"Router" speed

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by RollingBender, Jun 29, 2014.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

Do a lot of woodworking on a milling machine (Bridgeport-style) and I run the tool nowhere near as fast as a typical router runs. I can remove wood just as fast as a router generally and get similar finishes except mine lack the black marks on the wood and the burned up bits. Are routers running so fast to make up for a lack of HP or to make them easier to control by hand?

2. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

Probably a few reasons, but my best guess would be to make them more controllable by hand. Not only do you have a certain amount of gyro type action going on, but a higher speed will smooth out the cutting action. Think of it this way, given a fast enough speed, in theory, a square tire could run fairly smooth.

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, I would also think that the router speed smooths out the action and makes it easier to hand hold.

A Bridgeport is a great mill and can do a lot of things, but the 3hp version needs 220v, runs at up to 4200 rpm, and it costs about $15K new.

A Bosch 2 1/4 hp router runs on 110v, at up to 25000 rpm, and it costs $160 new.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.