rookie with a mellencamp signed telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by grace27, Oct 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. grace27

grace27 TDPRI Member

Good evening folks,

I´d kindly ask for some expert opinions...
    For around 21 years I have a black telecaster, originally signed by John "Cougar" Mellencamp, in my posession. I used to work for a record company back then, but now it´s time to give few things up.
    I would be greatful if the experts could give me a rough price indication - or maybe there are some takers here? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 2:46 AM
    Piotr likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!
    Usually a living artist’s signature is not worth much.
    I’d (gently) suggest you research the value of the guitar, and price it at that, and perhaps add a little ($100).
    I’m basing my opinion on decades of music store and pawn shop management.
    Good luck!

3. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Pictures are always required for this type of thing

Henley, stepvan and blowtorch like this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

[QUOTE="brookdalebill, post: 10174398, member: 38701"
    Usually a living artist’s signature is not worth much.[/QUOTE]
    OK, not to be ghoulish, but John was born with spina bifida, is a heavy smoker, 69 years old, and already had his first heart attack many years ago. Last I saw he looked healthy but we all know it's only a matter of time. I'd hang on...

Love ya John!

5. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aww, man, that's cold! Imagine applying that logic to Keef.

Crobbins and stepvan like this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

He’s also had at least four wives and is dating Meg Ryan off and on, so those factors might add to your actuary/equation of longevity.

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Is it one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07776S91D/?tag=tdpri-20

he's well-known artist - but can't say that when you think of him, that telecaster comes to mind. He did tour with a telecaster-shaped object, apparently for one of his tours.
    Mellencamp Australia Tour.jpg

all that said - if your version is one of the "autograph" specials, not sure it's ever going to be worth more than the retail value, and likely to take a 50% reduction for being used, unless you happen upon a rare combination of Mellencamp rabid fan + collector of strange telecaster iterations, that may or may not be useful player.

Just my 2cents.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  8. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If Keef stops and tries clean living he surely will be 6 feet under in no time

Crobbins and hdvades like this.
  9. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Getting off subject here, but the people we've lost so far this year has given me a most irrational fear of
    losing very many more of those of us of a certain age (I'm in my mid sixties).

Back on the subject: Sometimes, the best place for celebrity autographed instruments is donating it to a charity auction.
    Somebody who is a fan of the artist may be glad to own the instrument and help a charity while having no particular expectations about playing it.
    Well, think about it...

10. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Pictures...imo it depends on the Telecaster entirely. His signature is subjectively worth under $100, if the Tele is documented to be used and signed by him, it's worth more. How much more? Start an auction at $1 with a proper reserve and you will find out.

If it's a $100 Tele not used by him, it's worth under $200.
    If it's a USA Fender Tele or a hand made custom for him and signed..well then.

11. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Keef is going to outlive us all.

hdvades likes this.
  12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith TDPRI Member

basically, the price of the guitar, plus the price of the autograph. Mellencamp's autograph isn't likely to be very rare, so I'd be surprised if you get much more of a premium for it.

13. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Provenance is key when it comes to items associated with famous people. A picture of the artist signing that particular guitar, along with a letter stating the circumstances of the signing, can increase the sale price when it comes to people that collect things associated with the guy.

Otherwise, it's just a guitar with a signature that may or may not be genuine.

14. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

Do a search on Google and EBay. There are a few out there. Doesn't seem to add much value.

15. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

Any idea if Joe Bonamassa ever looked at or touched it? Now that might be worth something.

16. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

That Tele was probably worth more 35 years ago... when he still had airplay.

17. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

no pictures = it didn't happen

18. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

He's been seen playing quite a few telecaster-shaped objects. This one though is branded "Signature Series". Is that Fender's Custom-Custom Celebrity-Only Shop?
    I dunno, seeing that guitar makes me think somewhere there's a little crank sticking out of it that when turned plays "Pop Goes The Weasel".
    Also, there's a picture of him signing a notebook, not a guitar, and his hair is very short & neat. That kills 90% of any alleged value right there.

19. grace27

grace27 TDPRI Member

Thank you folks so far for your answers. For what its worth I´ve added pics (thoughtI did, but forgot to add it to the thread)

20. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Since no one replied after you added the photos - it's a 1998-99 made in Mexico Standard Telecaster. Those are worth something like $250-$300 or so here in the USA. I think that the idea of adding $100 for Mellencamp's signature is reasonable - it's not a guitar that he played, just one that he signed for a giveaway. Being that you're in Germany I don't know how big his fan base is over there, but you never know - if you put it up on ebay or a some other auction site you might get a couple of fans into a bidding war to get you more than $350 USA for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.