Rosewood or ebony?? And why.

Rosewood or ebony??

• Total voters

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
perfectly black bony is one of the most expensive lumbers out there.. it's highly unlikely that a inexpensive neck from Asia has such as a fingerboard.... Then. . . your fingerboard has an open grain apparent... not seen in the "real stuff"... What it is is a lesser wood dyed to represent Ebony... such is becoming quite common today as the cost of the genuine Gaboon Ebony soars..

r

Could very well be dyed, but IME with dyed fretboards, they tend to turn my fingers black and fade in spots over time. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be an exceptionally good dyeing process - perhaps under pressure?

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
China is the largest importer of endangered species in the world. Buying from China, whether ebony or rosewood only perpetuates the problem.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
China is the largest importer of endangered species in the world. Buying from China, whether ebony or rosewood only perpetuates the problem.

Indeed they are. But that doesn't mean every business in China is exporting illegal wood/materials. Why discourage honest manufacturers? I doubt there is anything illegal in my $60 neck.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Based on the pores I would say rosewood. Remember that not all ebony is jet black, Bob Taylor has single handedly changed our view of what is acceptable for ebony. I would also guess that it has a stain or some oil on it, its pretty dark based on my very limited experience.

I don't want to get into a big discussion of CITES but I think all rosewoods (except Braz) and all ebonies are Appendix 2. People are looking for options, this might be one of them.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I hate to do this to all of you, but here are some pix I just took with various lighting. The bright flash looks a lot more like rosewood, but normal light has more of an ebony color.

View attachment 925732 View attachment 925734 View attachment 925735 View attachment 925736 View attachment 925737 View attachment 925738

Feel free to change your votes...:oops:
perfect example of why I dislike many necks now days. The grain is very open and ugly. Soft sometimes too.
I voted Rosewood, but I love Ebony that is super tight grain. Trouble is, hard to find very often. You see it on higher end guitars though, rosewood or ebony. My Geo Benson Ibanez is superb. My '69 Bluesbird had an ebony board that was so tight grain it almost looked like flat black plastic. Wonderful.

SO my answer is: whichever is super tight grain!

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Based on the pores I would say rosewood. Remember that not all ebony is jet black, Bob Taylor has single handedly changed our view of what is acceptable for ebony. I would also guess that it has a stain or some oil on it, its pretty dark based on my very limited experience.

I don't want to get into a big discussion of CITES but I think all rosewoods (except Braz) and all ebonies are Appendix 2. People are looking for options, this might be one of them.

FWIW, it does not suck up finger oils like typical rosewood. The sheen has stayed pretty uniform over 3 years of occasional play. It never looks dry like most of my newer (<20 years) rosewood boards that are still thirsty. So I suspect as you mention, it may have been dyed and oiled in the same process, which may be why it seems so stable. Perhaps better penetration. I think S/M sells an "ebonizer" that is likely a combination of oil and dye. Never used it.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
perfect example of why I dislike many necks now days. The grain is very open and ugly. Soft sometimes too.
I voted Rosewood, but I love Ebony that is super tight grain. Trouble is, hard to find very often. You see it on higher end guitars though, rosewood or ebony. My Geo Benson Ibanez is superb. My '69 Bluesbird had an ebony board that was so tight grain it almost looked like flat black plastic. Wonderful.

SO my answer is: whichever is super tight grain!

Some people like heavy grain, contrast, and figuring. I don't typically like it on my fretboards, and usually end up dying or staining my pau ferro boards for more uniformity - and black fingertips.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
My vote would be dyed Rosewood or similar, especially because I also have a Chinese made neck that's suspiciously dark for being Rosewood. I actually prefer a dyed Rosewood or other fingerboard wood; I don't like that "chocolate stripe" look at all. I very much prefer the flat black of actual Ebony, but I can't afford it now.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
My vote would be dyed Rosewood or similar, especially because I also have a Chinese made neck that's suspiciously dark for being Rosewood. I actually prefer a dyed Rosewood or other fingerboard wood; I don't like that "chocolate stripe" look at all. I very much prefer the flat black of actual Ebony, but I can't afford it now.

Now don't judge me, but if you go to the Richlite website, they really have some nice composite colors now. If I were to build a guitar for myself (which isn't gonna happen), I would likely use Richlite. I have two guitars with black Richlite fretboards and bridges which I love (the Richlite anyway) that would look a tad better with the newer colors with variations within the matrix. Martin and other quality manufacturers seem to be using it more and more. Virtually no waste and must be a dream to machine. But I do wonder how it refrets...

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Some people like heavy grain, contrast, and figuring. I don't typically like it on my fretboards, and usually end up dying or staining my pau ferro boards for more uniformity - and black fingertips.
I dont mind figuring etc at all, I meant I dislike those very open grain lines/gaps.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Based on the pores I would say rosewood. Remember that not all ebony is jet black, Bob Taylor has single handedly changed our view of what is acceptable for ebony.

Here's details of Bob Taylor's Ebony Project.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/ebonyproject/

And I love the look of streaky ebony as on my Mule
20180221_131227.jpg

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
My Gretsch has what they call "ebonized rosewood". Its a proprietary chemical process, looks very ebony on color (maybe that's what some are calling stain), but rosewood grain is evident.

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
I'm thinking it is either rosewood, or some species that is similar to rosewood. It is for sure not ebony.