Round Up

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 21, 2019.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can remember my grandfather spraying weeds around the buildings with 2-4-D back on the farm. He used one of those upright, hand-pump sprayers. He'd mix up a batch of the stuff by putting water in the sprayer tank and mixing in some proportion of the herbicide....then stir it with his hand.

aerhed likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Again with the roundabouts! :rolleyes:

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I reckon the key word is "yet".

Obsessed likes this.
  4. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

A few comments here are all about protecting the user. That's nice. How about a thought for what you're spraying it on?

Obsessed and telemnemonics like this.
  5. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I was riding my bike this week when I passed a farmer spraying his field. :eek:

Gotta steer clear next time I see that.

6. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

My neighbor has been telling me to spray Roundup on the "broadleafs" in my yard since I moved here.

His dog got a big lesion on it's hind leg last fall and soon died...

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm a pretty slow learner but I've been paying attention to monsanto for decades.
    They just keep causing harm, covering it up, bribing and lobbying to stop laws from protecting consumers from their criminal activity, faking studies to prove their products are not harmful, and now running this hilarious ad telling us that we've trusted them for so long...

Really, the campaign against scientists that speak out rather than being mouthpiece for environmental criminals is very effective.

Why would scientists who test these products in the lab, come out with false info saying it's dangerous, and that monsanto is covering it up?

OTOH, why would monsanto cover up studies, and lobby (or bribe) to prevent the release of information to the public on the safety of their products?

In a world where misinformation rules, I look at the long term record (monsanto products are constantly found to be hazards over decades), and look at the profit for those who warn us but get marginalized and ridiculed as tree huggers etc.

Their record screams for itself, but their lawyers and lobbyists attenuate and spin facts so effectively, that many would spray poison on their kids because they are not going to believe the snowflake fairies crying wolf.

Seriously though, spray poison in the grass and send the kids out to play?
    Grab the lysol and spray the kids down when they come in "dirty"?
    Chemicals are your friend!
    Dirt is dirty!
    Environmentalists are commies!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I was a kid I'd regularly see a biplane spraying something over my neighborhood.
    The spray trail wasn't always on though.
    Around the time all those bird species disappeared from DDT.
    No clue what was sprayed or why.
    Mosquito control or nearby small farms?
    (Monsanto AFAIK manufactured DDT.)

Around 1964, many bird species disappeared here, and in around 1984 the first nesting pair of peregrine falcons was seen in Acadia National Park since the '60s.
    Climbing trails were closed for the season to allow the birds to reestablish.

9. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

I have been following the glyphosate story for years. It is the chemical used in Roundup, and is sold around the world. Glyphosate underwent testing before being approved, and the FDA deemed it safe, as did agencies in other countries.

When cancer lawsuits began popping up, more studies were conducted in America, Europe, and here in Japan. These studies found no link between glyphosate and cancer.America, Japan and the EU still deem it to be safe.

You might ask why people are suing, and why Bayer is losing Roundup lawsuits. It's quite simple. In America it is quite easy to win a lawsuit, you don't need to prove your cause beyond reasonable doubt, and you don't need the jury to vote unanimously, you just need a simple majority. Many lawsuits are stickups, where it is cheaper to pay the stickup man than it is to fight against him.

In Europe people can sue for cancer just as easily as in America, but there are a few differences. If you sue, and you don't win, you must pay the costs of both sides. This being the case, there are no stickup lawsuits. In addition, if you win, but your victory is overturned on appeal, you must return your award, and pay all legal costs. Such a system allows you to sue if you are genuinely harmed, but prevents frivolous lawsuits.

Roundup does not cause cancer any more than immunizations cause autism, or high tension power lines cause cancer. In the case of immunizations and power lines, billions were spent in defense and awards from lawsuits. John Edwards, the man who ran as Kerry's running mate against Bush, made his fortune suing pharmaceutical companies for causing autism. The science used was debunked later on, but neither he nor his clients were required to return the money they had won.

In the late 80's you might remember the movie in which Eddie Murphy ran for senate, and won because he had the same name as the incumbent senator who had died, and people voted for him simply because of his name. The plot of the movie was how he became a champion of people who had gotten cancer from living near power lines.

After $25 billion in costs, it was finally determined that power lines do not cause cancer, but of course the lawyers and their clients were able to keep their money, and the rest of us paid that $25 billion in the form higher electric bills and higher insurance premiums.

Stubee likes this.
  10. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

The only birds said to be affected by DDT were brown pelicans, and some species of raptors. Subsequent studies have shown no link to DDT and egg shell thinning except at levels far higher than those found in nature. The decline in raptors began decades before DDT was invented, as they were considered pests. My grandfather's family owned a farm, his family and others killed any hawks the could find. Silly indeed, but it was common practice for more than a century in North America. .

To protect these birds, DDT was banned, which may or may not saved tens of thousands of birds, but the ban certainly resulted in the deaths of many millions of human beings from malaria and other insect-born illnesses. Raptor populations began increasing when laws were passed to protect them, and these increases occurred long before DDT was banned.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I had to remove my ant killer and weed killer in the last few years..oh Ya and Preen .

I did however, see the other day on the internets a method of using (dawn,vinegar) that is better at
    weed killing than the rough stuff.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Monsanto also holds patents for genetically engineered Round-Up resistant seeds. If a farm buys them, then Monsanto will sue all the farms surrounding because, as they say, their seeds and intellectual property will blow onto surrounding farms, so all surrounding farms needs to pay the seed license. Some farmers have tried to fight this, but Monsanto will just keep paying lawyers to drag things out until the farmer fighting either pays the license or goes bankrupt.

This is an evil, evil, evil company who is playing dirty pool and goes unchecked. We need to be rid of them and their products.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  13. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

We use a glyphosate product under the fence around the cemetery next to the church. Everyone in the cemetery is dead, but I’ve noticed those buried closer to the fence may be a little deader.

14. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I'll be honest I prefer a Strat over a Tele, but somtiomes the PRS rules

15. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

The GF has been using that concoction for a couple years and the weeds do actually curl up and die, next day or two. I have Roundup in the garage, but have been pulling weeds the last couple years. Vinegar/Dawn this year.

I've also been watching this glyphosate debate for years and the misinformation machinery is every bit as evil on the anti-side as it is on the ag industry side, including the World Health Organization intentionally leaving out key studies where no carcinogenicity was found. That decision became the basis for the flood gates opening.

Corporate greed is sickening, but let's not pretend some of these chemicals have no benefit to the food supply. In a perfect world, we'd have no Roundup and probably 2 or 3 billion less people alive. I'm playing it safe because I really don't know if it causes cancer or not. And you don't either.

d barham, william tele and uriah1 like this.
  16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Biological management is finally getting a look in now. I have my own ladybird army that battles greenfly on my chillis. Will never see a chemical.

Plenty of healthy looking organic products are available here for not much of a premium and there are emerging plans for supermarkets to have vast, sterile hydroponic systems on their roofs and farms down old mine shafts for fast growing stuff which will be completely pest and weed free. Light and Water and a few nutrients.

Get that right and you are also into biocoil power and useful low cost carbon sink stuff.

Chemical treatment was always going to ultimately lead nowhere except to chemical resistant weeds. Just like overdosing everyone with antibiotics.

We need to move to the next thing.

telemnemonics and william tele like this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

F404F394-08CD-497A-983D-D9E92B17DF76.jpeg

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

Another person who is not deceived. Congrats!

20. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

I guess you haven't seen the latest reports where Bayer has admitted to uncovering documentation of a secret monsanto hit squad that does nothing but smear campaigns and attempt to discredit unfavorable science.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.