1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ron Kirn’s Templates . . end of an era…

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ronkirn, Nov 30, 2016.

1. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Thank you Mr. Kern!
    Hopefully one of these days I can buy one of your guitars!

2. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

I have the early thin line set. Making my working set was the second time I used a router -- right after messing around with some scrap and trying not separate myself from my appendages.

Even more that the templates, I treasure the books. Reading them the first time was amazing. I still reread them now and then just for the wit. It's like watching Caddyshack or the Blues Brothers for the umteenth time. Great things endure.

Thanks, Ron.

Mbechmann likes this.
  3. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

Ron, I have a set of your templates hanging on the wall in my workshop and a fabulous tele I built from them. Many thanks. On the comments about accuracy, I have two Fender Strats and the body of one is 10 mm (3/8") wider than the other.

4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Ron this isn't the end of an era ..... this is an opportunity for a new era .

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Always sweet to be in before the lock. I got my set a couple years ago. My first thought was: "Hey I could sell first-gen "RK" clone templates, I'll be rich, rich!! My second thought was: If those guys say it's a PITA, maybe I should believe them.

Mr K, thanks again for your generous sharing of your time and knowledge. I always look forward to reading your posts.

6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hand on heart - non-ironic salute and "thank you for your service"

Peace - Deeve

Attached Files:

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I appreciate it all... thanks much.... I hope ya all realize how very much you're driving my detractors nuttier 'n Squirrel poop... Gotta love ya for just that... :D I really didn't expect replies, I just wanted ya to know what's sup.... I get a call, email or whatever several times a week and felt I owed y'all an explanation..

rk

oldgofaster, mrz80, 8barlouie and 5 others like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well shoot, 2016 strikes again.

opend likes this.
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Got your tele template set and was great with the alignment holes to line up exactly the body outline template with the cavity template.
    I've made dozens of great tele bodies.
    The strat set, no alignment holes...
    Thanks for your service.

10. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

If Ron Kirn can have detractors, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Commodore 64 likes this.
  11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Love your writing style and sense of humour Ron, as well as your patience with us amateurs and all the good advice you've given over the years. We salute you!

DC

RogerC likes this.
  12. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I used Robt57's master templates to make a set of my own user templates. I still haven't finished a single guitar - too busy spinning wood and throwing metal chips on the floor. But, Ron, thank you for the contributions to DIY guitar building community.

13. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Great history Ron!

When trying to narrow down all my choices for how to do this stuff, I often wonder how you and others got started at the ground floor.
    I mean, geez, I enter "how to build an electric guitar", and Google has 972,000 results!!!
    If I were in your shoes back in the '80s, I would have shrugged my shoulders and maybe would have built a crooked shelf.

I may not have one of your templates, but I'm no stranger to your instructional threads. Thanks for your contributions. I hope you continue to build guitars, and will consider your posts "must read".

John Nicholas likes this.
  14. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

I believe it was sometime around 2008 when I stumbled upon this thread (http://www.tdpri.com/threads/building-a-guitar-hummmm.88209/) while I was at work, not working. Although I had dreamed of it, I had no idea you could actually build your own guitar at the time.

I now have two sets of your templates that have helped produce 8 or 9 finished guitars (and a giant stack of unfinished bodies in my shop) that have ended up in the hands of players far more talented than me. Just wanted to say thank you!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Ron,
    thanks for being a Pioneer, I had no idea when I got started that such a thing as templates existed... and that was in 2005!

Next time I am in the Jacks area I will try to swing by and check out the shop. Thanks for all your input and for making a "build your own guitar" option available to so many.

16. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Ron.. when I joined this forum you were one of people that pushed me into guitar building.. I enjoyed and couldn't wait to read everything you had to say!! End of an era?? No,, just the beginning of something different!!.. thanks Ron!!

17. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

This seems like the perfect time to announce my new line of telecaster templates:

Introducing the 'GoldRon Era' reliced templates set.

They will be to Ron's exacting specifications with authentic looking coffee stains, glue marks, scuffs, scratches... and router slips... ;-)

I think your templates have doubled in value as of yesterday...

Thanks for your continued support on this forum! Sad times

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Dang it! I'm too late for my order. Thanks for being one of the stokers Ron! It's a very good thing going here.
    Rob

19. TrainedChimp

TrainedChimp TDPRI Member

I remember the 80's turtle adds too. What?!? I could buy a nice neck and install it on my piece-of-crap $80 Kramer? Cool and it'll look like Fender too. The stoke level was high. Then I took that neck off the Kramer and assembled my first parts caster after seeing one of those adds. I retired that neck about 2 years ago.

20. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Thanks Ron. I have 3 sets, Tele, Strat, and Jazzmaster. And I always look forward to your input and outlook on things.
    Are you retiring from everything? or just no more templates?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.