Rosewood is going back !!! Yay

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic

Let’s talk responsibility.....buy used. There's got to be millions of guitars on this planet already made. Do we really need more? I love a new guitar as much as the next guy but we really need more?

trev333, john_cribbin and Tonetele like this.
  2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Well why did you make your statements without recognized, scientific and Mathematical data? That was my query in he first place.

drlucky likes this.
  3. Tonetele

I agree. Clear the ground and start re-growth. Problem is, we'll have to wait a couple of hundred years to spare. So, TD, walk Alex and ply a lot of golf with the wife in the meantime.;)
    I met a Canadian girl in 1980, in Tasmania, whose job way back then was to choose trees for logging and others to be left to grow. This problem is certainly not new.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Well said Festofish I am currently searching for a Hagstrom Viking 11 with toaster pickups or a Japanese Lawsuit era Les Paul. We would do well to buy old, used or second hand. They are great guitars sitting in attics, wherever, not being played by baby boomers. Who said new was better? think of Carlos Santana's Yamaha SG type.

Festofish likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know it takes a long time to grow, and some can't stand harvesting the BRW, but if you ever play a really great BRW D-28, you would cut down the last tree on earth to have one! It would be wasted on me at this point in life, but one of the greatest opportunities I missed in life was to purchase a pre 55 D-28. They could be had for under 300 bucks when I was first starting out. No one wanted an OLD guitar, they all wanted a NEW one!

Me and Alex are getting along great! He's not Toto, and never will be, but you know what? Alex is just his own dog, and doesn't even know that! Today marks the 58th week since Toto's passing, I miss him just as much as the day he left. Alex makes it a little easier though, and I'm grateful for him. Golf tomorrow!

drlucky likes this.
  6. Tonetele

Hey TD- why not rent a truck, collect all the wood you can, sell it to instrument makers and others , like Jerry Rosa, who go through a ton of firewood each week? New set of custom made golf clubs in that. Teejay.;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Anyone with Photoshop skillz? Add a D-28?

[​IMG]

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

You know what? That's a pretty good idea! One of the guys over at the course near my house went to a golf school got some lessons, and had a set of new Callaway golf clubs made up for him to fit his swing. Paid six grand for the fitting and clubs. Then he had a custom built putter made for, I kid you not, 900 dollars! I saw him hitting balls on the range the other day with his new clubs. I asked him if they made a difference? He said, you know, if I'm gonna be honest, I still suck at golf! :lol::lol::lol:

LutherBurger likes this.
  9. Tonetele

TD whether you suck at golf, as my brother -in-law and I do, ( particularly me,) it's good to get out in the fresh air and have a chat. He's a lovely man, my sister got lucky.
    Anyway, find that location, get the wood," people will come" and you'll have a nice new set of tailor made clubs. Cheers Mate.:) Teejay.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

There’s plenty of maple , and ash also, tons of oak but I know that’s not what guitar players need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've now got a hankering for a Brazilian Rosewood tele.
    The prices of run of the mill Rosewood tele bodies has skyrocketed on ebay. There used to be only a few offerings, 2 bodies for around $450 each. Now there's loads of them and the cheapest is $1300 bucks. Cities seems to have had quite the opposite affect on how much rosewood is being used on guitars.

With bodies going for $1300 bucks plus I expect to see a lot more solid rosewood bodies being made than ever before.

12. Bedder18

Bedder18 TDPRI Member

Yes, sir...and those palm trees won’t stop a mudslide like a well anchored hardwood tree (and as you mentioned, the loss of other associated species)

13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Who is "getting used" to not having a rosewood fretboard option ? Not me !

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Chiogtr4x and hdvades like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I meant ' getting used to' as a way of saying sacrificing a little for the greater good of an endangered species and bigger picture the Earth, is something we can deal with.

15. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

The rosewood switch was flipped in my brain long ago, and given the fact that most of the current supply tends towards the purple, ugly coloration (and often seems "grainier" and far less smooth than the old stuff) I really don't care anymore. Since I'm not a fan of the stuff, seeking more sustainable materials is an easy position for me. I just don't see an upside to rosewood.

16. Toto'sDad

Actually, most days I can still play fairly decently. Funny you should mention TM, my woods and hybrid club are Taylormade. My irons though, and I have ten of them, are Calloway. I don't change much of anything now I like my setup. My wife found me a 1995 Scotty Cameron Laguna putter at a garage sale for a buck! I put a nice counter balanced Super Stroke oversized putter grip on it, and it's a wonderful stick. Played with my group Sunday, tomorrow's momma's day. We have a really nice course only about a mile and half away, we're planning on playing there tomorrow. Lots of water, and lots of sand on it, pretty challenging.

Tonetele likes this.
  17. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

It is difficult to tell which environmental regulations are really helping, which are greenwashing, and which ones are really about enriching some lobby or other through the back door. For example, the CAFE law is widely recognized as a grossly inefficient way to reduce vehicle carbon emissions and its most evident effect is that families with kids no longer drive station wagons (relatively fuel-inefficient cars) but instead drive trucks (even more fuel-inefficient, but fall under a different set of rules).

I have no idea whether lifting the ban on rosewood for musical instruments will cause catastrophic environmental destruction, or allow marginal/sustainable use of rosewood in luthiery, or whether it will simply make it possible for musicians to travel with their instruments again without fear of overzealous enforcement.

Some people in this thread seem to be very, very certain about the answers to these questions.
    There should be some objective data-driven analysis to back up these sorts of claims. If this is an important regulation that should be re-instated, we should be able to see something to support that need other than impassioned appeals.

18. Tonetele

Well TD has made it clear to all of us here he's okay with his clubs but we all have to chip in and get a BRW Martin D 28 for his Xmas gift.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.