1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ron Kirn necks...from a supplier?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by szechuanking, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starjag

starjag Tele-Meister

It appears to me that the implication with your original post is that Ron simply does not make necks whatsoever, which is false: he makes his own necks if that is what the customer wants.

You say that you are disappointed and not impressed. People in turn provide pictures and other evidence of his outstanding craftsmanship including a neck made from scratch.

So, honestly, tell us what is YOUR problem?

2. fuzzworks

fuzzworks Tele-Meister

You were able to question it. Now you have been provided with photographic evidence that he does, indeed, make his own necks for customers who request them. This is where you say, "Oops, my bad, that makes perfect sense. I think I will buy a Ron Kirn and have him make the neck. Thanks for the help everyone!"

Good luck with that taco.

3. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

''less impressed"

4. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I can't. I play a Squier. I'm waist deep in student loan debt. Not sure I will ever be able to afford one before I check out.

But, really, please don't lump me in with the complainers.

okythnx

-k

5. bluesy

bluesy Tele-Holic

How many guitars have you assembled personally?

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

True story….. :rolleyes:

Time was, I had a 100,000 acre Flame Maple farm…. Grew ‘em things lovingly, even went out and personally started a fire at the base of each one to create the “flame” pattern…I’d start ‘em. And put ‘em out... over ‘n over. Every time ya do so, it makes one of those little “flame” lines…. Wherd ya think it got the name….? I would plant ‘em in the spring, and cut ‘em down in the fall, then rough ‘em into neck blanks… I didn’t hafta wait years for the wood to dry ‘cause I’d sprinkle it with Mighty Fine Mikes Magic Mojo wood dryin’ powder. Worked like a champ…. Gonna miss ‘ol Mike…Cooties got ‘im..

The hard part was takin' all that brass, melting it down, adding zinc, and then pounding it into perfect little 6105 frets… making those tangs is really really hard…. And have ya ever tried making a #4 wood screw out of an old nail with nothing more than a Barlowe knife and an old file? So now, I buy screws too….

Well…..Then I lost my Farm Subsidy, the land was condemned, seized, and a buncha Section 8 apartments were built….. lotta riff-raff moved in so I sold the rest of the land ‘n moved to Jacksonville…. Back in ’41 if I recall….so I had to break down and buy lumber…. That worked fine for about 92 years until, all of a sudden all the lumber wuz beein’ scarfed up by the Hunts trying to corner the market on Flame Maple futures. Them two Texans just didn’t have the sense to go make and put out, then re-make their own fires.

So… I had to start buyin’ necks from the neck makin’ place…. But the neck wuzzn’t what I wanted, so I wood reshape the would into what I wanted…. Bin dooin’ that for the past 46 years…. Werkz pretty gud too..

So here we are, 151 years into a career of makin guitars, and I hafta stoop to buyin’ necks from some of the greatest neck makers on the planet… yep… caught me… fair ‘n square…. Cheetin’ people…. Lessee, it costs me about 40 bux to make a neck, or 250 to have Tommy crank out one of his spectacular pieces…. I am such a nasty fink…ain’t I?

C’mon guys… If I told ya who all bought necks that you thought made ’em you would choke… but like me, they take them as a rough then reshape it into what has been ordered… and like me, when they “feel like it” or just wanna, or cannot find someone to make what they want or if a client in$ist$, we… make ‘em from a raw hunk of lumber… For instance… I’m doing a Gibby Firebird/Jazzmaster hybrid…. Yep Firebird with JM goodies… “, afraid ya just cannot get a 25 1/2 inch scale neck with a Firebird headstock, parallel to the neck axis as opposed to the Gibby style slanted headstock… so I could say No…. or I could get resourceful..

If that chokes ya up… look at that “store bought” baby you’re playing… chances are way high the neck was NOT made by the company who’s name is on the headstock but probably by a company that actually knows what they are doing…;)..it’s a fact of life…

and a few shots of one splinter maker I did and a link to the gallery...
    http://www.ronkirn.com/gallery2/index.php?album=Donnie

OH... it's 250 year old Wormy Chestnut.... I couldn't find it listed on Warmoth's site...;)

Ron Kirn
    (dammm I think I just blew my spell checker up :eek:)

Attached Files:

TeleTex82 likes this.
  7. parsaver

parsaver Tele-Meister

Damn! I pulled weed out of my back yard today and after closer inspection....it was a wild flame maple sapling!!! I put it back in the ground with some miracle grow bit it doesn't look to good. I feel as though I've let the only chance to build a whole guitar has just slipped through my fingers.

..I guess its time to go back to poker for a hobby...

Oh BTW......+1 for Ron Kirn :)

8. MyTwangyGuitar

MyTwangyGuitar TDPRI Member

Not all. Here's a guitar made completely from scratch with a one piece body for 1200.00. It is on sale at the moment, still a good deal 1750.00.

Tele style built from scratch.

9. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

I don't understand the issue here. You think he's the only custom builder that does this? He might the only one that admits it but I'm pretty sure he's not the only one doing it. I'm pretty sure Crook also buys his necks from USACG or he did when I got a price form him a couple years ago. I'll bet other builders do to.

10. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I smelt my own metals for my hardware.

SMELT!!!!!

11. Ronkirn

a few more of the Chestnut.... it's jsut taking me a while to find 'em..

r

Attached Files:

12. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

I have the only brass mine this side of the Mississippi, and I take my canary and my pick axe down there e'ry full moon night to harvest my little nuggets of semi goldeness.

(That Chestnut is gorgeous Ron!!)

13. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

Deleted

14. Ronkirn

and there was this beauty, a lefty, 7 string..... it's living happily down under these days..

R

Attached Files:

15. falconer

falconer Tele-Holic

16. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

How is it less impressive that he does whatever the customer wants?

17. falconer

falconer Tele-Holic

I think the poster meant "Those that can't BUILD complaining about those who can." ;)

18. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

ah. :oops:

I misunderstood.

Though, obviously i can't build or buy anything of that quality, so maybe it still applies.... but uh... yeah. uh. oops.

19. falconer

falconer Tele-Holic

Was that a spell checker you wrote yourself, or are you just hiding the fact that you use Microsoft's?

20. Twang Guitars

Twang Guitars Tele-Meister

Oliver Wendell Douglass: "Gentlemen, I'm surprised at you. The American farmer didn't get where he is today by celebrating Christmas with phony trees and wax popcorn, plastic candy canes. Gentlemen, to the American farmer Christmas is real. He goes out with ax in hand, chops down his own tree, brings it back, garlands it with strings of popcorn from his own corn crib, makes cider from his own apple trees. And when Christmas carols ring out in the still of the night, he looks up to the sky and says, 'I'm proud to be an American farmer on Christmas.'

"Bolide", Always great to find another fan of the Great "Green Acres"!

Thanks for the quote, I heard the FIFE as I was reading it too!

Jon

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.