rosewood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Meteorman, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

My God, that rosewood neck is a thing of beauty!
    But I'll bet an all pau ferro neck could be outstanding as well.

2. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

That looks really nice.

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've had guitars with light colored rosewood boards that sounded awesome, and some with dark rosewood boards that didn't sound good. It's a non-issue to me. I care about the sound and playability. It's not a piece of art to be hung on a wall. My Martin looks like crap but sounds better than any I've ever heard. Look at the Clarence White/Tony Rice D28. Would you turn your nose up at that guitar 'cause it doesn't look nice enough?

4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Of course the good playing/sounding guitar always wins, but that doesn't mean it has to look bad, does it? All else being equal, if you had a choice between a guitar that looked like crap and one that didn't, what would you pick?

5. Larkins

Larkins Tele-Meister

Rumor has it that next year, pau ferro will be restricted as well...

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I generally prefer the darker look, too, but I think a lot of that is because that's what we're used to. It's becoming less of an issue to me all the time. Incidentally, when I was in my local Fender dealer a couple of days ago, the latest Mexican made guitars they had had really dark PF boards on them, making me suspect that they may be now staining them darker, 'cause of criticisms like yours. I believe many companies were already staining their rosewood boards, as well, to make them look more appealing.
    Taylor is now using Ebony with light streaks in it on their fingerboards, because Bob doesn't want to stain them to mislead buyers, and when they built their sawmill in Cameroon, they discovered that 90% of the Ebony trees felled by locals were left on the forest floor to rot, because they weren't perfectly black, and Bob thought that was a terrible waste of a precious resource.

7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

It is! and the unhealthy obsession on these kinds of neck began when I got it. Now I want all my guitars to have an all rosewood neck thats REALLY fat.

Thank you! It sounds great as well. Not as warm as I expected, a little bit on midrange to top end brightness, still got that tele twang.

I hope not!

8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Contrary to people's expectations, a one piece rosewood neck is brighter than a one piece maple one. Anyone who's ever played a rosewood Tele knows how bright rosewood can be.

9. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Goodbye rosewood, hello alternative woods!!!

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yes it will come to alternative woods as used by Maton Guitars ( Australia) , tommy Emmanuel's favourite.

Robert Taylor talks of mottled ebony fingerboards in the future but at least he points out that that will just have to be if you want ebony.

Please don't blame just the Chinese. Flying into Kuala Lumur is sea of palm oil trees, not sustainable ( life span circa 25 years) that go into hundreds of products. They are growing on the land where once stood ancient ebony and Rosewood trees. Commercially not viable to replant and "watch the grass grow".

Also, aren't we guilty for our gluttony of certain species as well as classical musicians?

I knew a soldier from WW11 who saw these woods, returned to Malaya and went on to becoming a multi- millionaire through the lumber industry. Well, now we have to live with it.
    I'm keeping my Rosewood b/s Taylor as well as a European maple and spruce violin as they will be very valuable in the future to whom I choose to will my instruments to.
    We are all to blame from furniture to fine instruments.

old wrench likes this.
  11. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

My biggest regret of these regulations is that it pretty much put an end to Japanese grey market guitars. Most sellers don't want to deal with cities paperwork. I'm glad I got my Crews Maniac when I did, it's made at the Bacchus factory and is a full 58 Les Paul replica with a thin nitro finish and got it for the price of a higher end Epiphone. I see similar guitars now selling between the 2 and 3k range. But man I wanted a Crews Maniac SG too.

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Here is a cocobolo neck I made for my 2012 build challenge entry. (back when there were build challenges)
    One of my next builds will have a wenge neck.

2012-TDPRI-cocosonic7.jpg
    IMG_20120513_182226.jpg
    IMG_20120513_181653.jpg

13. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

One thing to note is that cocobolo IS a rosewood. It is in the dalbergia genus and is therefore restricted according to CITES as well. Wenge, pau ferro, padauk, chechen, bubinga, monkey pod, etc. all make great necks and fretboards.

14. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Mike Simpson likes this.
  15. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

How true!

People love to talk about "personal responsibility", but in most cases they are talking about someone else being personally responsible.

