Rosewood Trade Restrictions Increased

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cat MacKinnon, Dec 7, 2016.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

Recycling is good. I have a Canadian Dillion Les Paul Junior DC clone with a very nice board on it--one of the better I've seen. Since the neck snapped clean off, I'd be happy to see it be reused somewhere...

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

From the linked article it says

"Although approximately 50 species had previously been listed on Appendix II, the expanded listing comes with an annotation which makes the protection applicable to not only logs and sawn wood, but also what's called "all parts and derivatives," which means finished products like musical instruments."

When a species is listed on the CITES appendices all parts and derivatives are also included and protected. What you find with CITES appendix II is that finished wood is typically not included under this protection and CITES II species more or less cover logs and raw lumber. There are exceptions, of course, and it's an awful document to try understand and follow.

The only wood that I know of on CITES Appendix I is Brazilian Rosewood (Dalbergia Nigra) and all parts and derivatives of that, including finished wood, are restricted, as we all know. Going back to the linked article from the OP, I find it interesting that they specify "all parts and derivatives" being an annotation that will apply to finished instruments. The tonewoods that I'm familiar with that are on CITES Appendix II don't carry this annotation. I'm wondering if the person who wrote this isn't all that familiar with CITES or maybe just made a mistake, because I have a hard time believing that 250 species of Rosewood will go from not even being on the list to making CITES II with abnormal CITES II restrictions. Why not just make them CITES I if you want to regulate them so much?

As far as these woods being put on CITES Appendix II I think it's a great thing. Protect these species of trees so that we have them in our futures.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with it. I know in my line of work the Feds were trying to introduce grinding logs for all the ground beef we do, and the regulations were going to be a nightmare to follow. But by the time they got everything passed it was so watered down that basically we write down the lot code on a piece of paper with the date and the time we cleaned the grinder. There's more to it than that but they were trying to pass it to where every grind would have to have its own lot code labeled on the package so if there was ever a recall they could track every piece of meat as well as specifying the exact weight of each cut of beef that was in the grinder and the lot codes for each one.

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I agree. I just made a strat and bought a Rosewood neck from Warmoth to go with it. It has an incredible feel to it. After this news I'm contemplating buying a Rosewood tele neck for a future project just in case.

4. thyratron

thyratron TDPRI Member

What a can of worms!:mad:
    I have, in my possession, several board feet of 2" Sonokoling (plantation grown Indian rosewood, Dalbergia Latifola). I have had it for over 10 years and now it seems, I cannot send any out of the country even as a gift. Pretty soon this restriction will probably result eventually, in my not being able to take any out of Yorkshire. Note I am not a trader just a retired joiner with a hobby.

I might just have to make a fancy work bench.:eek::lol::lol:

regards,
    Paul.

5. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

This is really going to suck for us Canucks that buy a lot of used guitars from the US

6. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

And for us who sell guitars to the US.

7. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Just got this email from The STRATOsphere:

Starting today January 2, 2017 we will no longer be able to sell rosewood necks outside of the United States (unless you want to wait 60-90 days per order for a re-export certificate). New regulation has taken effect that calls for documentation when shipping instruments internationally that contain any amount of any kind of rosewood or certain types of bubinga.

The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) held a conference from September 24 - October 4, 2016 this year in Johannesburg, South Africa where it was decided that all species of rosewood under the genus Dalbergia and three bubinga species (Guibourtia demeusei, Guibourtia pellegriniana, and Guibourtia tessmannii) will be protected under CITES Appendix II. Each country has its own CITES Management Authority. If you live outside the United States, you can look up the CITES contact in your country here.

When shipping musical instruments that include any amount (i.e. fingerboard, back, sides, binding) of Dalbergia or the other newly regulated woods out of your country as part of a commercial transaction, each one must be accompanied by a CITES re-export certificate. CITES re-export certificates must be applied for through the US Fish and Wildlife Service. You can download the application here.

This is an ongoing topic, we will do our best to keep you informed on future updates, policies and procedures. We will also continue to provide an amazing selection of guitar parts for you as well as handle any concerns with these new governmental regulations.

Thank you for your continued support,

8. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

It is possible to apply for the proper paperwork in most cases . You just gotta file , wait and hope . The paper trail is key .
    Martin even prefers me to have a chain of custody for sycamore because it covers them down the road if sycamore were to ever be CITIES listed .

9. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

When rosewood is outlawed only outlaws will have guitars.

10. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Looks like torrefied maple is going to make a comeback.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm frankly not sure that replanting alone would've meant ample supplies in our lifetimes. Some Johnny Appleseed guy with amazing advance understanding would've had to get more of these seedlings into the ground over the last 500 years, or something. Really high end rosewood and ebony can take many multiples of human lifetimes to attain harvestable quality. What mankind has really done wrong is just use it for stupid things, and destroy the plants and the habitat without thinking. This is somewhat equivalent to the reckless burning and destruction of so much equatorial rainforest, where critical components of future lifesaving drugs are just discarded. We don't give hardly any thought to the highest possible use of the substance.

Ironic that this low end guitar brand/source is the genesis of this thread. I'd argue that using CITES wood in a Rondo guitar is a crime. Kinda like crushing the Hope Diamond to use it for "sand" blasting paint off trailers or something.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Slightly off topic, but I saw in a Rig Rundown that Carlos Santana has two signature model guitars that are exactly alike, except one has a rosewood neck (not just fingerboard) and it never leaves the USA.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.