Round-a-bouts

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, May 21, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Folks should travel more. Don't let the presence of roundabouts deter you!

Skamania likes this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

we've adopted roundabouts widely, down under.. they're everywhere... have been since I started driving..

piece of cake...:p:D

uriah1 and Danjabellza like this.
  3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The trick is you just yield to whoever is already in the circle. On the larger ones the hard part is figuring out which lane you want to enter in to exit where you want. But I personally like them. They just put two in, in my town at particularly troublesome intersections on the highway, accidents are way down, and travel times for people on the highway aren’t really impacted, while travel times for those on the cross streets are definitely improved. At the one intersection it would sometimes take 8-10 min to get from the back of the line to where you could turn or cross the highway. Now it’s not even an issue. Both of these intersections would have serious sometimes fatal accidents frequently, now pretty much zero.

4. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Nah... a traffic light is MUCH safer.

And, we all desparately need cell phones; computers in cars; cable TV; television; the Voice, and other GREAT "improvements" in our lives.

(BTW, i've seen the evidence of nasty accidents from roundabouts in unsuspected places. If you're young it's innovative... if you've been around for a good while... it's simply crazy.)

What is new...

...does not always connotate GOOD.

5. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

agreed mate.... it s not rocket surgery...

trev333 likes this.
  6. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

All the evidence says that they're far safer. Vastly less likely to have a head on or t-bone crash which are the most dangerous, and people tend to slow down rather than speed up.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.3141/1847-01
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001457599000445
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.3141/1751-01
    https://www.safetylit.org/citations...ails&citationIds[]=citjournalarticle_63371_19
    https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/roundabouts/benefits.htm

These are empirical measures.
    You might as well be saying that a 10' 2x4 is shorter than an 8' 2x4.

7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Another circular discussion

alathIN and BigDaddyLH like this.
  9. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

In Arizona the pickup with the biggest tires has the right of way

uriah1 and telestratosonic like this.
  10. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have no problem with roundabouts. I'm always worried about the other person(s) so I avoid them where possible.

uriah1 and Boubou like this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Roundabouts are inert and harmless. It's the idiots that don't know how to use them, or are just should never have been allowed to get behind the wheel, that are dangerous.

12. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

After living in the UK for 6 years my observation is that roundabouts are great for intersections/junctions that get an even amount of directional traffic. Gently in, gently out, and there's no real need to stop.

I lived near the A10 north of Cambridge and I can tell you that the A10 roundabouts cause backups during commute hours. This is because drivers on the A10 have to stop for cross traffic whenever it occurs. A series of well timed traffic lights that favour traffic on the A10 during commute hours,would serve that road better because it would allow better flow.

I imagine this is the case in a lot of the UK which has a lot of traffic issues.

Daniel

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Piggy Stu likes this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Most really busy junctions have light controlled roundabouts. The backups are caused by the sheer amount of traffic, not the roundabout.

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I really want a roundabout at the end of our lane where it meets the main road...

Absolute accident black spot.. barely a few weeks go by without the air ambulance coming to pick up the pieces.

Simple way to save lives.

beagle likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

One observation I've had is that roundabouts can help at a particular intersection, they can have ripple effects down the road.

About a year ago the highway department finished one at an intersection of two rural-ish state highways near me. That prevented huge backups that happened at peak hours at the original 4 way stop.It wasn't unusual to have 20 to 30 cars backed up in at least 2 directions. The new roundabout made it a lot smoother to get through that intersection.

But, there are many side roads and subdivisions along the highways. The roundabout has meant that traffic flow is steady with fewer and narrower gaps. This has increased collisions at these intersections considerably.

16. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Our traffic planners are experts. They can create congestion chaos in the middle of nowhere and seem to delight in doing so. Towns and cities are brought to a standstill by a single broken down vehicle, emergency services can't get through the "traffic calming" systems. Buses...

I'll stop there.

uriah1 likes this.
  17. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

See those lines of text in my original post that begin with https, underlined in bold?
    They're hyperlinks. That means if you point your cursor at them, using your mouse or track pad, and click, you will be taken to another web site.
    Each one of those is a report of a study, based on empirical evidence, demonstrating that roundabouts are safer than stop sign or light controlled intersections. These are just a few. There are vastly more studies of the same topic with similar results. They're all conducted in different places, they all collect their data in different ways over different periods of time and look at different safety-related outcomes, and they all come to the same conclusion: roundabouts are safer.

I realize that it's unfashionable these days to form opinions based on systematically collected and rigorously analyzed objective information from multiple sources.
    It's far more trendy to hold opinions that make you feel good, or align with your other unfounded opinions - and far preferable to be wrong than go to the trouble of modifying opinions by comparing them against reality. So in that sense you are a man of our times. Personally, I'm a little old-fashioned and prefer to form opinions based on realities rather than ignore realities in favor of opinions. It's terribly outdated. Don't worry, in just a couple of decades all the oldsters like me will die out and nobody will go around bothering people with "facts" and "evidence" and "reality" anymore.

beagle likes this.
  18. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

I wanted to join in this discussion but it's just going round in circles. :D

uriah1 likes this.
  19. Guitarteach

beagle likes this.
  20. Guitarteach

That joke has already done the rounds

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.