Ron Ellis- completely MIA?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gratefuliving, Feb 7, 2017.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Man oh man I tell you what!!!!! People are excited here because it is 40 degrees here today and the snow is melting, but it will get cold again in the next few days.... I've got a teenager who is crazy about Baseball, I kind of doubt his high school team's season is gonna start in late March like the schedule says....

Rich_S and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Last year, my Squier CV Thinline was sounding really awful. Really bassy, muddy sounds. No clarity. No real twang. I hadn't been playing it for some time, and I had forgotten how lifeless it sounded. I thought about buying some expensive pickups to fix the problem.
    Then I turned the tone knob up.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear that.

I caddied quite a few rounds, but I still could not figure out why we were doing what we were doing. Except, I got paid and kids like money!!!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Good overall plan, I HAVE DONE THAT. Most all the guys I used to play with are either dead or so infirm they just sit and watch Oprah reruns all day at the old folks home. My plan is to drop dead on the golf course in the green farthest from the club house. The ambulance will track up at least 9 fairways getting there to carry by carcass off, and I will have my revenge on the S.O.B at last!

tonyj likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Nice thing about pickups is you can change 'em and not tell anybody!

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

It took me a long time to learn that.

7. Toto'sDad

Would you mind if I added to your ALMOST perfect observation this tiny additional phrase. And no one will notice, OR be any the wiser! :lol::lol::lol:

8. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I had a similar experience when I realized I needed to change strings.

PeterUK likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

"Wait, those don't sound like Fralins! What are you tryna pull there?"--Nobody Ever

w3stie likes this.
  10. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I would imagine Brad Paisley using Fralin Blues Specials had some influence on Nashville guitarists at the time. Although one could argue that his souped up Vox AC30's and Dr Z's played at stadium level volumes had more of a tone shaping element to his sound....

Having said that, and back to the original topic: Paisley did have a Ron Ellis pickup all over the song "Alcohol" and that album (5th Gear?). And that was my favorite tone of his that I've heard....

I really do like Ellis pickups,I sincerely think there is a difference in quality of some pickups, and Ellis is one of the best...

Having said that, my Telecaster has a Don Mare 4709 "Joel Foy" bridge pickup in it.... I count Mare as among the very very best

Stratohacker and PeterUK like this.
  11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

No one really knows. Asking will cause him to refuse to answer

R. Stratenstein and TheGoodTexan like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I've had similar problems with the volume knob, and tone knob, and volume knob, and tone knob. I have an AV 72 Tele Custom, it's so complicated having four knobs to deal with, then there's the switch for the pickups, but it's up on the upper bout where you could easily miss it. Then there's that cord that goes in the wall socket that comes out of the back of my amp, when that thing is kicked out of the wall, the guitar is not NEARLY as loud. Everyone says the Deluxe Reverb Reissue is plenty loud enough having only 22 watts of power, but hey, unplug that thingy from the wall, and it's definitely a loser on volume.

Modman68 likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Golf is definitely not for the faint of heart, I've played for more than 50 years, and thousands without exaggeration of rounds, practiced hitting as many as 500 practice balls a day at one point in my life. I've walked on putting greens far enough to go from my house in B-town to Amarillo. Now that I've reached that place in life (age) no matter what I do, or how much I work at it, I will only get worse, I realize golf is a cruel taskmaster. It's as if one of my old girlfriends had devised a means of exacting revenge.

I'm too old to play, too young, and stubborn to quit! Until I had my hip replaced I walked and carried my bag, it's on average 4 & 1/2 miles around a golf course, carrying fifteen pounds + of bag on your shoulder. Now I pay for the cart, and grumble as I ride. You've got to love the game, or just be flat out crazy to play it. The jury is still out on which category I fall under.

14. Toto'sDad

I was the world's worst caddy. I caddied for a guy in the city championship one year, by the end of the second day of the tournament we were arguing over which one of was going to hit the shot. He would have fired me, but I had already exhausted him arguing with him to the point he was too weak to carry the bag. Still WE finished in eighth place, right smack dab in the middle of the field, not bad considering the caddy my player had.

15. Toto'sDad

I played a lot of rounds with the guy who I caddied for. He was a much better player than I was, but even a blind hog stumbles onto an acorn if he roots around long enough. We were playing from the tips getting him ready for the tournament, my unusually good shots being assisted by the wind, mother nature, and unnaturally good luck, and a host of fortunate good bounces put me a stroke ahead of him on the front nine. He didn't say anything on 10, then nothing on 11, but just as we walked up to the tee box on 12 he said, "you know you beat me on the front nine, and that ain't ever gonna happen again." He was right, it never happened again.

Nickadermis, tonyj and 1955 like this.
  16. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I wonder if Brad Paisley or Lee Roy Parnell had to wait months for pick ups with no communication? I suspect not.

When Ron appeared at NAMM to announce the launch of his Lee Roy Parnell humbuckers, I suspect that many of the existing waiting list customers thought two things:

1. At least he’s alive even though he can’t use a keyboard or phone; and/or
    2. At Jeez. Now he’s pandering to celebrities, I’ll never get my pick ups!

Re: Brad Paisley’s tone. I’ve always found it a little nasally. Is that just me? I’d always associated this with the Dr. Z amps, but it could be the pick ups.

:) Peter

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I wish my tone was nasally! ;)

PeterUK likes this.
  18. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah. Me too. I'd have to adjust the tone knob!

:D Peter

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Yeah, I remember that guitar to this day. Perfect combo. Rutters amazingly crafted guitar and smoking' pickups . . . Wowee!

AJ Love, PeterUK and boris bubbanov like this.
  20. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

That's the frustrating thing about the whole Ellis situation. Brother Redd (and other great pickers) give him a ringing endorsement and alot of folks are willing to give him a 300 dollar loan for six months but he still can't deliver a product on time if reports are accurate. As far as communication goes, he seems to have no problem accepting the initial contact and receiving the cash. To this date none of his defenders have been able to give me a reason why he can have a King of Tone type wait list. It seems to me that threads like this would be non existent if he did. For the record, have heard Mr. Volkaert make a Squier Bigsby tele (and any other guitar he has played) sound really good as well.

Stratohacker and Redd Volkaert like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.