1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rounding bindings

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mialsa, Apr 21, 2021.

1. mialsa

mialsa NEW MEMBER!

Hello,

Have you done any rounding for the bindings and how? I mean I have how a body with bubinga top, then 1 mm white and 1.5 mm black binding. It has now sharp edges. The back has around 4 mm rounding and for the top I would like to have a bit matching smoothing. 1 mm and 2 mm router bits are quite rare, but have you done something for the bindings and how?

What for instance 2-3 mm rounding would look like? Have you any examples?

br.
    Mika

2. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

It doesn't take much, it's only plastic. A notched binding scrapper or maybe a concave exacto blade or round it off with sandpaper. You can do three bevels then round it.

This would have to be done before finishing.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I bind guitars with both wood and plastic - most of the time the wood is 0.080 thick and the plastic usually around 0..060. I often have purfling lines inside the binding. I simply run around the binding using a box cutter blade as a scraper to round off the edge. I prefer a scraper to sanding because sand frequently carries dark or light dust into contrasting colors - scraping keeps the binding and purfling cleaner

IMG_5358.JPG

IMG_5359.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.