Root Canal: Should I Do Nitrous?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Dec 5, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Many years ago, I had a root canal, on a molar, with a simple needle injection - and didn't feel a thing! ;)

I feared the worse, but trusted my dentist. He was right! :)

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Had 3 root canals, just frozen, no big deal

Obsessed likes this.
  3. mark53

mark53 TDPRI Member

Many many years ago when I was young and stupid a bud worked for a while as a hospital orderly. He managed to liberate an entire cylinder of nitrous, oh what a summer we had!!!

Deeve and Fretting out like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I have had four different root canals done historically and only took Novocaine all I can say is that it took care of the operation just fine and nothing hurt as much as the way my tooth felt before having it taken care of

5. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It depends on the person like many things. If you are senstitve to such things, it can be an unpleasant experience. I know as I am one of them. It makes me severly ill and I will have the spins for house after...it has been that way since I was a teen.

My advice to you is if this would be your first time, I would choose a local instead.

tery likes this.
  6. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

It'll stain your teeth.

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

LOL... I don't think he was talking about coffee.

But Coke is used to anesthetize the eyes, not gums if I understand correctly.

It must have been the IV anesthetic that gave me the hangover... everyone's description of Nitrous matches up with my experience, so I guess the other times (non-dental) were nitrous.

That IV anesthetic hangover I had was horrific. Nothing like dry heaves when you just had 4 teeth removed!

I know I'm sensitive to opiates too.. when I had those 4 teeth removed they sent me home with an opiate, I only took one, it was really bad.

getbent likes this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

A simple injection usually works well for a lower jaw root canal because it is possible to block all nerves on the pain pathways. It’s more difficult to get complete blocking of the pathways from the upper jaw. I’ve had injections for both upper and lower and done OK. Want to hear from a real dentist? Post on the PRS forum.

9. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure you have it backwards. The pure dose would have been recreational. I'm pretty sure the dentist mixes it with oxygen. Don't think there is any worry of "hang over". I've had several root canals but never had nitrous from a dentist. Root canals in my experience are not especially painful, but as you mentioned can be time consuming. Go for it if you think you'll be more comfortable.

10. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I've had two. The first one about ten years ago and the dentist warned me it was going to hurt for a couple of seconds, even after local anaesthetic. #&%~$@#! - he wasn't joking; I nearly jumped clear of the chair and cussed like a sailor, which made the pretty dental assistant laugh out loud. The next one three or four years ago (with a different dentist) was painless. She couldn't understand why the first one should have hurt using the same anaesthetic.
    Come to think of it, the first dentist was Scottish and I'm English. Maybe they still haven't forgotten Braveheart. :D

electrichead and JL_LI like this.
  11. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Thanks!

I'm amazing calm about it. Used to panic big time! Like I said I've only had one issue and local once and didn't feel a thing...

I'll wait till I get there and check my level of anxiety...

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There's some pretty good evidence pointing to the possibility that you should never have a root canal.
    A few dentists near me will no longer do them.

13. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've given up the local anesthetic. The last filling I got was done au naturel and I walked out of there with all the feeling in my face and a blood supply loaded with endorphins. Will do again.

Root Canal is a different story. If it ever comes to that, I'll take the local nerve block needle. But anything extra - like nitrous, etc - I'll steer clear.

Especially for $100. That could be used for gear!

14. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Wayyyyy better than poly :D:cool:

FLHT, G.Rotten and ukepicker like this.
  15. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I was advised to go for implant just due to the one and done best practice BUT much more expensive and supposedly this tooth is a good candidate for the root canal. Oral surgeon is an hour away and endocrinologist 10 minutes. OS takes 3 trips including consultation....

You can always extract and go implant if it comes to that.

Thanks!

16. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When I was a boy back in the 50s our family dentist did not use anesthetic for anything. He did a root canal my broken incisor with nothing for pain. I've often thought the movie Little House of Horrors was about him. Later the Navy had to re-do the root canal because he had botched it so badly.

ukepicker likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had the nitrous as a kid and it was great, for some reason I haven't had it since when visiting the dentist and its painful no matter what they are doing.
    Have the nitrous and get your moneys worth. If you do get it wear a clean pair of underpants and hide your wallet.:)

18. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Na, you should be just fine:)

Average_Joe likes this.
  19. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I was born with little to no enamel on my teeth, consequently my dentist and I are good friend’s. I always ask how he likes my Porche.
    I’ve had lots of dental work done and too many root canals. For the drill and fill a local is fine. For a root canal I’d do the NO2. There’s no pain, and no reactions to the noise and vibration you might experience. Safer for the dentist to.

20. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Nitrous is old tech.
    Turbos are the future.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.