If the exotic hardwoods were harvested in a responsible manner, there wouldn't need to be any CITES regulations. But the trees weren't harvested responsibly.

In some cases the trees were viewed as simply a commodity, a way to profit. In other cases they were viewed as a problem or a liability - they occupied space that could be put to other use, such as the palm oil plantations that tonetele mentions.

The exotic hardwoods are in most cases a slow growing tree. We aren't talking about long-leaf pine or radiata or poplar. If you are a young man and plant rosewood seedlings today, I'm not sure if they would grow to a viable harvesting size for your great-grandchild to cut down. The best and most valuable wood came from the original old growth forests.

It comes down to a question - how much are we entitled to? Are we entitled to all of everything, or is it our responsibility to leave a share for future generations?

I read the entire article that meteormike posted, and my impression was that the author of the article portrayed the American guitar manufacturers as victims of an unfair law who are in the process of lobbying the U.S. government to intercede on their behalf and get them an exemption from the CITES regulations. Your interpretation may very well vary!

My interpretation of that article led me to think about personal responsibility and what my involvement might be in this situation. The objective reality is that we are living in a world of diminishing natural resources.

Could it be that at some point we might have to say "I need to grow up and be responsible enough so that my grandkids and great-grandkids can have a piece of rosewood too"?

With all due respect,
    Geo.

Tonetele and guitarbuilder like this.
  16. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

To be clear, my education, career, & passion is in natural resource conservation (albeit aquatic animals, not plants).
    I have served on CITES status assessment teams that passed judgement on species status (again not trees!), that feed into CITES regulations.
    I personally am a huge fan of conservation-minded regulations and prohibitions.
    Put me in squarely the camp of "[we] need to... ...be responsible enough so that [our] grandkids and great-grandkids can have a piece of rosewood too".

OK... back to guitars.
    I still really like Mr. Simpson's Cabronita further up this thread, but I gotta admit I prefer the white pickguard. Kinda gives it a Buddy Guy vibe.

RogerC and old wrench like this.
  17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I heard that Eagles Inc. ( Frey and Henley) bought woods that were sunken into the great lakes or one of them . Is this correct? Their purpose being to dry old felled trees out and sell as lumber. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also Robert Taylor has a film on building Taylor guitars ( parts 1&2) on YouTube. It is interesting to note that the spruce came from storm damage - trees blown down and goes through the whole process of selection, cutting of quartersawn wood cuts and on to building.

But let's face it, we are all guilty, also running out of Grade A woods. I have seen ebony, tons of it, in floorboards in Singapore ( their museum), Raffles etc. That's just a couple of small wanton usage of woods throughout Asia and elsewhere.
    Even now spruce is being cut in the Carpathian mountains north of Rumania ( see violinlovers on YouTube).
    Yes it is a huge world problem. The only solution I can offer is limit logging and that will drive up prices ( so??) but worse, encourage illegal logging. I have hand fed a gentle orang-utuan and I went away weeping as I have been witness to the destruction of that species habitat over the last 40 years. You see it's not just logging involved here.

Pardon me for sounding angry but I used to walk past a timber drying plant as a way of saving bus fare money in High School and talked to the workers about woods.Then met a young lady Tree Engineer from Canada in Tasmania in 1980. I got a good education then on the state of this sad situation.

old wrench likes this.
  18. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Note that these regulations don't just affect manufacturers or vendors. Any cross-border movements of (old or new) instruments containing rosewood, including by individuals for non-commercial use, are potentially affected. A particular problem is local customs interpretation, which could be strict or lax. CITES began moves at Dec 2017 meeting in Geneva to loosen restrictions on cross-border movement of musical instruments containing rosewood, but greater certainty may await the next meeting in 2019 ...
    https://www.npr.org/sections/therec...g-with-rosewood-instruments-may-soon-be-eased

19. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

The law changes, manufacturers adapt with a non vintage-correct solution, and nobody complains about it.

I can only hope that heel-end truss-rod adjusters, and telecaster jack cups are banned next.

AAT65 likes this.
  20. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

So you’d buy and play a Hello Kitty Strat over a regular Strat if it sounded and played better?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.