1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ron Kirn necks...from a supplier?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by szechuanking, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falconer

falconer Tele-Holic

Absolutely. My Kirn neck, not purchased but completely hand-made by Ron, is a true example of craftsmanship. Glad we all agree on that point.

Attached Files:

2. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I remember seeing pictures of necks that Ron was building. I think it all depends on what you want to spend and what you want him to make.

By the way Falconer, that is a jaw-dropping neck there. :eek:

3. falconer

falconer Tele-Holic

Exactly. Ron is always up-front about costs and sources. And craftsmanship never takes a back seat.

Attached Files:

4. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

Sounds like a case of those who can't, complaining about those who can.

5. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

If the opinion of others on your choice of instrument matters so much that your ownership of the guitar is lessened by their lack of approval,just lie to them,they won't know any different and everyone will be happy. ;)

Seriously,if I had a Kirn lying about the house I wouldn't give a flying spanner what anyone thought,enjoy the thing for what it is.

6. falconer

falconer Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

The former usually fall into this category:

[​IMG]

7. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

The neck on my barnbuster is a thing of beauty! The finish is beautiful, the frets and nut... everything! Love that thing.

8. scat4me

scat4me Tele-Afflicted

He doesn't cut down his own trees ? I thought he planted them from a private seed stock, prayed over the saplings until they were full grown and then cut them down with a special Tele Neck saw. Next your going to tell me that he doesn't hand wind his own strings!:D

9. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Tempest, meet teapot!

Tim

10. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

were talking about building a guitar, not simply owning one. i guess its just a matter of personal integrity. i could never hand someone a product that someone else made and say "i built this" .

11. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

Sometimes I delude myself that someday my ability will justify getting a Barnbuster.
    That's about as likely as finding one on the side of the road.

12. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

He doesn't. He gives full disclosure.

13. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

can't what? buy a neck from AllParts? i'd rather save $230

14. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

if you read carefully, you'll notice that what i had said about the Q&A was in response to a comment made by Colt. come on now, you can do this... i promise.

15. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

So I'd like to see some pictures of the guitars you've made, including the necks of course.

I'll add to this:
    When someone wants a Ron Kirn guitar, they contact Ron. They are given an option of having the entire guitar made by Ron, or they can opt for having the neck of their choice, finished by Ron. It's their choice, they are paying for it. There's no deceit, no slight of hand, nothing shady. It's the customers choice and it's clearly explained to him. And Ron makes this no secrete. It's all a matter of that the customer wants and is willing to pay for. You're questioning Ron's creditability and his level of craftsmanship, with no basis for doing so.

16. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Well,I haven't been around here long,yet even I knew some necks were outsourced,if I was in the market for a Kirn that fact wouldn't impact at all on my decision to buy. I've not seen a picture of one yet that I wouldn't be proud to own.

17. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

its quite humorous to see how riled up some of you get.

18. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

i'm having trouble trying to figure out who said it was a secret. the original post says clear as day says "i was browsing through the website of ron kirn". leroy, my man, you're going off in a whole nother direction...

i was merely stating that i found it hard to believe that he didnt make his own necks. am i able to question that? why not? nobody is denying the guys ability, i was looking into them myself, hence me visiting his website. i have to say his stuff is nice looking but I was dissapointed when i saw that he didnt scratch the necks. thats all really. then colt had mentioned about somebody asking him about his build, and i could relate to that situation and it is a bit deflating but anyway, i'm gonna go choke on a taco...

19. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

20. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

The majority of guitar necks are made by CNC machines. What difference does it make if the CNC machine is in Ron's workshop or not? As has been said he spends a lot of time and care hand shaping and finishing each one.

I'd hazard a guess that a guitar with a hand made bespoke neck would cost you an awful lot more than Ron charges for his guitars and I seriously doubt you'd notice much difference in the end result.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.