Router bits question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by highwaycat, Oct 16, 2021.

1. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

Before I get a router I’m thinking about using my dremel for making pickguards and doing light routing on neck pockets.

For pickguards I’m thinking about using a 1/4” shank adapter.
    I have a 1/2” template and a 1/4” template.
    I have one 1/2” pattern overhang bit with 1/4” shank.
    I’ll make an acrylic router base.

I need the bit that does the bevel and also wondering if this sounds like it would work?

What bit for the neck pocket?
    Thanks

drewg likes this.
  2. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Not enough torque. Get the little Makita router. $99.
    You’ll wonder why you waited.

Laren, Peegoo, Frodebro and 1 other person like this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

The little Makita or the Bosch Colt, or any name-brand "laminate trimmer" router. These are small routers designed for light work, and can also be used to do heavier stuff like routing out pickup recesses and even making complete guitar bodies.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

5. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I ran the Harbor Freight on my CNC cutting bodies and necks for quite a while before the bearings gave out or maybe it ingested too many chips. It was well abused by that time. I used that at the start because I expected and did frequently crash whatever router I used and it's easier to replace a $20-$30 router than a $120-$150 router. I have the Makita 1/4in router on it now but the HF did what I needed it to, and what it should not have done like plowing a half inch cutter from one corner to another as it re-homed unexpectedly at travel speed not cutting speed -- thinking "I guess I can push that machine a lot faster than I thought".

6. pypa

pypa Tele-Holic

Get the dewalt 611. Best router I own. I use it for all the things you mention.

A trim router like this is really what you need. You will probably burn your dremel motor out trying to route a neck pocket. You’d also need to buy a bigger base for it.

7. Billycaster21

Billycaster21 Tele-Meister

I recently purchased the 1 hp Bosch router. Also got the plunger base which I highly recommend. Not cheap but works great!

8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Dremel or similar is a fine tool for inlay work and other fine details, but it's not appropriate for heavier work like neck pockets. If you want small, a trim router like the Bosch Colt or similar will work fine. The next step up to a regular router will provide you more versatility and power. Variable speed is highly recommended...

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

When you are making your neck pocket, you can drill out excess bulk wood and leave just enough to clean up with your router bit. This will save wear and tear on the bit. For a neck pocket, you'll want a half inch long template bit with a shorter template or with a really thick template, you may want a 1" long template bit. The stewmac bits are nice for either application and allow you to run extra bearings for insurance.

Whiteside makes a similar bit but may be a bit shorter than the stewmac one.

Ball Bearing Router Bits - StewMac

Whiteside Router Bits 3001 Template Bit with Ball Bearing - Top Bearing Flush Trim Router Bits - Amazon.com

Archtops likes this.
  10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

here's the deal with the Demel.. it is NOT intended for "Heavy Lifting".... while it works wonderfully for routing for inlays in the fingerboard.. it's only removing about 1 - 2 mm of wood.... a neck pocket is 14 - 15 mm deep... so the stress put on the Dremel can cause an early demise of the tool...

as a Graduate of the Lake Shore Jr High Wood Shop... I can share Mr. Lawrence's edict, repeated often.. whgen he caught us using a chisel as a screwdriver... "Use the right tool for the job"... Dremel and real routing do not equate...

If you're only gonna do limited "home duty" routing you can get one of those inexpensive routers Harbor Freight sell.. the Chinese MSS will appreciate it... but if you're diving into this hobby seriously... get the real deal. a PorterCable 690 or 890, is pretty much the standard, with other great tools available... but get a pro grade if you plan on making more than l little teensy weensy pile of sawdust..

If you plan on making much more than a few bodies... and are using the cheep Chinese tools.. it won't be long before you'll be looking for a second tool just like it, because that way you can screw 'em to a couple of boards and make matching book ends with 'em, becasue that will be all the burnt out boogers are good for.. get a good tool...
    r

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Archtops and RogerC like this.
  11. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

As said, dremels a no go.

When it comes to trim routers, of all those I have owned I am down to two dewalt 611s & 1 Bosch colt. The only reason I have the colt is because I haven't gotten around to replacing it with another dewalt. The 611 has enough power to do neck pockets without hesitation with the micro adjust precision of a full size router. Add a plunge base & they do pickup routes without hesitation.

Eric

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just get a "trim router" or "laminate trimmer". I dont even use a big router for larger things now. You can one at a pawn shop for probably $25-35. Mine old one was stolen and I got a Porter Cable for that about 2 years ago.
    Here's a cheap one just to show size:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V4XB5NW/?tag=tdpri-20

dougstrum likes this.
  13. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

I prefer the Makita trimmer router over the Colt

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't even remember the brand name on my cheap ass trimmer...:rolleyes:. or if it even has one..:lol:

it's built about 20 guitars though and still going strong... they need a bigger base plate.

clear PG cutting trimmer sm.jpg

router base sanded.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.