Rosewood is going back !!! Yay

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Oct 7, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, woo-hoo deforestation. yay o_O

2. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

That would be the sensible option - older ones are OK (say, pre-2015), and make no more new ones.

Anyone who has bought new since 2015 will have a receipt, I would have thought. Or ask the guitar companies to provide lists of post-2015 serial numbers that are 'legit' for trading/travelling?

Not too difficult to implement, I reckon?

dlew919 likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm ALL for saving the world, and the rosewood, BUT, can we start saving it AFTER I get me a Brazilian rosewood D-28? Oh, what's that? I can already buy one for $ 19,800 dollars, well yeah there is that.

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

do you live in a cave or was land clear and lumber milled to build your house?

REWTX likes this.
  5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

No, I will not.

20180906_101245_resized.jpg

6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I like my rosewoods too, but I'm okay with Pau Ferro or Indian Laurel..

But thats why I buy older models to get rosewood boards.. :)

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have had many, many Telecasters with maple necks, the only one I ever had with a rosewood fretboard sounded better than all of the rest of them, maybe combined. I know it's not supposed to make a difference but it did. I lament its being gone often. Why, I don't know, I probably wouldn't play it even if I had it back.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

EIR is a sustainable crop tree. BRW not so much, but I can see trying to sustainably develop and maintain BRW trees for use by luthiers.

Having said this, my preference would be to buy up old rosewood furniture and turn the wood into guitar components. That way no trees are cut, and existing harvested wood is repurposed. Currently, I have a small stash of BRW suitable for bridges that was harvested from an old vintage racing trophy!

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Did they finally work out that they can plant more rosewood trees?

Their madness did get me a good price on a rosewood classic 60's series neck last week.
    Buyers were starved for quality rosewood necks as evidenced by my bidders and the 36 watchers on my auction.:)

There is an oversupply of unwanted new pao ferro necks available too.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    El Tele Lobo, Twang Deluxe and Jim603 like this.
  10. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Should rosewood be used on a $250 Squier fretboard?

11. Bedder18

Bedder18 TDPRI Member

Having spent a couple of years in a very impoverished part of a 3rd world country, I will say that it’s almost impossible to police hungry bellies. Try telling a desperate father which trees he cannot cut down on his own land to feed his family. If an overseas businessman is offering him cash- he’ll cut every last tree to feed his family. My point is- sustainable forestry (fisheries and everything else environmental) works only in wealthy countries where governments can afford to enforce the law. If demand is global, the resources will dwindle in these impoverished places as other nations stockpile and consume it. We take the green approach, and wash our hands, while Japan and China are sinking exotic logs by the thousands in their harbors. The Philippines, Indonesia, and Malaysia (once more biodiversity than the Amazon rain forest) have been nearly deforested by the greed of other nearby Asian nations, and our “drop in the bucket” demand for rosewood guitar necks makes about zero difference.

El Tele Lobo, Jim603 and REWTX like this.
  12. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I rejoice, but only because it means I can buy second hand stuff without the worry of weird paperwork getting in the way. A lot of the older generation of axes use rosewood for specific models that I want to get into, like Jazzmasters, 335s, 60s strats/teles.

FWIW I, too, have gotten used to the absence of rosewood, my main axes now are using either maple or ebony fingerboards.

13. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I don't care what the wood is on my guitar fingerboards, nor do I care where it came from.
    If they play nicely, and sound good, and the guitar sings to me, (and yes, looks good) then I buy the guitar.

Save the rain forests, save the whales, save the planet, whatever.

When I'm very old, I'll be asking somebody to save ME, most likely.
    And I don't expect anybody out there to care anymore for that salvation than I do that of some trees in South America.

I do know this much;
    Right this moment there are more trees alive and standing in the United States than there have ever been before.
    That's a testimony to good reforestation practices.

Brazil?
    Get your act together.
    Plant some seedlings for Christ's sake, so the sob sister conservationists will stop trying to make me feel like a criminal for owning a proper guitar.

:)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    DLReed, REWTX, Jim603 and 3 others like this.
  14. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I'll add my voice to the mix 40 years ago I was an ebony purist and I love the look of variegated ebony even more, but I must admit I'm looking for a couple more fenders. If fender could up their skill with ebony boards, I would buy one.

PCollen and DekeDog like this.
  15. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I preffer one piece maple neck and board, but like the fact rosewood being back

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yay!

44984048-252C-448C-9D93-D55D792AD2A5.jpeg

Sad to see so many rationalising their contribution to the mess.

Any perceived demand, from any quarter, in the lumber market feeds and perpetuates the issue.

If rosewood is seen as the sexy, in demand choice for instruments, then it makes it easy for marketers to continue to sell it as the sexy, desirable choice for furniture, etc. too. That is how fashion and marketing work. Mythmaking.

stevemc and Norris Vulcan like this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You see a mess, I see a harvested field. As others have said, sustainability is within reach. Plus, which of those two stumps on the horizon was used to build this year's guitars? I can't quite make them out way over there...

El Tele Lobo and Owenmoney like this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry. I was not aware that organised ‘farming’ of rosewood was going on.

If you can share some links to these upcoming rosewood farms and sustainable sources, I am sure it will help the market fuel demand for ‘farmed rosewood’.

God forbid I’d have to play these... :)

3F3AD91D-71C0-40FB-8194-93001097F24C.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    dlew919 likes this.
  19. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Well, they certainly didn't waste too much rosewood on my '75 Tele! Happy that the import/export of vintage guitars will be easier but totally agree that the ban on using new growth should continue.

Seen it all before with commercial fish stocks, as soon as they show a glimpse of recovery they open up the fishing grounds again and within months have to close them down because of overfishing, we need to learn to let things be for a while.

upload_2019-10-8_9-52-26.png

Luthi3rz, stevemc and Tonetele like this.
  20. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I also sold an old worn out Rosewood Neck from my Mexico Standard Strat, that needed a refret.

For only 50 Euros more I got a brand new Classic Player Pao Ferro Neck and I'm happy with it

Chunkocaster and Tonetele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.