1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ron Kirn necks...from a supplier?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by szechuanking, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

i was browsing through the website of ron kirn and i was shocked to find out that he doesnt scratch his own necks, instead ordering them from a supplier?
    i'm not sure how well that sits...

2. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

At least he discloses it on his website.

3. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Why in the World would that be a concern ?....I doubt that he chops down the Tree either ?

4. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Doesn't bother me.

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

And btw...He does make necks for some Special applications, He has posted about them in the past w/ Pics.

6. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I think he get blanks and then lovingly shapes, grooves, frets, dresses, rolls and finishes them by hand........what difference does it make where the CNC machine sits.

No doubt RK will contribute........

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very few custom tele builders make their necks from scratch.

8. Dellis

Dellis Tele-Meister

Ron Kirn is open about this; there is evidence of that all over this site.

He does finish the necks and shape them as desired- it isn't simply a case of bolting on any old neck.

However, while it would not concern me personally, I can completely understand someone knowing of Kirn as a Tele builder and being surprised that he doesn't completely build the necks... one might expect him to custom build a neck, to fit with his perceived image as a "custom builder."

The neck coming from parts might ask some to question the prices, as they might feel they aren't getting the unique piece they expected and the idea of that which they bought into... even with the shaping and so forth, the base product is something anyone could acquire with a little know-how. Simply; it takes away from "the magic" of a hand built instrument.

Each to their own.

D.

9. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

well put, those were my feelings exactly

10. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

wait a minute...you mean to tell me that he didn't nurture the delicate sapling into a healthy flourishing tree only to harvest it years down the road to make my telecaster neck!? what kinda custom...

11. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I bet he buys the strings too!

12. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

It's your money, if that bothers you then spend it elsewhere.

13. starjag

starjag Tele-Meister

I know Ron does both: his own and also from the best neck suppliers in the industry. If you are thinking about ordering from Ron, I am sure he will be open to this discussion and will do whatever it takes to surpass your needs (within your budget of course). BTW, I own two Teles from Ron.

14. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Oliver Wendell Douglass: "Gentlemen, I'm surprised at you. The American farmer didn't get where he is today by celebrating Christmas with phony trees and wax popcorn, plastic candy canes. Gentlemen, to the American farmer Christmas is real. He goes out with ax in hand, chops down his own tree, brings it back, garlands it with strings of popcorn from his own corn crib, makes cider from his own apple trees. And when Christmas carols ring out in the still of the night, he looks up to the sky and says, 'I'm proud to be an American farmer on Christmas.' "

15. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Builders who do necks from scratch, have quite abit higher base price than that don't.

16. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

True. And I bet it doesn't make a bit of difference in the end.

17. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can't build a better tele style neck than USACG or Allparts. I mean, they are using CNC machines, and their trained technicians finish em up as their job. I can still make a super nice neck, and I do it as a matter of personal gratification. My first few guitars I used aftermarket necks. "Did you build that guitar", me.."Yes, I did", them..."Did you build the neck and everything?"...me:("no....."

18. VicAjax

VicAjax Tele-Meister

Rick Kelly carves his necks by hand, and keeps his prices ridiculously low for what he does. it's one of the main reasons i picked him for my custom build, and the neck on my guitar is unbelievable... best feeling neck i've ever played.

of course, there are downsides to going with Rick (long waits, vague time frames, etc.)... but for me, the pros outweighed the cons.

having said that, a supplier-cut neck wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, and from what I've seen, Kirn's guitars are stunning.

19. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

yea i would dread that Q&A. cause you know theyre immediately less impressed. i would be. the neck is really a measure of the craftsmanship in my opinion, anyone can cut out a body.

20. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Why not contact Ron in the first place and avoid all the BS?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.