shy of his next birthday. If you look at his playing style, left hand is mostly first three fingers, his right hand developed some unique stuff. Really sort of looks self-taught. Some amazing stuff for sure, and economical in the way that Django was, perhaps. Had his own style, developed on his own, at least that's what it looks like to me. Ear punishing volume and such live, perhaps, but at times, listed as one of best tones ever, according to the guitar media press. whatever that means.

If Roy had soul, it might be because he grew up as the son of a sharecropper.

Gatton was born in 1945. Grew up in around the DC area, but spent time in Nashville. Died in 1994, self-inflicted gunshot, 49 years old. Reports indicate he dealt with depression for a long time. Just looking at his techniques, he was far more broad and sophisticated, let's say, in terms of what and how he played. Played jazz as a youngster. I can't say he didn't appreciate RB, but truly, his guitar hero was Lenny Breau. Thinking that Gatton had a singular tone or style is not seeing the whole picture, IMO. there's plenty of stuff out there where he's playing classic sweet jazz tone.

When you have outstanding players die in their late 40's, you still have to wonder what the rest of their trip might have been. Everyone goes through phases. To tie either one of these players to that small of a sample is kind of a limited perspective, again, IMO.

Lenny Breau died relatively young as well, but holy moley, the things he could do. He was found dead in a swimming pool in LA; 43 years old. I tend to think Danny Gatton was more interested in Lenny Breau's fusion of different techniques approach. As such, maybe it's harder to pick out a singular style that is Danny Gatton's alone versus hearing Roy Buchanan just being Roy Buchanan.

I think Mr. Gatton adopted the telecaster maybe because of Roy but also because it was representative of rockabilly and the association with hot-rods. But that is far from the totality of his capabilities.

Sad that all these players left too soon. I like loud, I like the feel of it, but not when it punishes my ears. The feel of it, though, is pretty compelling.

11. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

i just watched the 4 part Buchanan documentary on YT. it was incredibly well done, and one of the themes discussed, was that Roy never had the sort of band in the studio that he was used to having live, and this caused his studio material to lack some of the spark his live shows had. all in all, i loved it, and it was well worth the time spent to watch it.

Crobbins and percy like this.
  12. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Gatton had a specific style of his own.

If you listen to his various solo's you can tell when he slipped into it.

It really was an amalgam/crossover of blues, country and jazz, done in a very slick and sophisticated manner.

It was his style.

There were bends, slurs and lots of glissando's.

Also, many Les Paul (the man) guitar tricks. (also think Jimmy Bryant)

Sure, he could play guitar country pedal steel bends with the best of them. (think Albert Lee)

He could play bebop and swing like Howard Roberts and Herb Ellis, or the finger style of Joe Pass.

And, he do the Albert King, BB King, Buddy Guy single string blues thingy with the best of them.

But, he did have his own style, too.

It was all of the above, rolled into ONE.

And, yes...

He knew, and loved, Lenny Breau and often said that he was the best, ever.

drlucky, Crobbins and yojimbo like this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

i agree those guys had monster otherworldly chops, but you know how some guys can't dress themselves?
    They shoulda let someone else pick out their tones for them

Mad Kiwi and 8barlouie like this.
  14. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Try listening to this Gatton collaboration with Joey D.....

Rowdyman, rand z and drlucky like this.
  15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I might be in the top ten of RB fanboys here, but I’ll be the first to admit I can’t put on a Roy Buchanan mixtape and walk around the house listening. After about three cuts, I have to give my ears a rest. He’s hard to listen to, but for me it has less to do with his tone and more to do with his complexity. After a while, my ears literally get tired of trying to absorb every nuance.

I always thought his guitars sounded like tortured souls. His sounds haunt me to this day.

yojimbo likes this.
  16. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

in the YT documentary i mentioned earlier, several of his former bandmates and friends describe his sound exactly like this.

8barlouie likes this.
  17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Roy Buchanan was a long, sustained scream.

Danny Gatton was what a Chevelle sounds like when you gun an engine to get airborne over a line of crash cars.

yojimbo and 8barlouie like this.
  18. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

And Danny went from a Black LP Custom to the telecaster around this time.

yojimbo and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  19. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

I grew up in when Danny and Roy were both local legends but didn't see them as often as some of my friends did. Not sure why, because I truly respected both. However, Dave Elliott used to play with Bill Kirchen and Too Much Fun for years and I saw them a lot. I posted this before but here we go again - maybe the best concert I ever saw was their Christmas show at the Sunset Grille, in Annandale, VA. Bill and the band had a regular Thursday evening gig and they were on fire for that X-mas show. Hell, Dave Elliott could use the glass plate window, and he did, and still sound great. Those were the days when DC was Tele-town.

bo, yojimbo, drlucky and 1 other person like this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I played at the Sunset Grille, BEFORE it was the Sunset Grille!

It was McDuffy's Pub in the mid '80's and I played there 1.Summer (only).in an acoustic duo ( I live in Manassas now, but from Falls Church)- pretty much ignored by dart-,throwers in the back room.

Later, in Blues bands ( for me starting in the mid '90's) it seems every blues guitar player in the DC/Baltimore area had either a 3-tone SB Strat w/Rosewood FB, or a blonde '52- style Tele! ( I had both, but neither of those variants now)
    Memories!

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    gwjensen and teletimetx like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.