Root Canal: Should I Do Nitrous?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Dec 5, 2019.

1. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

Or as we call it around here, "A perfect Thursday night".

Wait.... Today's Thursday! Whoo-Hoo!

2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Root canal without a double shot of novocaine would be extremely painful. I would skip the laughing gas and go straight to novocaine, unless you enjoy pain.

Wallaby likes this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I agree - skip the nitrous and load up with novacaine.

I've had two root canals, and they both were basically painless. My Endodontist uses some kind of "fountain" that flows novacaine in and around the area and the open tooth while he extracts the roots and pulp. This is in addition to multiple generous shots of novacaine.

The lower roots can ache afterward, but that's what ibuprofen is for.

It is possible to catch a buzz from novacaine... it might feel familiar if you were young and energetic in the 80's.

Part of aging I've discovered is having to give up chewing ice, hard candy and popcorn.

NateD81 and HotRodSteve like this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wake me up when it's over.o_O

Nitrous and a scrip of Percodan please.;)

5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

My brother's ex-wife was a dental assistant. I can't remember exactly how old I was...must have still been a teenager, and we went over to her workplace one time to pick her up after work. They gave me a small hit of nitrous and I got goofy for a short while. But I know they were doing it quite frequently when my brother would pick her up after work. He was a cop so that's how I knew it was okay to do it. ;)

6. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I actually don’t know anyone who had nitrous. I guess people are stronger here up north.
    I much prefer light dental work to be done without any freezing, of course that’s not applicable to a root canal

7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nitrous...I didn't and wasn't anything (as bad) like thought. Jaw cramped a bit and that was really the extent of the discomfort.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

On nitrous, that hasn't been offered by my dentists for years but I do remember parts of my freshman year in college. On Thursday evenings one bar had dime taps and it's neighbor had cocktail specials. At same time the dudes who owned a record store and head shop would be at one of the two with a punching balloon filled with nitrous. It was a really effective way to get some beer or cocktail only drinkers to mix.

On root canal, my one time was nothing compared to a broken tooth that was fixed via implant or a dentist who did a poor job with a crown.

Someone told me their dentist will prescribe a single diazapam (Valium) if it's confirmed you have a driver. I don't know about teeth but that sure helped me with diagnostics a urologist did before some surgery. The staff joked those single pills really help them too even though the patient swallows the pill.

Good luck regardless. I confess that I'm tough for sports injuries but but dental and urology not so much.

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd choose the needle for a root canal.

10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

My 2 cents: Back in school I tried NO a few times recreationaly; it's weird, but no negative side effects. The last time I did it was in a dentist's chair. I think they gave me too much. When I came out of it, I was dizzy, headache-y, disoriented and kinda freaked out. I couldn't drive home for about an hour, I just had to sit there and try to sober up. If you opt for it, tell them to go easy on the gas, and only turn it up if you beg for it.

11. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Morphine, lots and lots of morphine...

12. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Got one coming up too, I'm going with local, I hate being sedated. The only downside is that I get the jitters because often times they mix epinephrine with the local to restrict the capillaries for a longer anesthetic effect. I won't be having coffee that morning ; )

13. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Make sure your dentist isn’t doing the root canal while riding a hover board.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Stay away from any dentist in a clown suit with balloons.

Had it done on the same tooth twice last year. Novocain aplenty.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.