Rosewood fretboard cleaned, now it’s hard to bend strings

RLee77

Friend of Leo's
i recently did a thorough cleaning of the rosewood fretboard on my tele, using Dunlop fretboard cleaner. Now, when I try to slide my fingers against it, such as when bending a string or doing vibrato, it is very difficult. The fretboard is like, squeaky clean to the point of resisting any sliding of a fingertip against it.
Seems like I’ll need to put something else on it, to restore the slick, low-friction feel. Any suggestions?

Dismalhead

Doctor of Teleocity
First of all, make sure the board is oiled. I use food-grade mineral oil, but other types of oil will work that people here will happily recommend. I remove the strings, oil the board with a thick coat, let it soak for about 15 minutes, and then wipe the excess off with a cotton cloth.

If you've done that, then it's hours of playing my friend and getting that finger grease going.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I use this after I oil a fretboard. It has coconut oil, which is waxy at room temperature, and some fine pumice powder that's a mild abrasive. Cleans and polishes your frets, seals the oils into the wood, and makes everything awesome.

1664587362442.png

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
i recently did a thorough cleaning of the rosewood fretboard on my tele, using Dunlop fretboard cleaner. Now, when I try to slide my fingers against it, such as when bending a string or doing vibrato, it is very difficult. The fretboard is like, squeaky clean to the point of resisting any sliding of a fingertip against it.
Seems like I’ll need to put something else on it, to restore the slick, low-friction feel. Any suggestions?
Your fingers don't have to touch the wood. Mine don't.

I use this after I oil a fretboard. It has coconut oil, which is waxy at room temperature, and some fine pumice powder that's a mild abrasive. Cleans and polishes your frets, seals the oils into the wood, and makes everything awesome.

View attachment 1035300

You put COCONUT OIL on your guitar?!? Why???

Lies&Distortion

Tele-Afflicted
Never had that problem. But I have never had to clean a fretboard. I must not put as much pressure on the strings. Also don't gig, so my guitars probably stay cleaner. Only time I have messed with surface of rosewood is after crowning frets - I use a razor blade like a cabinet scraper to remove any file marks.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Many deep cleaners use naphtha, which will remove the oils and the wood will feel "dry". Now you need to put the oils back if you don't like the feel. Just about any of the above will work fine. I personally use Stew/Mac "lemon" oil, but any light mineral oil should work.

Next time, just use a slightly dampened cotton cloth (not soaked) and rub off as much dirt as you can. Most of the oils will stay behind. Polishing your frets will go a long way toward getting that slinkiness back!

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Keeping the fret board properly oiled after cleaning is as important to the fret board's years of service as it is to your bends, etc.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
One of the reasons I prefer maple boards is that rosewood looks so filthy if you don't keep cleaning it.

People complain about poly on maple fretboards, but it keeps them looking clean (even when they're not).

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member