1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ron Kirn’s Templates . . end of an era…

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ronkirn, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

envy, envy, covet, covet... Doesn't it say somewhere, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors cruise through Scotland??"

rk

2. ajr969

ajr969 Tele-Meister

This thread reminds me that I have an empty bottle of Laphroaig in the cabinet... Time to re-stock

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

It was a spur of the moment thing..I never even heard of the Whiskey Trail but one of the guys had so we didn't take the low road we took the high(land) road..:)

4. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Knew it wouldn't last, templates are just another fad!

5. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

Sorry I missed out on buying templates from you, Ron. But I think your lasting contribution will be the advice here in the forum.

6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Oh good, a scotch thread...

I started to appreciate scotch when I was about 30 years old and discovered that I could drink scotch on ice all night long and function reasonably well the next day without a hang over. I typically don't get hang overs except from Absenthe but that's a whole different thing.

I like The Balvenie quite a lot. I typically load up on it a duty free when returning from the USA. It's an easy to drink scotch without the creosote peat-bog flavour. Dalwhinnie is another good one. Nice and smooth. I do have a bottle of that super potent creosote flavoured scotch in the cabinet. It cost a bloody fortune and it is a good sipping whiskey, but you need to prime with something a little smoother before taking a taste of it. I can't recall the name off hand so I'll check the name and report back.

I made a trip to Scotland back in 1998 and spent a few days up in Edinburgh. Under the castle they have a scotch tasting venue and they must have 500 scotches or more. I mean the good stuff and because it's Scotland, where the stuff originated, you can try out all sorts of fancy scotches without getting fleeced for doing so. You can also learn how to pronounce some of the names.

My collection is a little lean at the moment. In my cabinet at the moment aside from the bottle of creosote flavoured scotch, I've got a bottle of the world's finest for 2015 Crown Royal special batch. I don't know how it won a world-wide scotch whiskey contest but I got 2 bottles to try out anyway... it's a bit sweet for scotch but in truth it is a Canadian Whiskey so probably a Rye Whiskey. I've got an unopened bottle of Yamazaki 18 from a Japanese friend and a bottle of Glenmorangie 12.

My favourite scotch hands down is Glendronach 15 Revival. I highly recommend it. The first time I had it, I had a glass at room temp, neat, no ice and it was great. I usually drink scotch on ice. It was hands down the smoothest, yet flavourful scotch I've ever had.

Oh, my wife drinks scotch on occasion, neat with a cube of ice.

Barncaster likes this.
  7. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Being Scottish this is all music to my ears, I have visited Islay( pronounced Isla)on many an occasion and sampled many of their fine malts ...an acquired taste is how i would describe the peatiness of Islay malts...
    Slanji Va

Crafty Fox and awasson like this.
  8. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Well, I have another terrible confession........................I do have a Scottish accent, Glasgow born and bred! Just haven't lived there for over 40 years, and no visit for 25. Looks like I've got some serious catching up to do.
    See what you've started Ron...........promoting Scotland tourism now :cry:

9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not Scottish myself but my surname is the mob who are "coming hurrah hurrah!' and I do have Scots as best friends. Along with some very nice Scottish whiskeys, I do like my own self a nice Tullamore Dew, to be sure, to be sure, but it doesn't taste the same out of a bottle as it does out of a crock.

I have a cupboard full of some very good whiskies but it seems to do funny stuff to me now which it never used to. Shyte happens when ya get old! I mainly drink Tsing Tao Beer now, very light and refreshing and it don't make you chase cars down the road.

DC

Crafty Fox likes this.
  10. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Nothing wrong with having a Scottish accent, I have had one all my life and it has never been something I have had to confess about, As my old late dad used to say " never be ashamed of where you came from, you can however be ashamed of where you end up"...
    Glesga probably hasn't changed all that much since you were last here, a few streets have gone and a few pubs went at the same time but other than that it is the same auld "dear green place"..

Crafty Fox likes this.
  11. Ronkirn

it never hurt Bond, James Bond... the original... :p

rk

Crafty Fox and 5ofeight like this.
  12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife moved to the US from UL in the 60s at 6-7 years old. Her parents in their 40s at that time. Her parent never lost any 'brit', and My wide still to this day turns Brit when influenced. Mostly apparent when we watch BBC stuff. If the plot gets into turmoil that she is vested in, her expletives are pretty Brit infused in inflection. 45 years later. ;)

She also would come back form her Mom's British Woman's Club meeting when it was her Mom's turn to host, her tone pretty influenced. :)

Crafty Fox and awasson like this.
  13. awasson

My dad's family hails from the Lennox clan and my mom's from the Colquhoun's. After I read a little history I understood why that never worked out in the long run. Apparently the two clans were mostly opposing one another throughout history.

That aside, I'm a fan of the Scottish accent. I recall sitting on a bus, heading back from the pub, listening with fascination to one of the other passengers chatting with his buddy. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what he was talking about. Eventually I worked it out that he was talking about "water". For the life of me, I couldn't make out what that word was. It sounded fascinating, whatever it was he was going on about but what the heck was he saying... Water. It sounds great with a really strong Scottish accent :lol:

14. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Colleague of mine actually named his daughter "Islay" (pronounced EYE-luh for those of you singing along).

15. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Thank you sir.

Im not sure if many are aware, but its people like Mr Kirn sharing his knowledge that got places like this (not necessarily and specifically this, but like this) to start, thrive and grow.

You are part of internet history, like Aaron Nelson over the diyguitarstompboxes and few others.

To share knowledges you have to create (or acquire) it. You created it.

So again, thank you!

LeftFinger likes this.
  16. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Nah, I've no complaints about my accent, my wife loves it! Just a bit embarrrrrrrrrrrassed about my lack of whisky knowledge. :D

17. Ronkirn

Well .. Australia.. Beer, Shrimp on the barby.... those "shelias" roaming the beach.... it's lot to think about . . . something's gotta make room . . :cool:

rk

Crafty Fox likes this.
  18. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ahh Ron............The correct name for your "shrimps" is actually "prawns" ;) Now you must admit that you've NEVER heard anyone say :- "Don't come the raw shrimp with me mate!" now have you?

DC

19. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

I wouldnt worry about that mate. As we know, whisky is for drinking and it isnt called the water of life because people have become snobs about it...hahaha

Crafty Fox likes this.
  20. awasson

Right... We were talking about scotch and I forgot to take a photo of the Creosote soaked, Peaty Bog flavoured Scotch I have in the cabinet. It's from Islay and has been recently discontinued by the Bruichladdich distillery but it went under the name Bruichladdich Peat.

IMG_2722.jpg
    If you like the flavour of a bonfire or autumn leaf burning in your mouth, it's highly rated. I'll sample it after I'm primed with something like a Macallan or a Glenmorangie first. Heck, tequila is smoother than this stuff.

Tremade likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.