1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rosser Guitar Build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by CJT1775, Sep 7, 2020.

1. CJT1775

CJT1775 TDPRI Member

Final coats (I think?) of Tung Oil.

So far, pre-assembly, the only issue I’ve run into is the pickguard does not line up. It was an Amazon buy, coming from China. The neck pocket, pickup and bridge cut all line up fine, however the little notch cut out for the control plate is 1/2” or so off. At this point, I’m thinking of either going topless with it, or cutting the pickguard to a Cabronita or LP-y or some other custom design. I’ll throw a chrome pickup ring on the neck PUP. Open to recommendations! Threw a pic on here of the pickguard I have, just to show color. The “IRL” color is pretty close to the pic.

Still waiting on the PUPs. Can’t wait to get it together.

Attached Files:

goatofballstreet likes this.
  2. CJT1775

CJT1775 TDPRI Member

And the other pics that didn’t attach...

Attached Files:

goatofballstreet likes this.
  3. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

Nice grain on that ash. Mind if I ask how much it weighs?

4. CJT1775

CJT1775 TDPRI Member

A gentleman never asks, and a lady never tells...

kidding. In all honestly, I’ve never weighed a body/guitar before - whats the preferred method? Can I just lay it on a digital scale?

5. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Rosser uses northern ash. He's not interested in offering lightweight bodies. Nice quality tho.

6. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

I have seen Rosser bodies on ebay and know the are rather heavy chucks of northern ash. That is why I asked about the thinline model. I like that you pick the pickup, control, bridge and neck pocket routes.

7. CJT1775

CJT1775 TDPRI Member

So I just weighed myself holding it, then without it, because I’m a caveman like that, and the body is 4lbs on the dot.

Also, looks like the pickguard does fit, as do the rest of the parts!

Attached Files:

ndcaster likes this.
  8. Jensen

Jensen TDPRI Member

Well, I impress my wife with my spray painted kits. I am never going to tell her what others are capable of doing :)

It is really looking good.

CJT1775 likes this.
  9. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

Thanks for the weight info. That should make for a comfortable, as well as beautiful guitar.

CJT1775 likes this.
  10. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Great-looking guitar!

CJT1775 likes this.
  11. KS6V

KS6V TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Looking nice. I've got a Rosser strat on order.

CJT1775 likes this.
  12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nice looking guitar!

CJT1775 likes this.
  13. CJT1775

CJT1775 TDPRI Member

Once again, my apologies for the bad pictures and staging. Just about there, just need to solder her up (maybe tomorrow), and bring her in for a setup. I went from never really doing any work on a guitar to throwing this together - it really is pretty easy! Can’t say enough about Rosser Guitars. Excellent quality and a great value, granted I believe that right now he is only doing Northern Ash bodies. Cannot wait to plug it in and play, and very anxious to play on the Warmoth Fatback with 1 3/4” nut. Only other electric I have right now is a 2005 Squier ‘51, and the neck just feels like a twig.

Attached Files:

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I ordered a body through Rosser and was very happy with the results. I had mine cut for TV Jones Classics and it is one of my favs in my quiver. Good quality and reasonably priced. Warmoth is still a great product, but to have them build what I wanted was going to be mucho dinero.

CJT1775 likes this.
  15. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

R
    Red tortoise for darker colors, Brown tortoise for lighter colors.

16. CJT1775

CJT1775 TDPRI Member

Well, she’s done. Picked her up yesterday morning from a local tech.

I love the guitar. Can’t say enough about the neck. The tech said it needed next to nothing, frets were level, and was straight as can be (which he credited to it being a “baseball bat” and the amount of material). He also complimented the body, which I think says something about Rosser, as even my bootleg finish couldn’t do it damage.

the sustain is crazy, again, probably because of the amount of wood in the neck. It’s crazy how much the neck dimensions reflect on playing. By far, the best guitar I’ve ever played. Granted, the only other guitars I’ve spent much time on were (a long time ago) acoustics and an early 2000s MIM Strat and late 90s Epiphone beginner package LP-style. This one just feels right in my large mitts.

I haven’t spent much time with her plugged in, but the Bootstrap PUPs sound great so far (my only amp currently is an Orange Crush 12 practice amp). Unplugged, very resonant and lively. Already planning my next build(s)........

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.