Rosewood or ebony?? And why.

Rosewood or ebony??

• Total voters

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
My Gretsch has what they call "ebonized rosewood". Its a proprietary chemical process, looks very ebony on color (maybe that's what some are calling stain), but rosewood grain is evident.

I believe my Electromatic has the same treatment. It doesn't turn my fingers black like the pau ferro I have stained.

rstaaf

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Just to throw a wrench into what I said previous about preferring dark rosewood as it looks more like ebony, I absolutely LOVE the look of this neck. :)

It is a MIM Roasted Maple neck with a Pau Ferro finger board. The board almost blends into the roasted maple.

20210828_180124978_iOS.jpg 20210808_135011102_iOS.jpg 20210808_134617886_iOS.jpg

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
I bought this Chinese neck a couple years ago and continue to wonder about the fingerboard species. It was sold to me as rosewood, but I have always felt it looked more like ebony. It has not been stained, and these are the original pix I took before finishing the neck. Opinions?? And WHY?

Obviously very dark, but slightly more grain than typical ebony. The grain it does have seems much less and much shallower than typical rosewood. It also doesn't seem as "oily".
There are several of different types of rosewood, this might be one of the other types rather than the typical Indian rosewood that was used so much on fretboards until recently. Bolivian rosewood looks similar to ebony, however because it's a Chinese neck, it's probly not Bolivian rosewood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
There are several of different types of rosewood, this might be one of the other types rather than the typical Indian rosewood that was used so much until recently. Bolivian rosewood looks similar to ebony, however because it's a Chinese neck, it's probly not Bolivian rosewood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood

Very well could be. The manufacturer has been known to make a wide range of wooden instruments such as woodwinds, etc.. They may have a wider range of woods or suppliers to choose from than the typical shade-tree luthier.

Last edited:

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ebony, like on my ‘57 Les Paul Custom Ri. Mainly for looks, the darker the fretboard the better in my book.

CA1B766D-E1FF-4220-9074-E076189A0E8E.jpeg

Last edited:

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Now don't judge me, but if you go to the Richlite website, they really have some nice composite colors now. If I were to build a guitar for myself (which isn't gonna happen), I would likely use Richlite. I have two guitars with black Richlite fretboards and bridges which I love (the Richlite anyway) that would look a tad better with the newer colors with variations within the matrix. Martin and other quality manufacturers seem to be using it more and more. Virtually no waste and must be a dream to machine. But I do wonder how it refrets...

I looked it up, and some other guitar forums report it re-frets about the same as wood, and is even prone to chipping if you're too aggressive. According to this post:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320499
if you file a bit of "shoulder" to the slot before pressing frets in, chipping is minimized. I must say, I'm intrigued...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The first two I thought ebony but the third closer pic looks like RW with the grain pores.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I have never seen real Ebony up close, never held a real Gibson or Fender...so in my expert opinion, it is 100% definitely Tree Wood. Pretty sure.

I strongly advise you get some! Not only does it look smart and tidy, it is like playing on air.