1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Routed in pick holder

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bush Wiebe, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

I have a pick holder on the front of my pinecaster that is very convenient but pretty ugly. I really like it there because I go back and forth between picking and fingerstyle quite a bit.

I was wondering, would it be possible to router in a hole in that same spot where you could build in a pick holder? Perhaps cover up the hole with a chrome or even wood cover plate and spring load it with just a small sliver showing where you could access the pick. What do you think? Could that work???

Attached Files:

2. simplemarc

simplemarc TDPRI Member

I think it would be awesome !! But once you route out a hole you are deadicated. It's very original it that the location where you'd like it.

3. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

I worked on a guys guitar that had a slot carved in the upper bout (side) for a pick. He said he did it with a pocket knife. It worked pretty well.

4. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

I think that would look even uglier. Why not fix the holder to a mic stand or your amp or just learn to palm your pick when not using it or put it in your mouth when picking.

If you're dead set on having something on the guitar, what about just a narrow slot so you can put the pick in tip first so all you'd see is a bit of the pick sticking out.

5. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

I know it's not the best practice in the world and doesn't even apply to you but I always stick my pick between the pickguard and body on the cut away part. I think you can see what I mean in my avatar if you look closely.

6. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

On my guitars with pickguards I slide picks in there as well. But I do not want one on this particular guitar! I'm also not a big fan of putting picks on mic stands. Sometimes I'm near one and sometimes not so I'd prefer to have it on the guitar itself so no matter where I am onstage I have instant access.

I like the idea of just having a small almost invisible slot for them to go into. I'll have to give it some thought. Any ideas on how that would work? The spring loaded holder works so nice for instant switching back and forth. I wonder how just a carved slot would work for ease of use. I like that idea because it's not so intrusive into the body of the guitar but I am not sure how I would about it.

7. csadams5

csadams5 Tele-Holic

If it is what works best for you, give it a go.

8. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Just lick the pick and stick it to your forehead.

9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That is ugly, learn to palm the pic or just hybrid.

10. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

You could take that same pick holder and put it on the edge of the upper bout under the strap button, with the open end toward the face of the guitar. Should you drop a pick, you could very quickly get another one from that location, hardly breaking playing stride. It wouldn't be real noticeable, either.

11. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I Know, I Know....

What about a pick holder mounted to the back side of the strap. Or is that too easy? Or just cut slits through the back of the strap to store picks.

Lost_N_Austin

12. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.