1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Router" speed

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by RollingBender, Jun 29, 2014.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

Do a lot of woodworking on a milling machine (Bridgeport-style) and I run the tool nowhere near as fast as a typical router runs. I can remove wood just as fast as a router generally and get similar finishes except mine lack the black marks on the wood and the burned up bits. Are routers running so fast to make up for a lack of HP or to make them easier to control by hand?

2. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

Probably a few reasons, but my best guess would be to make them more controllable by hand. Not only do you have a certain amount of gyro type action going on, but a higher speed will smooth out the cutting action. Think of it this way, given a fast enough speed, in theory, a square tire could run fairly smooth.

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, I would also think that the router speed smooths out the action and makes it easier to hand hold.

A Bridgeport is a great mill and can do a lot of things, but the 3hp version needs 220v, runs at up to 4200 rpm, and it costs about $15K new.

A Bosch 2 1/4 hp router runs on 110v, at up to 25000 rpm, and it costs $160 new.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.