1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Routing PT secondary wires...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by DrPepper, Apr 8, 2021.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Is it better to keep them near the chassis as much as possible, or in the air, short as possible?

2. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

PT are high voltage, so we have electric fields. Putting the wire in a corner of the chassis, causes the field lines to be drawn towards the chassis. But if you have to have much longer wires, this advantage will become smaller. Every advantage has a disadvantage.

Also keep 'm away from sensitive circuitry. Distance helps.

In the few amps I've build I've put them in the corner opposite to the sensitive circuitry. Works fine.

3. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Which would be better?

This:

210101rectifer tube socket.JPG

or this?

5E3_Chassis.jpg

4. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

In this case I would choose option two. Way shorter wires. Option 1 is also not tucked in the chassis corners. Both are far away from the sensitive input.

Note that rotating the PT 90 degrees in option 1 would have made the short route more obvious. Having said that I have chosen a 220V led iso a 6V lamp to keep the large current heater wires short, which would have required the PT to be rotated 90 degrees in the other direction.

So it is all related and good is quite often good enough. I'm still learning that though ;)

DrPepper likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.