Rookie mistakes, neck mounting holes, ferrules...

Spandelero

TDPRI Member
Just thought I'd post an update on this!
I decided to simply use the hole I got, and it worked out nicely! (At least by my expectations and skills)
Here's some pics of the current state:

DSC_0179.JPG
DSC_0178.JPG
DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0181.JPG
More mods will follow... :)

Attachments

• DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0180.JPG
    DSC_0180.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 10

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Any reason you couldn’t have bought a Fender Deluxe neck plate, contoured and drilled to match? If needed, it’s really simple to dowel existing holes in the body and neck and re-drill if alignment is off

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The holes in the body don't have to be perfectly at 90 degrees to securely hold the neck. What matters is the screws go into the neck an hold it.

If you drill the neck for the screw holes and you see light at the end if the tunnel...as a typical mechanic will say, "there's yer problem, lady."

Neck-Drill-Oopsie.jpg

Spandelero

TDPRI Member
Any reason you couldn’t have bought a Fender Deluxe neck plate, contoured and drilled to match? If needed, it’s really simple to dowel existing holes in the body and neck and re-drill if alignment is off
Yeah, I considered it, but I actually didn't want a neck plate on this one. Also I did make a paper "copy" of such a neck plate and use it to align the holes, because why not :)

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
The holes beind splayed like that won;t hurt anything and match the contour of the heel anyway. I gotta say though, I think you oversized the screws for those ferrules. Smaller headed screws would be less noticeable and draw down tighter into the ferrules. Stew Mac sells a specific sized screw for use with neck ferrules but I can't recall if they are #6 or #8.

Spandelero

TDPRI Member
The holes beind splayed like that won;t hurt anything and match the contour of the heel anyway. I gotta say though, I think you oversized the screws for those ferrules. Smaller headed screws would be less noticeable and draw down tighter into the ferrules. Stew Mac sells a specific sized screw for use with neck ferrules but I can't recall if they are #6 or #8.
Huh, good point, didn't even consider there might be different head sizes for the same screw diameter... Obviously I couldn't use a thinner diameter screw since three of the holes where already there, but if it's just the head size, then I supppose I could!

I'll think about it :) Thanks for letting me know!