Rotary switch wiring

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Axe34, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Axe34

Axe34 TDPRI Member

I'm currently building a Weber Orange 120 clone and I'm stumped about wiring the drive pot and the speaker impedance switch.

First, the drive switch is basically a 6-way tone control switching different cap values. On the layout diagram it looks like this...

[​IMG]

However, the 6-way switch I have looks like this (12 tabs on the outside ring, 2 on the inside):

[​IMG]

Second, the 3-way speaker impedance layout looks like this:

[​IMG]

However, the 3-way switch I have looks like this (9 tabs on the outside ring, 3 on the inside):

[​IMG]

As you can see, both rotary switches have many more tabs than the layout diagram shows.

Here's a link to the overall layout: https://www.tedweber.com/media/kits/6o100_layout.jpg

Here's a link to the schematic: https://www.tedweber.com/media/kits/6o100_schem.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

A) Consider the inside tabs as "Input" and the outside as "Output".

So the 2 IN/12 OUT is in fact 2 times a 6 way selector and you will use only half of it. You will have to determine with a continuity tester which 6 OUTs connects to one IN and at which position.

Same principle with the other one. This one is 3 times a 3 way selector and you will use only one third of it. In this case it is visually easier to understand which 3 OUTs connect to a IN because each group of 4 tabs (1 IN + 3 OUTs ) is clearly separated.

B) "First, the drive switch is basically a 6-way tone control switching different cap values. On the layout diagram it looks like this..."

I do not think that it is really the case since each cap is the same value. It is more like adding in ( or taking out ) caps.

Consider the IN tab being where the 100K resistor is. The 6 others tabs are OUTPUT. Then the final OUPUT is the tab "J".

Let assume that the first position is the one connecting the IN tab to the first tab on the right. The signal is going through the first cap that leads to the next, then to the next and so on... until it gets to the "J" tab. This way you have all 5 caps are involved in the path.

When the switch is on the second position the IN tab will connect to the next tab on the right. That will remove the first cap from the path. The third position will remove the second cap and so on....

Finally at position 6 the IN tab will be connected to to the "J" tab removing all 5 caps from the path letting only the unaltered signal going out.

Now I am not a certified tech. Just consider B) as a possible explanation and wait for a more qualified member's answers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Somewhere between the OP and that reply on the drive control is a great description. It stacks more or less caps in series, which alters the total value. So, it can be said to switch cap values in a sense.

4. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just looked at 8 different Orange an Matamp schematics, because I thought your drawing odd, and it is, not one of them had a row of same value .0047's, all of them have progressivly smaller caps towards one end. I wondeer why weber saw fit to change the original values. My 1972 GRO80 uses the caps individaully, and not in series, meaning there is never more than one in the circuit at a tiime.

5. Axe34

Axe34 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. Greatly appreciate the help!

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen this style switch wired as a Varitone.
    But it has different cap value on each position, never have seen 6 of the same value caps used like this.
    StewMac has a how to video of wiring that switch under
    How to wire a Varitone switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.