Routing a peghead truss rod channel

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by funkymann1, May 1, 2015.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

hey everyone, any good tuterals on how to route a truss rod that has the adjustment at the peghead?...ive always done mine at the heel..i kinda think i know what to do but just want to see some options...it will be a 2 piece neck with a glue on fretboard..... i plan on using this truss rod here from WD:

http://www.wdmusic.com/18_in_truss_rod_allen_nut.html

Thanks,

-Mark

2. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

Bueller ...............Bueller?????

anyone???

3. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Hey Mark, what style neck are you building? Fenderish? Gibsonesque? All my necks have angled headstocks. I determine where I want the adjustment end block to be (usually under the nut), mark the opposite end then rout from the end till it comes out on the peghead. Some people stop before the nut then bore under from the headstock. That's probably better, but I'm inherently lazy. Hopefully someone with more skill/experience than me will chime in.
    Tim

4. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

I only do Fender necks...my concern is how do you clean up around the hole at the peghead? make it look pro?....I dont want to use a cover....

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

What I've done on heel adjust installs is stop routing the channel short of the adjustment end of the neck. Then I can slip the allen nut end through a hole drilled through to the channel from the end of the neck. The hole is a hair bigger than the nut on the truss rod. It's nice and clean with just the hole for the allen nut. But it can be tricky to install if the allen nut doesn't come off. It's hard to angle the rod in with the nut on and easy if it's off. I've never tried it on headstock adjustments but the theory is the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.