Rosewood on it's way back??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kerberos, Sep 10, 2019.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

What do you mean, purely cosmetic? Surely rosewood has special sound properties bestowed on it by the forest pixies?

Is anyone else reeeally hungry?

2. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Not into pau ferro , i like Indian laurer looks much more. Hope to see rosewood back

3. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

If it's cheaper than the fake stuff they'll return to using it.

4. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I’ve tried just about every pick under the sun and keep coming back to Ultex. They don’t slip and there’s a noticeable tonal quality that I like. I have a number of holders loaded with different thicknesses, some pointy some round... I wish they would color code the printing....

JayFreddy likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great way to explain it.

Over two million guitars are made each year, with factories clamoring for rosewood and making a rent in the forest -- because they only take the very nice rosewood with the straightest grain. Guitarists as a group are more politically minded than many other demographics and thus need to encourage alternatives. The factories won't change their ways unless buyers demand it.

Can you play just a little bit better to overcome any sound or playability perceptions you may have? For a good cause?

JayFreddy and maxvintage like this.
  6. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic

We don't even recycle glass here in Nassau County on Long Island....GLASS!!

Hiker and Telecaster88 like this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Needs some local pressure. My two teenagers are pressure enough in my house. I’m lectured about everything ... I didn’t know I was so bad!

8. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

All my guitars are rosewood necks except two, a cheap maple neck Tele and a new Epiphone Moderne with a Pau Ferro fretboard. I have always preferred rosewood for the feel but the Pau Ferro feels the same and doesn't sound any different.

If I want to buy a guitar with a rosewood board it won't bother me one bit. I don't sleep worth a damn these days, but the reason for it is exponentially worse to me than whether a tree lives or dies.

Milspec likes this.
  9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Face it folks , most people will buy exactly what they are told to buy and most will never question the choice , even if they could figure out what they were choosing about . Brazilian Rosewood is nearly as common in Brazil as Black Walnut is here . Brazillians consider Black Walnut to be exotic . We have great luthery woods right in our own back yards , but because the idea that they are inferior , mostly because they are rare here persists , we don't use them . They are the wrong color or some lame reason always seems to get in the way . CITIES could be abolished today and I would still continue to use domestic woods . My latest solid body used Basswood , American Sycamore , Black Walnut and Mullberry . I realize that this strays from the wood discussion , but since Fender now offers Alnico 4 magnets in their pickups , people will consider them instead of rejecting as before .

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic

I'm baffled about the Glass. That goes for Styrofoam as well. They did start taking cardboard here.

11. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Many cities do not have curbside glass recycling, sometimes citing added transportation costs due to weight as the reason.

You may wish to see if there is a recycling center you can take it to nearby. We do not have curbside glass down here either, but every two months I take a couple of boxes to a local recycler.

12. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I prefer rosewood, mostly because I don't like the glop Fender puts on their maple boards. Luckily, there are a kajillion used guitars out there made with nice rosewood. The rosewood being used now on new guitars is not much different in feel from pau ferro anyhow.

JayFreddy and Doctorx33 like this.
  13. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I am referring to the move to richlite and other materials that were winning the battle for rosewood replacement

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I really don't think it will be like that.

This is a partial relaxation of restrictions. This is IMO not a return to the way things may have been 15 years ago.

I am expecting a different sort of solution, in the long run, to wanton waste of these resources.

The bigger concern, for me, is some sort of large scale calamity that forces Western Countries to turn their attention away from protecting rosewood trees, to something that appears more existential.

15. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Good, I guess, but I've never found regular EI Rosewood to be wither attractive or particularly fine-sounding. I don't like the purplish stuff, that's for sure, and most of the browns are not really attractive. And when it's left less than perfectly smooth, as seems to be the case with Gibson fretboards and some others, I think it's a cruddy look and a cruddy feel. Old, straight-grained BRW was spectacular stuff, but current stocks of available rosewoods are not that appealing, IMO. I like many alternative woods equally or better, and definitely prefer decent mahogany to RW.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I think that nails it. It’s makes little practical difference except in the imaginations of the small minds of their conditioned consumers.

JayFreddy likes this.
  17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That sucks it's back. I hope Squier keeps the Indian laurel for their fretboards, I want one.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the whole architecture of this discussion, is compromised. Everyone here knows there's a giant surplus of existing guitars already manufactured, of various materials; enough to last for 20 years even if all production of electrics ended right now, today, in the USA and everywhere. And I think that rosewood trees of the highest quality will be brought down by people in less affluent countries, to put bread on the table or put money in the dowries of their daughters - unless we use force to stop them. If we can capture some of the essence of these trees and put it into something timeless, like a nice guitar, we can do that or we can let some hyper-affluent possessor of obscene new found wealth buy it all to make a huge solid wood desks or bed frames out of all of it. Not one room, but scores of rooms, in scores of residences. The measure of that man is to be found in the reduction of these forests to dust - you can't fight that around the edges.

We could be part of the problem, we could, if it wasn't for the picayune role that guitar making plays in the consumption of tropical timber and in the wanton, pathological destruction of the rain forests. We've got stage four lung cancer, but we've discovered a new mineral supplement that's gonna save us.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.