Rosewood is going back !!! Yay

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Robert Taylor talks about this on youtube. He can source Ebony from Madagascar and Cameroon. Though he says a lot more Mottled fingerboards will be the result of worldwide shortages. He also does a video on accessing storm damaged spruce trees in Alaska.
    I 'd heard of the possible exemption in the CITES agreement a few weeks ago-good news now it seems.

What really blew me away was the thick floorboards of the Singapore Museum- all Ebony. How many colonial buildings are like that in Asia?:mad: Also furniture is not able to be made from A grade mahogany anymore. My millionaire twin brother has a dining setting of aged Mahogany that was twenty years aged, shipped to Australia and he purchased this superb setting 20-30 years ago second hand ( it's in mint condition).
    It's been happening since Chippendale made furniture in the 1700s.

The average back and sides is 3mm ( on an acoustic)or roughly a little less than 1/8" or 0,001" in US terms.
    How sad must classical musicians feel also?

2. Tonetele

P.S. Malaysia used to be full of East Indian Rosewood and ebony, Teak as well. Some "savvy" soldiers from WW11 went back and felled forests and became enormously wealthy.
    Now, when you fly into Kuala Lumpur you see millions of acres of Palm trees. Their oils are used in many products. The problem is that the trees only have a 25 year life, then they need re-planting. Oragutuans are going without as a consequence and a Dutch Dr. De Wit is doing his best there and in Borneo to save the species.
    Welcome to the 21st.Century folks.
    Correction to above post- less than less than 0.125"

maxvintage and tintag27 like this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

BR doesn't have any specific properties that are superior to other woods - there are denser, stiffer, lighter, prettier, easier, and cheaper woods. Its just a tradition started 4-5 centuries ago, as an exotic material from the New World, to differentiate products.

PS - fake conservation is unfortunate. I blame the obvious for perpetuating false information, and accommodating emotional activism. Anytime emotion is accompanied by a crusade, check the facts independently and closely. You will often find the facts don't support the movement, contrary to belief.

El Tele Lobo, Owenmoney and Scooter91 like this.
  4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Silly question, to which you already know the answer. Who ever claimed perfection? We do what we can.

stevemc likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

57fenderstrat, Owenmoney and DekeDog like this.
  6. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Wow .. That's one good looking geetar!

But what's with the ugly plastic knobs? :D

Chunkocaster and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I see a whole lot more trees in the background too. There are plenty of trees on this planet, I live in Pennsylvania and there’s more trees that fall in our woods without cutting trees down that can be used for guitar making and as previously said plant some seedlings. If foreign countries want to harvest rosewood, make them plant two trees for everyone cut. I remember seeing a Weyerhaeuser add years ago where they were doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moosie and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

I think the finish on a MIM Fender is thicker than that rosewood. Did they spray it on? Kind of sits between 'fretboard' and 'veneer' to look at it.

Does anyone know if they laminated a flat veneer or if they shaped it first? Just curious.

9. maxvintage

Sure, yes, lots of trees. There were lots of brazilian rosewood trees at one point too. Now there are very few. they're very slow growing. Plantation rosewood is a long term, like generational, investment

In the PA forest you'll have lots of tulip poplars. Big trees, live a long time. The wood is relatively soft and rarely has attractive figure. It tends to be greenish looking and to blotch really badly when you stain it. There will be lots of other trees that could make good guitars but are rarely used--cherry, beech, birch, black locust; it's a long list--because guitarists need to have rosewood, man, because the toaaaan!

Sustainable harvesting is a real possibility, but it takes care and a regulated marketplace.

Owenmoney and drlucky like this.
  10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems "we" do what can after we already got what we wanted.

11. maxvintage

I have no idea what you do, I do what I can. As explained, I build my own instruments and don't use tropical or subtropical hardwoods that are rare. Or buy rosewood furniture. I drive a car, use fossil fuels I'm typing on a computer full or rare earth metals, so what are you arguing? Therefore I SHOULD use a lot of rosewood? Perfection is impossible therefore oh well?

If your argument made sense I could respond to it more effectively.

drlucky likes this.
  12. Tonetele

@Musekatcher do you know the "facts" and what are they? I travel to Asia a lot, at least annually, and have seen the destruction first hand since 1978. So, for the "so-called uninformed", please expalin? (Aussies will get that joke);)

maxvintage likes this.
  13. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

@OP

Thanks for the CITES update. I the know decision was made to take rosewood off the list for musical instruments but could find no info on when it would happen. I'm not a big fan of rosewood as I've preferred pau ferro long before the ban was initiated but it has inhibited the purchase choices due to shipping concerns. It will be interesting to see how this develops . . .

14. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I am not a tree hugger by any means, but my Dad taught me a long time ago about moderation. Too bad a lot of things in the world aren't "moderated". As far as that Pau Ferro, Fender Corp., already started they will not be using rosewood any more. I like the Pau Ferro board on my Epi 335. As with the rosewood boards on my other guitars, it has darkened with playing, at least in my situation.

Tonetele and drlucky like this.
  15. Tonetele

I'm not a tree hugger nor a Greenie but I do want future generations to have god woods in musical instruments. Let the furniture makers and cabinet makers use veneer-most of their custoers are snobs and only like the "look" of the furniture. Most wouldn't know the difference between a dovetail joint and a finger joint in cupboard drawers.
    Bring on Ikea!!;)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Now i miss my Candy apple red tele, although i had maple neck

17. Tonetele

Correction: I obviously meant to say good, not god, and no disrespect to any religion or religious people. I respect all faiths.
    I am a very bad typist; my apologies.

18. Tonetele

RoCkstAr256, and all others here, that is the kind of " mottled" ebony/ rosewood fingerboards Bob Taylor is telling us to get used to. Look at the Youtube video- he's about NOT wasting good wood even if it's less than perfect.
    I have a really nice Taylor with Rosewood and ebony. I got lucky a few years ago.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Grind up the stumps, set fire to whole mess, plow it all under, and start raising a cash crop. That day is dead and gone, begin a new one.

Tonetele likes this.
  20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I highly recommend you collect your own data. Until that data is universally, and unanimously agreed as factual, the data can't be considered fact. Anytime data is debated or argued, there is no consensus. When there is no consensus, there is reason for doubt. True science and math needs no debate or argument.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.