Ron Ellis vs. Fred Stuart pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by SixShooter, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Looking at pickups for a blackguard replica build. The Ron Ellis are supposed to be outstanding and nail the sound of the original blackguards. The Fred Stuart pickups get great reviews as well. How do they compare? Does anyone own both pairs?

BTW, the Fred Stuarts are 'on sale' for $227 right now. The Ron Ellis one's go for $300.

2. MrDJoers

MrDJoers Tele-Holic

Bill Hullett would most likely have tried them both. Jacob Peterson did too now that I think about it.

3. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

$300!

4. Seegs

Seegs TDPRI Member

Ellis has more than one set avaliable and you can mix and match different bridge with neck pups...

currently I have the 52 T bridge pup paired with the Standard + neck pup...this is in a GVCG Blackguard tele which previously had the Stuart BG pups...which I love in it...

I've also had the Tall neck pup and 50 B´broadcaster bridge pup...the tall was mid scooped and very clear if not stratty sounding...I prefer my tele neck pups to sound like a tele so the Standard + neck pup is more my thing...the broadcaster is just a rock beast of a pup...almost like a humbucker but with better treble and articulation...

In comparison to the Stuart BG neck pup the Ellis neck pup is louder...more articulate and has more depth...harmonic content and sparkle/chime than the Stuart neck pup which is a very soft dark and woody sounding pup...the Ellis bridge pup is fatter with less treble and more harmonic content than the Stuart bridge...

I love the Stuarts but with Ellis's my guitar is more alive...louder and basically plays itself while still retaining that old school vibe...

plus Ron is truly a gentleman who has some of the best customer service I have yet to experience...

I am smitten by his pups and have just ordered 5 more Ellis pups to help me dial in a Thinline tele that I've just acquired...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Is Ron Ellis still making these pickups? Is anybody willing to share Ron's contact information?
    Thanks

6. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Tele-Holic

I seem to remember someone posting Ron's email in another thread on his pickups. He is still making pickups, but last I heard the wait was 3 1/2 months. I am very very tempted to order Ron's 52 because of Seegs, Damn You Seegs!!!

7. SixShooter

You sold me. I want the best for this guitar.

8. jefsut

jefsut Tele-Meister

Maybe just get some Bill Lawrence Keystones and put that extra cash towards an amp?

9. Seegs

Seegs TDPRI Member

yes he is...I think he's about 12 weeks backordered now...I believe it's gonna get longer...here ya go...

t2ellis@pacbell.net

Sorry Tm but I've just ordered one of each (except the tall neck) of his pups because I couldn't decide which ones to get for my Thinline...:D

hope you like em;)

Chow,
    Seegs

10. SixShooter

I have some keystones in a Tele right now. Like 'em alot, just looking to replicate a blackguard.

11. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nachocaster

The relic 0514 that Nacho gifted me with last year has a set of Ron Ellis pickups in it .....I can't tell you which model they are (its just what it came with) but I can easily say that its the best sounding Tele I've ever owned and th notes really Jump thru the guitar (I know that sounds lame , but Its a feeling that you get with his pickups.... VERY responsive and wonderful tone!!!)

Bill Hullett

12. the-tone

the-tone Tele-Meister

@ Bill ..... I know exactly what you're saying, I feel the same way. To me, Ron's pickups are in a whole different league. He's got something I've never found in any other pickups. No offense meant towards other builders. I haven't tried everything out there, but I've been through some 10-15 brands before Rons.

Here's 2 clips of Ron's Broadcaster bridge:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW2sqbcyMns
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuQAzc3NLfA

13. sean001

sean001 Tele-Meister

I just clicked both your links and YouTube says they are both removed by the user? Bummer, I was hot to hear the Ellis magic.

14. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

I've never tried Ron Ellis pickups but the Stuart Blackguard set is really something. They are great pickups especially played through a bright Fender amp. They don't have the punch and clarity of alnico V pups but they have that very special mix of sweetness and complexity which makes them versatile for clean or semi clean tones (the bridge pup is also top notch with more gain !). The set provides 3 useful different tones, with lots of sweet spots. If the Ellis are that much better they must be the shnit!

15. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I just picked up a Stuart Blackguard bridge pickup that sounds so great that I see no reason to order a Ron Ellis pickup and then wait a year to receive it! (yes apparently he is backordered a year out now...)

The Stuart Blackguard sounds like a great vintage Telecaster pickup... I really see no need for something "better". This pickup is already phenomenal. Now its really up to me to improve my own skills if I want to sound better. And I'm not convinced that an Ellis pickup would be better in my particular Tele for my own type of playing...maybe... doesn't matter, this Stuart pickup is plenty great enough

16. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

The Stuart Blackguards are amazing Tele pickups (as is his Lapwrap bridge). I've never tried Ellis, but I have a hard time imagining they'd be be that much better- if at all. So much of pickup preference is subjective.

17. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

Ellis is just in vogue right now. not to take away from his pups, which are great, but once the silliness has subsided he'll take his place along fred and don mare as a great pickup winder - not the pickup winder.

18. swleamon

swleamon Tele-Holic

Finally, a voice of reason! Thank you.

19. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

I remember Ron Ellis as Alan Hamel's business partner back when Alan Hamel was still around and winding pickups. Both Alan and Fred Stuart worked for Fender Custom Shop and had access to vintage Fender secret sauce for winding pickups. I would assume that Ron Ellis is carrying on the manufacturing of pickups that are same or similar to Alan Hamel's (just a guess)...and if so they are probably very similar to Fred Stuarts (just another guess)

20. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

BrianF

While its fair to say that Fred Stuart, Allan Hamel , And Ron Ellis are by far the most accurate when making vintage vibe pickups...

It would be like saying that Wendys, Burger King, and Ruth Criss steak house were the same because they all serve beef.....

Brian....I think he lives right in your area... He's a great guy, I know he'd let you hear em!!!

Bill Hullett

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.