Router('s) Hump.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
Thanks, Tele_MEL.

A zombie thread is a thread that hasn't been posted in for more than 6 months. Our webmaster wants us to start a new thread instead of resurrecting an old one. And for good reasons: The problem may have been solved, the question answered, some of the posters may no longer be with us etc.

Oops. I'm guilty of launching a few zombie threads then. I seen enough "Google is your friend" replies to posts that I try avoid drawing such a response. In those endeavors, I've resuscitated a bygone thread or thirteen. if I've offended anyone somehow, I plead ignorance (the proof is obvious) and beg forgiveness.

perttime

Friend of Leo's
A zombie thread is a thread that hasn't been posted in for more than 6 months. Our webmaster wants us to start a new thread instead of resurrecting an old one. And for good reasons: The problem may have been solved, the question answered, some of the posters may no longer be with us etc.
Which are excellent reasons to hide all the answers that have already been posted, from new members.... Why keep information accessible in one thread when you could splinter it into umpteen different places :rolleyes:

Telemarkman

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Which are excellent reasons to hide all the answers that have already been posted, from new members.... Why keep information accessible in one thread when you could splinter it into umpteen different places :rolleyes:

New members may read old threads as much as they like, they're just not allowed to make new posts in them.

Paul's forum, Paul's rules. Respect them.

Major Gruber

Tele-Afflicted
I don't know if the rules changed, but I think a thread can be forever alive as long as the O.P still answers to the new posts. I had a very funny experience 2 years ago. A friend of mine had bought a Telecaster crafted by an american Luthier Rich Rice. A very special one that he had been told had been made out of a pine table. I checked on internet with the serial number and realized Rich Rice had done a whole thread showing how he made this precise guitar out of a very old pine table (amazing thread by the way). It was the guitar my friend had in hand here in Paris! The thread was from 2007 and we were in 2013 (or 12). I sent a post on the thread and Rich Rice answered me and was very happy to have news of this guitar (great moment!).

perttime

Friend of Leo's
I can live with the rules. That doesn't have to mean I agree with them. It is like...

... you are looking for information. Which do you prefer:
1) a bookshelf with books on related subjects
2) a bookshelf with loose pages from those books, in random order

BritTwang

Tele-Holic
I started looking for humps on my collection. Turned out to be a bigger task that I thought. So far I just looked throught the 50's (and didn't check Nacho's book). First comments I can make is that there's many variations. I see no big hump in the first years. The biggest I found was in 56 (picture below). Very often, there's no hump, just a flat part at the junction of the curve, and usually more on the back (see blue refin 59). So here's the big question : starting from what a hump is a hump? :eek: Actually all this is just about the perfection of a curve. It seems to me that there's no perfect curve before the firsts Custom in 1959. Custom has no hump, pretty little sophisticated thing. But I have to double check this (collecting humps I neglected to collect its absence to check curve's perfection… Arrrrgh). :lol::lol::lol:Anyway, it's just a detail but it's there. I wish I knew how looks the machine that used to shape those bodies.

Woah, look at the hump on that!

Bernie

Tele-Afflicted
Minutiae like this was commonplace in the 0le Fuzzy era of the TDPRI. Interesting to see the rediscovery process.

Telemarkman

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Minutiae like this was commonplace in the 0le Fuzzy era of the TDPRI. Interesting to see the rediscovery process.

I really miss that era and hope to contribute to the process you mention.;)
Problem is that I'm not the "axespert" that 0F was. Very few of us - if any - are, actually. I'm real glad that someone like slack is back though. Hope he stays.

But there still are a few other guys here that I learn something new from (almost) every day.

Thanks to all who's contributing to this thread.:cool:

Tele_MEL

Tele-Meister
Dagnabit Telemarkman and Ron .. you cost me a bunch of money today

but I suppose I should thank you in advance at the same time.

I don't know how scarce the supply is.. but The BlackBook certainly isn't readily available at JK Lutherie ( one on Elderly )

so I ordered one from Nacho .. cool thing will be it'll be signed.. and as others have said. . it'll go no place once I have it in my hands. It'll be a keeper for me.

it does set me back saving to get a PV52 Tele. but I figure those will be available down the road.. and ? maybe ? this book won't be ..

vanguard

Friend of Leo's
I believe the hump disappeared some time in '68, as that was when CBS really started making changes to the tele. I know my mid '67 had one.

I've read here and there the hump was the result of a crude router that couldn't quite make that steep turn. CBS, in an effort to eliminate all "errors," fixed the problem.

ArGoNiQ

TDPRI Member
I have 3 american vintage telecasters:

1 av52 2015
1 av52 2014
1 av hot rod 50s

The last two dont have a router hump.

The first of them have a pronunced router hump. At first I tough it was a defective, at point I was about to return it to the store.

Now I read it is a "vintage accurate".

Sneddo

Tele-Meister
I have a CS Nocaster with a solid hump. In addition, it's also got a massive Lip, which I initally thought was a defect and wasn't happy until I researched and found out its period correct

10thoufirst

Tele-Holic
Well I'm glad to have this explained to me as I've never been quite sure what it meant. But I notice that the guitar at the beginning of this thread not only has the hump but a chip on it's shoulder which must make it a guitar with real attitude.
With regard to the Nacho book. I've been looking for a copy for the last six months with no luck. They're all sold and no second hand ones seem to come up on the market. Not this side of the Atlantic anyway.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
One of our members posted a question about the Router('s) Hump in a zombie thread that was pulled. I'm sure he's not alone in his ignorance about this rather modest hump.

This is a Router('s) Hump:

2403d1173990784-router-hump-router-hump-jpg

Well I appreciate the info, and now need to go check my Tele to see if it has one. I've never given it any thought or noticed this . Do Strats have a similar 'hump" ? I have two and never noticed.

Oh well, another thing to be anal about.

ArGoNiQ

TDPRI Member
I have 3 american vintage telecasters:

1 av52 2015

1 av52 2014

1 av hot rod 50s

The last two dont have a router hump.

The first of them have a pronunced router hump. At first I tough it was a defective, at point I was about to return it to the store.

Now I read it is a "vintage accurate".

This is the hump In my AV52 I was talking about.

It was difficult take the correct angle in the picture. In the real guitar, the hump is more noticeable and looks weird lol...

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1454179164.585160.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1454179181.458671.jpg

red57strat

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
When I ordered my USACG T-Style body Tommy asked if I wanted a period correct router hump and neck pocket lip. I said no and am glad I did- the neck joint is pretty slick.

Jupiter

Telefied
Ad Free Member
When I made my first partscaster, I ordered a pine body from Marc Rutters. It had the router hump, and I didn't know it was on purpose, so I sanded it out. I made some mention of it in my build thread at the time, but folks were too kind to say anything about it...