Rosewood version of Vintera 50s Neck?

Mind Flayer

Tele-Meister
I have tried the Fender Vintera 50s telecaster, the one currently in stores that’s fiesta red with the white pickguard. I like the profile of the neck - fat, U shaped, 7.25 radius, vintage frets.

Anybody know another fender telecaster model where I could find a similar neck profile, but with a rosewood fingerboard?

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Most ‘60s models have rosewood. Not sure about the other specs but that’s be a good place to start.

John C

Friend of Leo's
You would probably be looking for something from the Custom Shop to get that early 50s shape with a rosewood fingerboard. It's also possible that at some point over the past 20 years a dealer got a run of Teles with that 50s neck shape and a rosewood board.

By the time Fender switched to rosewood in 1959 the necks were slimmer and were more of a D shape, which eventually became a C shape around 1960.

Mind Flayer

Tele-Meister
Thanks. I know there was a Classic 60s telecaster a few years ago that came in olympic white with a rosewood board and a 7.25 radius. Anybody have any experience with one who could comment on the neck thickness on those?

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You might have to go with an aftermarket neck. I recommend Parklane Guitars. Steve Parker does fantastic work. He used to work at Musikraft, I believe. No affiliation, aside from being a satisfied customer.

Biffa6

TDPRI Member
The American Vintage 64 (AV64) 2012-2017 build have a rosewood 7.25 neck, fat c I think - I have just picked a new one up that had been hanging in a store for 3 years - I’m sure physical retail being closed for c 18 months meant not many customers saw or recognised it - to my benefit, so there may be some out there!

doctymie

Tele-Meister
The American Vintage 64 (AV64) 2012-2017 build have a rosewood 7.25 neck, fat c I think - I have just picked a new one up that had been hanging in a store for 3 years - I’m sure physical retail being closed for c 18 months meant not many customers saw or recognised it - to my benefit, so there may be some out there!

I have an AV 64 Tele and a Vintera 50s. The neck on the Vintera is much fatter than the AV tele. The Vintera neck is bigger than my Anniversary Broadcaster. I can't imagine there's a neck fatter than the Vintera 50s.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
I faced a similar dilema when looking for a Rosewood fingerboard on a fat neck for a Strat. I ended up with an Allparts one; 1" deep 1st to 12th fret. Obviously it needed more work than a Fender one because it came bare wood, with no nut, but I'd previously striped and refinished a MIM poly neck on my avatar Tele to give it a more vintage tint and a thinner coating.

They do make a 'Fat' Tele neck as well. This is a UK shop, but I guess Allparts are available where you are?

TRO-FAT Telecaster neck:
https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1&products_id=348

I spent a bit of time smoothing the fingerboard edges and fret ends on mine before I sprayed it. I would say it's a very close feel to the 'Fat '51 U' MIM neck on my avatar Tele. I did eventually pay my usual guy to do a fret level on it, just to make the whole guitar perfect, but to be honest I didn't really have any issues with how it played before. He did such a good job it plays without buzzing at a much lower action than I prefer.

This was after I'd sprayed it:
Neck 14.png

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Just bear in mind that the Allparts neck Kelvin nicely did is a true 1.625 inches at the nut, and not a smidgen more. Any of the USA or MIM Fender necks in a similar vein will be closer to 1.64 ("today's 1 + 5/8ths inches") and I've got both and the difference is more than it sounds like it would be.

I agree with what John C is saying. This is just one of those "don't approach the issue in this way" types of situations. Find a new, in a shop, that's very much to your liking and make that work. Going Custom Shop or outside custom builders could still leave you not quite where you're trying to get to. IF the shape is that crucial to your liking the neck you end up with.

Mind Flayer

Tele-Meister
I have an AV 64 Tele and a Vintera 50s. The neck on the Vintera is much fatter than the AV tele. The Vintera neck is bigger than my Anniversary Broadcaster. I can't imagine there's a neck fatter than the Vintera 50s.

Thanks, very helpful.

Do you find that the vintera is hard to bend on with the gloss finish on the fingerboard? That’s always been my issue with maple fingerboards. With a 9.5 radius and or taller-than-vintage frets, it’s usually not a problem, but on a 7.25 radius with vintage frets you can really feel that finish and I wonder how that feels when it’s humid - seems like my fingers would “drag” on it, if that makes sense.

gkterry

Tele-Afflicted
The Baja 60s Tele has a fairly chunky neck and a rosewood fretboard. I don't think the profile is a U but I suspect it might be a bit hard to find a neck though.

I would suggest you try the 1950s Finishes shop on reverb.com:

https://reverb.com/shop/usas-gear-locker

I have bought 3 necks from them and they have been excellent. Two have been already installed, one in line to be so soon. They all are reliced, most lightly except the back of the neck which is fairly aggressively smoothed off - sorta like a Nash guitar. I believe they do some custom work so you might check them out.

doctymie

Tele-Meister
Thanks, very helpful.

Do you find that the vintera is hard to bend on with the gloss finish on the fingerboard? That’s always been my issue with maple fingerboards. With a 9.5 radius and or taller-than-vintage frets, it’s usually not a problem, but on a 7.25 radius with vintage frets you can really feel that finish and I wonder how that feels when it’s humid - seems like my fingers would “drag” on it, if that makes sense.

I don't find bends at all difficult on the Vintera 50s. My playing is influenced by Albert King, Freddie King, Otis Rush, so I bend all the damned time :D

Mind Flayer

Tele-Meister
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the fiesta red vintera. Love how it plays and sounds. Not wild about the stark white pickguard, I’ll probably replace it with a parchment or aged white three-ply guard, but other than that this thing is fantastic.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
Good call @Mind Flayer as you've played it and know that you like it: In hindsight I should have done something similar when I played a Strat with a fat neck, but a maple fingerboard, instead of going to all the trouble of building mine (twice!). Turns out I think I prefer maple fingerboards because of the gloss and after nearly 40 years of playing my other Strat with one I'm more used to it that the feel of Rosewood (even though some say you shouldn't touch the fingerboard, it seems I do).

Pure white maybe does look a bit stark though, to parchment/aged white would be a good and cheap change to personalise it to your taste. :)

doctymie

Tele-Meister
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the fiesta red vintera. Love how it plays and sounds. Not wild about the stark white pickguard, I’ll probably replace it with a parchment or aged white three-ply guard, but other than that this thing is fantastic.

Congrats! I put a one-play black on mine. Looks good.