1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rotovibe owners?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Huey666, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Huey666

Huey666 Tele-Meister

I’m thinking of getting one of these to use as my main modulation effect (currently using a mooer phase 90 clone) - would anyone recommend them?

In particular, I know they’re not true bypass so do they have much effect on your basic overall tone? Have heard some reports that tone loss can be a problem with them, and I’ll be using a germanium fuzz before it in the chain which can be temperamental when paired with certain pedals.
    Any tips/comments welcome!

2. highwayjones

highwayjones TDPRI Member

I'm fairly particular about the loss of high end from any pedal that is not true bypass and has a poor buffer circuit. However, I have a Rotovibe that I throw in the mix on occasion and I think that because of the nature of the effect (thick and syrupy), if there is any loss in signal it's not apparent to me. If I think to try a fuzz before/after it I'll reply back.

Huey666 likes this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I have one; it's fun being able to control the speed of the effect with the wah-like treadle. I haven't used it in a while (waiting on a true-bypass looper to use with all my pedals, to "cure" some pedals' tone-suck as well as to bring all on-off switching to the front of my board), but I seem to remember it having a degree of tone suck when turned OFF (as @highwayjones said, kinda hard to tell when it's ON). Nothing terrible, especially if it's your only pedal that does it, but it's there.

RE. your fuzz, I don't think fuzzes really care what comes after them in the chain? Putting something that's not true-bypass before my Fuzz Factory tends to change things, but hwen it comes to pedals further down the chain I think you're good.

Huey666 likes this.
  4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I had a Rotovibe and did not like it at all. they are very sterile.

I recommend the Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe for much groovier Univibe experience.

The-Kid, Fiesta Red and Huey666 like this.
  5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Did your microvibe drop volume when engaged?
    it needs a vol dial imo.
    I sold mine cos the ass would fall out of my signal whenever I engaged it.
    Maybe I should have tried it in the FX loop.

6. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I've never noticed that, but I always have a bit of dirt dialed in the amp so a bit of a volume drop would not be as noticeable.

Shango66 and SparkleFart like this.
  7. Huey666

Huey666 Tele-Meister

That’s helpful, thank you!

8. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I recommend the Keeley Dyno My Roto. Rotary speaker plus tri-chorus and flanger

Huey666 likes this.
  9. SixStringSlinger

I don't know about sterile, but I should note that my Rotovibe is not my only vibe-type pedal. I only use it when I specifically want/need the real-time speed-changing the wah format gives you. Otherwise I use my "normal" vibe pedal.

SparkleFart and drmordo like this.
  10. SparkleFart

SparkleFart Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I 'd second this comment--great observations. While I don't think it sounds "sterile," it is large and heavy. It seems like a tradeoff to me where its most redeeming quality may be treadle control of speed. Just for perspective, in the photo below I plopped my Rotovibe down on a small board I'm about to re-build. As you can see--it is a commitment! (Incidentally, the orange Guyatone tremolo next to it is for me a different but preferred animal.) Old stuff for an old guy I suppose. Anyhow, if you're ok with the footprint, I do think the Rotovibe has some good sounds. You might too.

vibe.jpg

11. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

It's a good point that the rocker pedal on the Rotovibe is nice to have. I've toyed with the idea of rehousing the Micro Vibe and adding an expression pedal jack. If I ever start gigging with it, I might follow thru.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  12. SixStringSlinger

Would it be easier to just put the Micro Vibe's guts into the Rotovibe housing? I guess you might have to finesse where the speed control meets the treadle.

You'd also lose the Rotovibe's mode switching, but I'm not familiar with the Micro Vibe. For all I know that has a similar feature.

13. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

I've had a Rotovibe for many years. The expression pedal aspect is its killer feature, imo. I've found the pedal changes the tone of the instrument even while in bypass. The particular unit I have also inverts the polarity of the signal running through it but I don't know if they're all like that.

14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Rotovibe. They are great. Sterile? Nah.

15. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I just tested mine out, and I couldn't hear any volume drop. It does get a bit less bright because of the circuit, so there is a loss of presence, but not a loss in actual volume.

That's not a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure the MV wouldn't fit in a crybaby housing. It might fit in a old Colorsound wah housing if I could scrounge one up...

It was around 2008 when I had my Univibe odyssey and I tried out everything I could get my hands on, so maybe I need to check out the Rotovibe again. I remember it just not having as much funky swoosh as the Micro Vibe. It sounded more like a chorus than a Univibe to me. I liked it, but I wanted more.

artdecade likes this.
  16. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Paul Gilbert uses one of these fine. Sounds pretty amazing. Do feel they should have one too....I mean what gives....why not.....and its 2020.....why not chorus option.....in one.....

Like a Univibe you know. Ive been kind of not wanting one but they really sound dope. Heard Paul play one on a recent break down of his board. Hendrix in a box.

No Mix knob....but damn it sounds like heave.

17. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Also regarding the Roto Vibe comments I mean I wouldnt say seterile or stale or whatever but I have tried as well and yeah....the latest MXR Univibes sound better.....and those are decent at best.

Need to try a Micro Vibe first hand.

18. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

For what its worth did try a Ventura and Good Vibes as well allong with tue MXR stuff

Ventura for sure was the best hands down IMO out of first hand experience.....digital.....but Lexicon algos will fool you into thinking otherwise.

Really impressed.

One of those pedals that sounds as is in the video....like when you read an advertising on a package.....this is it. The other ones I feel IMO get allot of post work or something in the edit to sound good.....these sound like this right out of the box in the room as you hear in this vid.....

No joke

19. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

Not sure whether this is OT but I love my Fulltone Deja Vibe Mk II. It has an expression pedal jack to control speed, and sounds like a real Uni Vibe to me, thanks to the CCDs. It is my only mod pedal now. I tried the MXR and didn’t like it at all.

drmordo likes this.
  20. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

You might also consider the Way Huge Blue Hippo. On faster speeds, it sounds like a Leslie. But don't get the smalls version; they are noisy! I bought one based on this rig rundown of Joe Bonamassa (please, no JB hate) with his minimalist pedalboard.

radiocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.