Rolling Stone's Top 40 Punk Albums of all time ;)

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Marquee Moon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

I feel the same way, and before anyone says it is because i don't like female bands, I love joan jett, the pretenders, x ray spex, heart etc.

2. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

They've made quite the resurgence with the rocketing popularity of Carrie Brownstein.

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I dunno. I think Rat Scabies had more than a bit of Bonham and Moon in him, but the Damned were never embarrassed of being able to play their instruments. Still can’t get over what a prog fan the good Captain turned out to be!

Cheers,
    Geoff

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I'm probably gonna be barking up the wrong tree in the wrong forest, but if they're going to pretend that Blink-182 has anything making them punk, I contend there's a lot of good ska-punk being left off here. Rancid, Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Streetlight Manifesto are all pretty obvious names that could contend for a spot imo.

Again, this is if we're accepting that there's a world where Blink-182 belongs within 10 miles of this list.

5. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Holic

The only punk that I ever really listened to or cared about is the Monks. Bad Habits was a great album from the early 80's that I used to listen to while I lived in Canada. I don't think they were very popular in the states at that time.

6. Geoff738

Delete. Double post.

7. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I'm glad to see somebody say this. While I agree that these lists are silly and exist more as clickbait than anything else, they also serve a real function: introducing younger and/or less knowledgeable/experienced people to bands and records that they otherwise wouldn't know about. My musical tastes were shaped more by reviews and lists than I care to admit. Pitchfork was particularly influential for my generation and they did a pile of these things. Probably more important than anything other than magazine interviews with musicians I admire, if I'm being honest.

Marquee Moon likes this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The longevity of this thread makes me want to facepalm then listen to post rock. Ya punks.

9. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Ok, I can see where you a MM are going with that. In the 70s, I don't remember the industry being that well developed outside of the usual commercial mags like Rolling Stone, to which I paid minimal attention to.

It was a lot of word of mouth, but I was also lucky to live in cities that had a scene, or when I didn't, to have friends that did.

ahiddentableau and Marquee Moon like this.
  10. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

The list sounds like it was written by people who didn't really listen to punk, which is so UN-PUNK!

11. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

The influence of the KinKs should not be overlooked. Mick Avory's drumming is worth mentioning. It definitely ain't Keith Moon or Bonham, but more straightforward time signatures of the type you later heard in many punk bands.

But I've long believed "You Really Got Me" is the most influential song in the history of rock and roll. Dave Davies' distorted, overdriven guitar sound influenced many rock and roll genres - especially punk and heavy metal. This was a year ahead of the Who's "My Generation."

As they used to say: "God save the KinKs."

Toast, Greg_L and Geoff738 like this.
  12. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Agreed. Good points. Definitely +1 on The Kinks.

13. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Punk means different things to different people. To me punk was over by the early eighties. Green Day and Blink 182 need not apply.

As long as Ramones, Clash, Pistols, Stooges are 1,2,3,4, I won't complain too much.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. Geoff738

Ok, instead of saying you’re no rock’n’roll fun, I’m saying you’re no fun. No Fun at all. No Fun with a capital Iggy and the Stooges No Fun :) Anything for an excuse to post this.

Freaks me out how upfront the clap track is. As loud or louder than the drums.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Marquee Moon likes this.
  15. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

That's probably a lot of it. I grew up in the sticks. There was never a local scene of any consequence. I'm not saying nobody listened to music and nobody talked about it. Word of mouth is always going to matter to significant extent. But when it came to anything outside of the mainstream, the internet was basically all I had. Word of mouth and stuff like these internet lists have seemingly merged into some kind of new force/entity--to the point where I'm wondering if word of mouth and internet exposure has become a distinction without a difference. When word of mouth = YouTube algos, surely there are downsides.

Gotta wonder if something valuable is being lost, though. In the past decade or so I almost never hear people talk about music. When I was younger it was one of the most common subjects. But not so much anymore (though it could be more a comment on the company I've been keeping than anything else).

kookaburra and Marquee Moon like this.
  16. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I say Pah! to this list. Everything you need to know about punk is on this album right here:

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

WTH is that!

THESE are The Monks!

...and they are so punk that they aren't punk.

18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Good old Canadian rhyming slang!

I know Nice Legs as a novelty hit( and one that probably wouldn’t get played on the radio now) and it never really occurred to me the band had a life beyond that.
    They didn’t look very punk but 1979 and it’s certainly not disco, blues rock or prog so maybe they were. Although, according to Wikipedia, as they were mostly ex members of The Strawbs so at the time they were regarded as plastic punks. It also says big in Canada, who knew ( apart from Canadians, obviously).

19. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You can't be serious? :lol:

If you think that's punk, you ought to know that three of the Monks were former members of Strawbs

Two of whom were later Hudson-Ford.

Before becoming The Monks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Habits_(The_Monks_album)

:lol:

Marquee Moon likes this.
  20. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

how old are you if I may ask? I'm in my early 30s and my generation were really passionate about music. At least I think so. Today kids mostly have mumble rap to listen to, which I imagine is hard to get excited about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.