Rosewood or ebony?? And why.

Rosewood or ebony??

• Total voters

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought this Chinese neck a couple years ago and continue to wonder about the fingerboard species. It was sold to me as rosewood, but I have always felt it looked more like ebony. It has not been stained, and these are the original pix I took before finishing the neck. Opinions?? And WHY?

Obviously very dark, but slightly more grain than typical ebony. The grain it does have seems much less and much shallower than typical rosewood. It also doesn't seem as "oily".

EDIT: Not looking for preferences, just opinions on what this particular board may be.

Attachments

• 20200218_090018.jpg
    20200218_090018.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200218_090027.jpg
    20200218_090027.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 20200218_090111.jpg
    20200218_090111.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
Why did you choose rosewood? Grain? It really has minimal fine grain.
I’m no expert on woods, though I’ve owned rosewood, maple, ebony and richlite boards. On the three I’ve had with ebony, I could find no trace of grain. And my eyes may be fooling me, but I see some rosewood streak in that wood. Could be lighting, but around the fret edges, it looks brown to me. That wouldn’t be ebony like I’ve experienced.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I'd bet rosewood, as pores like those are uncommon in ebony, it would rather polish smoothly in my experience.another test you could do is by weight, as ebony is denser and therefore heavier, such a neck would be heavier than what you are used to with a rosewood fretboard. Nice dilemma :)

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
It's not ebony (those open pores are a clue), and it's probably not rosewood, either. I suggest this because that has been stained. If a guitar maker is going to use a premium wood like rosewood, they would leave it its original color to show that it is in fact rosewood.

If it is rosewood, it's probably a very low grade with uneven color, or perhaps a wood in the dalbergia family (relative of rosewood).

Did you do the fretwork (level/polish)? That looks like good work!

rstaaf

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Rosewood on Electric, Ebony on acoustic.

No reason other than preference ;)

I do tend to prefer a dark Rosewood that almost looks like Ebony though o_O

I bought my BatStrat from Sweetwater and the dark Rosewood is the main thing that made me pick it over the others of the same model and color that they had in stock at the time...

20211001_233545482_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
perfectly black bony is one of the most expensive lumbers out there.. it's highly unlikely that a inexpensive neck from Asia has such as a fingerboard.... Then. . . your fingerboard has an open grain apparent... not seen in the "real stuff"... What it is is a lesser wood dyed to represent Ebony... such is becoming quite common today as the cost of the genuine Gaboon Ebony soars..

r

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
From what I see, I would say gaboon ebony. I have a Chinese ebony fretboard on my Eastman. It has very similar pores in areas. Additionally, all black ebony is typically only in the heartwood and the industry is starting to use more of each tree harvested, so streaking is starting to occur across the guitar building industry and will most likely become more of a standard. My .02

Edit: I see that @Ronkirn posted while I was typing. He is by far more of an expert about this than I am.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
It's not ebony (those open pores are a clue), and it's probably not rosewood, either. I suggest this because that has been stained. If a guitar maker is going to use a premium wood like rosewood, they would leave it its original color to show that it is in fact rosewood.

If it is rosewood, it's probably a very low grade with uneven color, or perhaps a wood in the dalbergia family (relative of rosewood).

Did you do the fretwork (level/polish)? That looks like good work!

Pretty much the way they came. I checked level but I don't recall any that were off. All I did was polish. They are a family instrument maker ("song-maker" IIRC) I believe and have a decent reputation on eBay. I bought the neck unfinished. For $60 I was impressed. Tele neck with Gibson specs (scale and radius).

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I hate to do this to all of you, but here are some pix I just took with various lighting. The bright flash looks a lot more like rosewood, but normal light has more of an ebony color.

20211204_131936.jpg
20211204_131928.jpg
20211204_131859.jpg
20211204_131827.jpg
20211204_131816.jpg
20211204_131806.jpg

Feel free to change your votes...:oops: