Rory's Moonchild - What's the correct technical term for this key/mode change?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by schmintan, Mar 29, 2020.

1. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

Rory Gallaghers Moonchild sounds to be in Am but on bar 9 it changes to G maj as it cycles around the G root, but further analysis makes me think its actually in C maj.

So, my question is, if its in C maj, but bar 9 focus on G as a root, is that just C maj but using the 5th mode?

Or am i overcomplicating and getting it completely wrong?

[​IMG]

2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just listened to it for a minute, and it sounds like it's a riding the storm out kind of riff. in AM and it really doesn't employ like regular straight Diatonic harmony....I'm no expert or anything but look through this if you like

https://www.ethanhein.com/wp/2014/blues-tonality/

I think this (at bottom from that link) might touch a little bit on what's going on in that song...

I think you can also hear that E7 chord in there (which is of course pointing back to the Am) that would not be Cmaj tonality. It seems like it's in Am to me but in blues (you can almost think of it as A blues or Amaj blues or whatever) And I know that Am/Cmaj are the "same" key in diatonic harmony but when you throw in the rock blues context I think it all gets smeared around a bit. so... I'm no expert at any of this stuff so take what I say for what it's worth.

If you want to know what Rory is up to maybe transcribe the melody and see what sort of notes are there, I imagine Am Penatonic, and learn some of his licks, and you can probably figure out if he's throwing some Am dorian or some Gm penatonic... or whatever in there.

high incidence of both the ♭7^ scale degree and the♭VII chord. These are rare in common-practice minor tonality, and vanishingly rare in common-practice major tonality (DeClerq & Temperley, 2009). While the flat seventh probably entered rock through a number of vectors, like the Mixolydian mode used in various folk musics, blues is likely the main source.

Rock’s other major departure from common-practice tonality lies in the distribution of pre-tonic and post-tonic chords. In rock, the most common chord preceding the tonic is IV, whereas in common-practice music it is V. Furthermore, in rock, the IV, V and ---->> ♭VII <<----- The G chord is a flat7 in moonchild chords are as likely to precede the tonic in rock as to follow it. Again, rock has many streams of influence, and any number of folk musics have contributed to the relaxation of the rule that V must precede I. Once again, however, blues is likely to have played the strongest role.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.