Root Canal: Should I Do Nitrous?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Yea!

He was pretty busy so i didn't get to grill him about his Blackguards and Tweeds!

:D

2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I had mine done last year without nitrous, and in my experience, there was a kind of hangover effect even with just local anesthetic. The process of the root canal is fairly violent and traumatic to the surrounding tissue. I felt worked over, over worked, and pretty foggy the rest of the day.

3. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

Same here. I had one done on a rear molar, they just used a local and I didn't feel a thing... I was thoroughly surprised..

Stringsofdoom likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

One of my favorite scenes in that Grateful Dead doc that came out a couple years ago was the nitrous scene.

They were not at the dentist .

There were undoubtedly headaches later that day or the next though.

You can’t ride the laugh-laugh train for free !

Texicaster likes this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Nah, not for root canal.

When they carved out my wisdom teeth, I don't know what they gave me, but I remember asking for a pint " to go!"

Deeve likes this.
  6. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

I always get nitrous for cleanings.

7. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Seriously, it's a matter of pain threshhold and anxiety level. It's a bad idea to use drugs of any kind beyond basic necessity. Nitrous works really well for most people for both pain and anxiety/distress, and also tunes you out of the experience. So it's hard to say that it's a bad idea. For some people, it also reinforces the habit of excess medication and self medication, and that's a bad thing for sure. I go with the least medication needed, so I don't do nitrous for root canals -- and I've had many, and some pretty bad ones. But it's not a neutral choice, and the difference is not just cost and convenience. There's a reason why dentists do not freely encourage nitrous anymore.

8. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

In the mid '70s I hadn't seen a dentist in a few years. I started going to the UOP Dental School in SF. It was cheap but you needed a lot of time in the chair since each step of the procedures had to be checked by an instructor. I had all four wisdom teeth impacted sideways in the bone. It was such an involved operation that the instructor did it all himself and used it as a teaching experience. They did two at a time a week apart. They gave me 20 mg of IV Valium. I didn't care what they did to me. It condensed over two hours into what felt like 20 minutes.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I get my root canal on Monday. Got to 59 1/2 before I needed anything like tha . I hear they aren't as barbaric as they used to be

Skydog1010 likes this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Your second sentence is hysterical ! :lol:

KWal and FLHT like this.
  11. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I asked for it several times but my dentist used to play guitar with me so refused. I think he thought I’d like it! Dang!

In all seriousness I’ve had 3 root canals and a good practitioner with Novocain will have ya feeling no pain at all.

12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

yes

13. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

For extractions I found the BIG needle directly in the jaw after like three small needles to the gum line is fine...Your whole head feels like it’s far away and You stay awake with zero pain.

14. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol: I wasn't going to mention that aspect of this question. . . .

15. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I have what I feel is an average pain tolerance and root canals are no biggie from my experience (I’ve had three..) the worst parts are getting the initial local shots, then at the end they inject some sort of hot filler, but it’s quick and really not bad at all. I was terrified at my first one but after that I wondered what the fuss was all about.

16. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

I've had two RC's

Plenty of local Anathesia and no pain at all. The dentist road that if I felt any, to raise my hand and he'd put more in.

Gotta have a really good dentist that you trust. Mines a keeper and I'm happy to drive back to where we used to live to see him

NateD81 likes this.
  17. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Such a non event. I'm actually a little sore towards the back of my jaw were they were jabbing the needle as evidently there's a big nerve there that controls the tooth I was having done, #29.

Used to always hear a root canal was at the pinnacle of pain but so far didn't even move the needle for me. I almost fell asleep in the chair and would of it is was more comfortable!

Skydog1010 and stratoman1 like this.
  18. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

So.... Uhhhhh .. got a name, number, and address for this "dentist"?

Asking for a friend....:rolleyes:

Skydog1010 and Fretting out like this.
  19. Skydog1010

Most of mine were impacted, thankfully I only had the three left that were sideways, a regular dentist removed the first that was languishing in the upright position. He's also the guy that did my one and only Root Canal (1964) first one he ever did, and a couple years later it abscessed and had to removed by a oral surgeon, which intelled going to a city 30 miles away, 14 times. The original dentist paid for the entire costs of all the procedures to save my jaw bone. Tooth on lower jaw bone smack dab center incisor. After impacted wisdom teeth pushed my remaining pearly whites together, since this was after braces had been used to straighten out all my teeth, impacted wisdom teeth came in handy.

I don't have anxiety issues with dental work, I just can't stand the nerve endings pain. They chiesled those three out sent me home with Percocet which took two chugged a tall boy and woke up the next day. Had been married like two weeks and had moved the weekend before. Whew.

20. Skydog1010

They numbed the trunk. They do that these days. They did that to my wife and she had a pretty significant bells palsey event ( butchered the spelled) like a facial stroke. But we are old.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.