Rookie questions on building a Vistatone clone

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by woodandglue, May 10, 2020.

1. woodandglue

woodandglue NEW MEMBER!

First post!
    Hi,
    I'm pretty new to building and modding guitars. I recently began building a guitar in the Valco/ Supro/ National vein. I Looked at the construction of the Vistatone pickup and it looks like they put the magnet on the side and covered it. Is it possible to take a hot wound single coil and add a magnet to the side of it and get in the ball park? Do I need to connect some wires somewhere? Any help, insight or direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I have had a couple supro pickups. The coil is wider than a fender. Putting a couple thick alnico magnet bars on the side and removing the slugs would be similar but probably not right on the money as you can see. There are some steel plates in there too. valco pickups are not humbuckers so you end up with a hot and a ground wire.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21134-cult-coils-lesser-known-vintage-pickups?page=6

https://www.rautiaguitars.net/valco-style.html

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. woodandglue

woodandglue NEW MEMBER!

I think I looked at that video last night! Thanks for the hot tips! It sounds like you are saying it is possible. Now I need to know what needs to get connected to what to make sure it all works...

4. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hi Woody,
    I recently experimented with making a similarly-configured single coil stuffed in a Gibson style mini-humbucker. The experiment worked sonically really well. It’s a very distinctive tone. I’ll save the adjectives. You can home-brew a single coil to lay sideways under any humbucker cover. Let me know if you want to undertake the endeavor and I’d be happy to walk you through it.
    Rob

RogerC likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.