1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rosewood Neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HoyBoy, Apr 16, 2021.

1. HoyBoy

HoyBoy TDPRI Member

Checked out some new Telecaster today. The neck felt sticky for lack of a better term. Will that go away.

2. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Probably polyurethane neck finish. You mean if it will go away just by playing the guitar? Even if you play a lot it will most probaly still be sticky. Some use really light sand paper to remove the finish but I dont have any experience with it.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I it is Nitro, I would not risk it.
    But a poly neck should not be sticky either. If poly does it just need cleaned maybe?
    \But you mentioned Rosewood, do you mean the fret board is sticky?

Geo, Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Like @schmee I wondered if you meant "neck" or "fingerboard".......if neck, is it really "sticky", or just has a "drag" to it? I've had several glossy necks that had very glossy finishes, that (especially on an extended gig) had too much drag to them. VERY LIGHTLY, I knocked that gloss down with a green Scotch Brite pad......just enough to "smooth it out", and that solved the problem. Even on unfinished necks I finished with Tru Oil, I do a very light final going over with extra-fine steel wool, for a "satin-y" surface.....that stays smooth regardless of how much I perspire.
    IT CAN BE CORRECTED.;)

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

What @nojazzhere said if it's just the gloss feeling sticky. It will go away or you can dull it a bit. But if it's the finish on the back that is sticky, I would stay away. I had a new Gibson archtop that never would go away. Nitro.
    If the fretboard that would be strange for rosewood. But I imagine it can be cleaned. It's not Pau Ferro right? That feels kinda soapy.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly, that's why I wanted to make the distinction between "sticky" and "draggy". (my personal terms, I guess) To me, sticky is when something actually clings to the finish, like lint from a cotton ball. Draggy is where it seems to slow down movement of your hand as you move up or down. If the neck is truly sticky, like the finish isn't fully cured or dried, I, too, would steer clear. ;)
    Was the Gibson nitro issue related to improperly mixed finish chemicals? Luckily, I've never experienced that.

schmee likes this.
  7. HoyBoy

HoyBoy TDPRI Member

Sorry - I meant fingerboard. It is rosewood, not Pau Ferro. I tried guitars of the exact same model with both maple and rosewood fingerboards. The Rosewood just felt like it was holding the movement of my fingers although ever so slightly. The maple just felt to me that I was moving around better. I really like the guitar body colors that are offered only with Rosewood. I want to buy one of these guitars. I don't want to find myself with buyers remorse. I could like the color and not feel good about paying it or I might like the feel but hate the color.

Boreas likes this.
  8. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Was it a new or used guitar?

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Did the rosewood appear excessively dry? Sometimes really dry wood will hold your fingers some. It is also possible someone applied a "conditioner" to it that ended up being sticky.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. HoyBoy

HoyBoy TDPRI Member

It looked almost wet.

Boreas likes this.
  11. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds like someone applied something to it at some point. I have a friend that can really funk up a neck with his skin exudates.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Agree with Boreas.

I've got a one piece rosewood neck, and in just fine sanded form, everything about the neck was smooth and silky, front and back - that was the best part about it. And rosewood boards, whether from Fender or aftermarket, don't have a finish on the face of the board - from the factory. And they'll feel great, unless the rosewood has badly dried out from a long winter in Michigan and the surface is parched OR someone has applied something to the rosewood later on and mucked it up. Among the substances that can be applied, are the funks coming off the fingers and hands of certain players - something about their metabolism is not right.

13. qcridgerunner

qcridgerunner TDPRI Member

I for one prefer a maple fingerboard. I stay away from rosewood because I feel the same way as you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.