Roman Colosseum, and Football Colosseum, about the same?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've watched about ten football games so far this year, and I was struck by the similarities between today and the days of the Romans. I know nothing about the Romans other than what I've seen in the movies where the mighty gladiator overcomes all and is either rewarded or killed by the whim of the head guy in charge. The BEST people got all of of the good seats, and the rubbish folks got to sit way back there.

Looking at the football games, I was struck by the similarities, the young good looking womens, and their rich sugar daddies are all either sitting in nice airconditioned/heated rooms looking out through a HGTV wall of glass at the game, or the braver rich souls are right down there on the line hobnobbing with the Hollywoodizes and world shakers.

The really good football players win, and get big buckets of money, the not as good football players get smaller buckets of money. But up there somewhere, in each of those colosseums is a big daddy, just like the big daddy of old who holds their future in his hands. If he gives the thumbs down, away goes the bucket of money, and the players is resigned to making insurance commercials. Does anything ever really change? What about this freewill, predestination, atoms in a mist stuff?

2. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

My favorite word is vomitorium.

That is another similarity between the two.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

In the Roman colosseum, the really good gladiators won freedom and citizenship, the not so good ones died.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Probably the biggest difference between now and then is death. The Roman colleseum had a lot of feral cats too, even when I want there. If Rome had a NFL team the owner would want something larger or would move to Naples.

Stubee, tfarny and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They really are about the same thing. People give up their bodies for money and cred.
    Boxing, which I love, but even more so.......

Interesting: (paraphrased from meory) Muhammad Ali testified to Congress when they were thinking of banning boxing as "too brutal". The senator asked him, "if boxing isn't rigged and crooked, how is it you call out what round you will win in so regularly?"
    Ali said: "It takes a criminal to recognize a criminal" !
    They were all laughing even the senators!

Stubee, bebopbrain and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

On a visit to Rome, I was getting off a train in the city, walking out with the wife of my friend. Outside, she tried to explain to me our separate ways of getting home later. But, I could barely register this, as right behind her, across the street was a picture perfect, genuine, historically correct colosseum.

The juxtaposition of everyday life with such a landmark of history. I need a better word choice than landmark.

Anyway, it was a little disorienting, as my field of vision and understanding was switching back and forth, almost causing me to lose my balance.

7. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Eh, if watching football or UFC or whatever gives the general populous enough of a violence boner and stops the desire to go back to actual killing as entertainment, then that’s good.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Nope. Too many rules these modern days. I'll see a ball game when they play with only leather helmets. Lets see how hard they hit, or get hit then. And sack nearly all the rules.

Toto'sDad and buster poser like this.
  9. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup, and ironically, the helmets are the reason all these dudes have CTF. I haven't watched a snap since League of Denial and won't.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

You think after being a star in the NFL, and then falling from grace, losing the cars, the fancy hotel rooms, the women, the booze, and having to do insurance commercials to make a living isn't the same as being dead for one the NFL stars who's fallen?

AAT65 likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

It would be good if there wasn't a ten yard penalty for farting too close to the quarterbacks face.

12. Toto'sDad

TWWWEEEETTTTT. Referees confer, head referee announces fifteen yard penalty for players shadow falling on receivers left foot while he was attempting to catch a thirty five yard pass RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CLOSE UP CAMERA!

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

to answer the title question ; they would be the same if american foot ball was played with live hand grenades, LOL

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

The good old days

[​IMG]

nojazzhere, Hey_you and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

Yeah like laser tag is a lot like warfare.

UFC deathmatches pay per view, now your talking

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Guarantee there would be some breakfast cereal, and soda pop companies put their money on the line for that. Budweiser, and Coors for sure!

17. afterdarkmusic

afterdarkmusic TDPRI Member

You're lookin' for Rugby, sir.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Toto'sDad, Hey_you, glenlivet and 2 others like this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

OMG. The church sacked the Coliseum for marble to build the Vatican. What the tourists visit are the eviscerated bones. Want to see the marble, take a tour of the Vatican. It’ll cost you. G*d may be all powerful but He doesn’t print money.

And because Rome and Naples have been mentioned in this thread, when in Rome…

There’s a fare for busses and local trains that only tourists pay. We found this out when we got on a train heading in the wrong direction. My wife and I were overheard discussing buying tickets to get on the train back. A British woman opened her handbag and handed us a stack of tickets. She said that if a transit monitor boarded to show him two tickets and ask how to use them. There are too few monitors so everyone holds onto a few tickets just in case. Speaking English, you’re a tourist and they have better ways to fleece you.

When in Naples… The monitors board busses regularly to check that tickets are used. A ticket, thinner than a business card has to be inserted into a narrow slot in the head of the ticket machine while the bus bounces over pot holes in the barely paved roadway. To do this, you have to hold the ticket machine with one hand and insert the ticket with the other… leaving your wallet or purse exposed to the omnipresent pickpockets. Don’t play the game and the monitor fines you. My wife carried a party purse inside her jacket. I carried my wallet in a zipped pocket inside my jacket.

When in Florence… Eat. The food is fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  19. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Nope. Bread and circuses.

20. Sconnie

Sconnie Friend of Leo's

Just be glad the intermission show isn't an execution as was the norm between games at the colosseum.

Listen to Dan Carlin's Painfotainment, he ties together more threads on this subject than you'd like haha.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.