Ron Kirn Owners/ Appreciation Club

static111

Tele-Meister
Possible new member here. An Old Blackie has come up for sale locally!! Can anyone provide details on the specs of this discontinued model, particularly the pickups? Apparently the OEMs have been replaced but are included, so any ID marking to look for?
Given the current you-know-what restrictions around here, I'd like to know as much as possible before actually meeting up, as there will likely be minimal opportunity to really go over it in detail.

@DavidP
I had a ol blackie, sold it in a time of a financial squeeze. Mine had the thicker 50s neck and a reverse control plate. I have never owned a guitar that lent itself so well to playing. It made me want to practice the boring stuff like scales and theory. It was really a joy to hold. Additionally the stock pickups are amazing! I thought I wanted something hotter and replaced them with some lollar specials for about two weeks, but then switched them back to The original pickups that Ron included. Someday Finances permitting I will hunt down 0982 or else have rom build me a new one. Truly great guitars. Get it you won’t be disappointed.

jimmieg

TDPRI Member
I just ordered a Kirn T type....should have it in about four months or so. After shopping for a good while and almost ordering a CS Tele, I called Ron and had a good conversation and think I made a good decision. Will post pictures once I have it. Can't wait!

corbo

Tele-Meister
Just ordered a second T from Mr Kirn. Here are some shots of my first :) IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0259.JPG

bsman

Friend of Leo's
New Ron Kirn strat day! Just took delivery of this Kirn stat - loblolly pine one-piece body, Duncan HSH Fender bridge. Plays great - needs a string change. Here it is with its littermate, my ash Kirn tele!

Caboverde

TDPRI Member
Looks great. How long was the build time on it? I've thought about going custom but am not great at patience :)
Thanks! Each time I pick her up, I can't help but smile. It's such a breeze to play; and Ron's pickups really are something special. A quirk I've noticed is that the neck seems slightly elevated necessitating the bridge saddles to be much higher than I'm used to seeing; but I've since found that this is meant to cause more downward pressure from the strings on the saddles to better transmit vibrations. I cannot deny that this guitar is incredibly dynamic thanks to this kind of setup, and the slight elevation also seems to aid in access to the higher frets. I'll try to post a recording, soon.

To answer your question: I bought it used a few weeks back, so I'm not sure how long the build time was. I'd highly suggest contacting Ron. He is always very responsive via email or phone.

To give you an idea, this guitar has (according to the specs sheet):
*Flame maple neck
*Vintage tint nitro
*Rosewood fretboard
*Vintage cream dots
*Soft V profile (.87-.98)
*1 11/16" nut width
*6125 stainless steel, 22 frets
*Swamp ash body (1pc body, I believe)
*Gotoh hardware
*Pale yellow opaque finish
*RK Custom pups w/4-way switching
*Standard lightweight Gator case

If I spec'd it out today, it would be around $3k--and worth EVERY penny, in my opinion.

Caboverde

TDPRI Member
Jan 2021? So you have been waiting 1 year 4 months?
That didn’t sound right to me, either; so I just assumed it was a typo (Jan 2022). I’d be very surprised to hear that Ron would have kept anyone waiting that long.

In other news: it looks like Ron has finally resumed accepting custom orders.